Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Auto Ordnance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Auto Ordnance?

can anyone tell me about the quality of Auto Ordnance 1911s? i'm looking for a 1911 that looks exactly like what the military used to use and i haven't seen one that looks more authenic the ones by Auto Ordnance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Their are mixed reviews/thoughts on many forums. Some say the older versions were crap and the newer versions better and vice versa. I had one of the older versions and can't remember much about it other than it always went 'bang'.
I got a Remington 1911R1, plain jane on impulse. It looked the part, however no lanyard. It has the plain wooden/checkered stocks/grips. Shoots very well and never looked back.
Did you take a look at the Springfields or the Rock Islands?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bought two when they first came out years ago. Gave one to my brother and the other remains in my rack. They both have functioned well and serve their purpose. I cant speak to the "newer" ones or that I am aware of any differences between them.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #4

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The Auto Ordnance is a good Mil Spec 1911. I have owned some of them in the past and have never had any problems with them. I have also used them as a base gun in some custom builds. The AO should serve you well if you get one..

Jim...........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #5

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I too had a older one-
Don't recall any problems with it--
Guess it didn't impress me enuff to keep it tho

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Have you looked at Colt?

My Colt Model 01911ANVIII;

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Have you looked at Colt?

My Colt Model 01911ANVIII;

yes and i don't think they are making anymore models like the one you have and if they were i'd get one as fast as i could. i do own a Colt Series 70 1911 though and plan on getting more colts in the future. but for the 1911 i want at the moment i want one that is as much of an authentic copy of the 1911s the military used during the WWII, Korea, Vietnam era. and i can't find any other that look more authentic than the Auto Ordnance models. another 1911 that i like very much is the Springfield Mil-Specs even though they don't look as much like the real deal as the Auto Ordnance.

thanks very much to everyone else here for helping with info as well.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Springfield has a GI model that very authentic. Hard to find but very close to the old military models

Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #9

When a handgun Mfg. wants to get their products sold in the USA, they get a lot of Advertisement out to the firearm buying public. They get their products reviewed in the major firearm Mags. How they get good reviews is to cotton up to the reviewers, meaning giving them things to make them happy reviewers. They surly understand they need to grease the gears and wheels to get things rolling in their favor. A good example is Kimber they leave no stone unturned in getting good reviews, even as their quality is failing. So we don't see a lot of real coverage for the Auto Ordnance 1911s, even as A.O. is a top firearm Mfg. on a smaler scale then Kimber Colt and S&W also Springfield Armory. So it's up to the people who have bought their products to stand up for their 1911s.

Last edited by rifleshooter474; 05-02-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As others have noted, reviews have been mixed. Reportedly, the newer AOs (Kahr owned) are better than the older West Hurley AOs. FWIW, I've had a West Hurley AO for over 25 years and after replacing the junk mag that came with it and polishing the feed ramp, it's been 100% with every ammo type I've tried. In my experience the majority, likely not all, of the bad mouthing of the AOs comes from couch commandos who never saw, much less owned or fired one.

Last edited by NickySantoro; 05-03-2012 at 09:08 PM.