Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Auto Ordnance 1911A1 Feed problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8422 Times on 3652 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Bought an AO back in 1987. Was shooting a few military matches that required "rack issue" quality guns. Still have it.

Most autos DO need SOME degree of break-in, but should be doing better than that. They can be finicky on mags. Would try swapping, as the folks said.

Disgusting thing about mine is that it LOVES the really CHEEP aluminum cased non reloadable Blazer ammo. Likes it better than my handloads or military match. Have actually won a couple of matches shooting that stuff. Depressing, I tell ya!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

firelt Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Actually 1911s often tend to get more reliable as you use them. The early original ones anyway. There are so many variables to look at when making a clone though. Auto Ordnance started making them fairly early in the clone wars years. You could try checking to make sure everything is within published US Govt 1911a1 dimensional specs. A hole drilled a few hundreths off center can really effect performance. Some manufacturers pay attention to that stuff for awhile, then forget, then remember again when the complaints start. Definitely pick up some quality mags and try again. This time start off with generic 230 gr. hardball (which is after all what it was designed for). Hopefully your second range day will be better than the first.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #13

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelt View Post
Thanks all. First step will be to try a new/different magazine. If that doesn't work, I'll go to different ammo. I'm no stranger to auto pistols, but this is my first Auto Ordnance.
If you never listen to me before, do yourself a favor and pay attention to this old man.

Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines Call Aaron @ Tripp (877.837.9445) and order one. (Tell him canebrake said hi.)

Before you buy any mag, read the following;

Tripp’s Cobra Magazine Test

I bought a kimber pro carry II

1911 and Hollow Points

1911 magazine question, Cane..Anyone

Upgrade your Mags[/QUOTE]

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

TRy the Chip McCormick mags. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=4294846219&

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!

Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Same problem only worse

I just purchased an AO 1911 on sept 14 of this year. That weekend I went out and had feeding issues, ejecting issues and it was about 50% of the time. I am using federal blazer ammo 230 gr. The gun shop I bought it from said it was the magazine and gave me a none oem magazine. It worked better but the slide still would not close properly when chambering a round.

The gun shop would not return and said go through auto ordanance for the return. After calling them and getting a prepaid shipping label, I sent it out 2 weeks ago with a letter highlighting my dissatisfaction of a brand new firearm performing this way. I did not want it to be fixed but I want it returned. I called them today to check up on the return. This time they transfered me to a manager named Timothy Pierce and he explained there are no returns, only exchanges or repairs.

I'm hoping the gun shop I bought it from will take it back, as I don't want it anymore. All the time and gas spent trying to deal with this has put a bad taste in my mouth.

Hope you have better luck

Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Sorry to hear of your problems.

The AO (when functioning correctly) is not a bad firearm.

But the thing to do is get new mags and replace the springs. As an inexpensive firearm, the manufacturer will not put "Top End" springs in it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

firelt Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just posted the same problems with one I got in August. Wish I would have seen your post first. I have tried different mags and it still is doing the same thing. I am also not shooting it limp wristed.
Luckily I won this gun in a raffle so dont have a lot invested in it. Problem is I like shooting it and I shoot better with the 1911 then my other guns. I am not sure if it is worth investing having a gunsmith take a look at it or just junk it.
Please post how the different mag works. As mentioned I tried a different brand and even ordered another AO mag for it. From what I read the Auto Ordnance 1911 are very picky on the magazine and warn that different mags wont work. Have you also had problems with the slide release lever? When mine jammed once I took it to a gunsmith and they said the slide release lever was coming out, like when you break it down, and that caused the jam.

Ken

Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Timothy Pierce from Auto Ordnance called me back about 2 weeks ago and explained that they had put the wrong extractor and would replace it. He said he tested it personally and it was shooting fine. I received my 1911 back from the factory 3 days before Thanksgiving. I took it out to the range on Turkey day and fed 200 rounds through it. It jammed once.
For magazines I don't recommend using only the factory mag. It does not load easy and the spring seems very stiff. I use the Wilson Combat and have great success with them. It also holds one more round than the factory mag but the plastic does not seat flush with the bottom of the grip.

Quote:
I am not sure if it is worth investing having a gunsmith take a look at it or just junk it.
I would definitely call Tim at Auto ordnance and see what he can do for you.
Let me know how it goes. I hope this was helpful.

Best of luck
Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Chip MCormick Shooting Star mags

Midway has them on sale now. I got 4 of the match mags with baseplates. Not a single problem and they have a full return warranty. Ordering 4 more!

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey Boston, Thanks for the info and update it is much appreciated. I will see if I can get ahold of Tim tomorrow and see what he has to say. Like I said when it does work I love this gun so I would really like to get it working right.

Ken