Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Armscor or Norinco? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/armscor-norinco-10174/)

AsmelEduardo 01-21-2009 02:39 PM

Armscor or Norinco?

Venezuela can't import firearms from the States (the States have a embargo over Venezuela for firearms), so we cant't find american made firearms, in 1911 type we only can find Armscor (It's the same Rock River Arms they says) and Norinco... a friend of mine is convinced that he want a 1911 even if .45ACP it's not allowed for carry... so what do you recomend? Armscor or Norinco? and why.... :confused:
Regards.

Hawg 01-21-2009 05:37 PM

Norinco hands down. It's made of better steel. In fact it's made of better steel than Colt's are. Colt's are made from 4140 ordnance steel and Norincos are made with 5100 tool steel. Armscor are cast steel. Not that there's anything wrong with cast and the Armscor's are good guns but if you have a choice go with Norinco. BTW the mags for both are junk.

big shrek 02-11-2009 03:10 AM

ARMSCOR used to be Squires-Bingham Co. Inc. Manila, Phillipines.

They make nice .22's, I've got no experience with their larger weapons.

mr1911 02-11-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg (Post 64412)
Norinco hands down. It's made of better steel. In fact it's made of better steel than Colt's are. Colt's are made from 4140 ordnance steel and Norincos are made with 5100 tool steel. Armscor are cast steel. Not that there's anything wrong with cast and the Armscor's are good guns but if you have a choice go with Norinco. BTW the mags for both are junk.

As a machinist and a Colt owner I'm very curious as to where you get your facts, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, so please forgive me, but there are a lot of ol' wives tales on the internet about Norinco quality and I have to laugh quite often at what people believe about these guns.
People throw around numbers and claim that these guns are not only as good but superior to American examples.
As someone who has machined tool steels imported from all over the world and heat treated them for industrial puposes I can tell you Chinese made tool steels are not what they CLAIM to be, the M-14 reciever copies were such a disaster they were a complete failure before the import ban.

That having been said, I would agree with you that A norinco would probably be a better choice than an armscor, I've seen metal quality and machining from armscor that make pot metal cap guns look good.

Dillinger 02-11-2009 07:14 PM

I vote for move to the States where you can get a real 1911. :D

JD

AsmelEduardo 02-11-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 70296)
I vote for move to the States where you can get a real 1911. :D
JD

:rolleyes: Im working on that ;)

Dillinger 02-11-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo (Post 70326)
:rolleyes: Im working on that ;)

You get up in my neck of the woods and I got a bed you can crash in for a couple of nights, a couple of squares a day and I will take you to the range and let you play with some cool toys. :D

JD

Minionsram 02-11-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 70328)
You get up in my neck of the woods and I got a bed you can crash in for a couple of nights, a couple of squares a day and I will take you to the range and let you play with some cool toys. :D

JD

Hey JD you have alot of other members that would take you up on that offer too!!

Dillinger 02-11-2009 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
^ We are quite hospitable at the Dillinger residence. Just about anything can be arranged if the right person comes with the right attitude, interests and bottle of Silver Patrone for Mrs. JD. :D

Seriously though, I am available for range time if any of you guys get through this part of the country. Got a few things you guys might like to try out in the closet. :p

JD

AsmelEduardo 02-11-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 70352)
^ We are quite hospitable at the Dillinger residence. Just about anything can be arranged if the right person comes with the right attitude, interests and bottle of Silver Patrone for Mrs. JD. :D
Seriously though, I am available for range time if any of you guys get through this part of the country. Got a few things you guys might like to try out in the closet. :p
JD

I have to take the double of supplies when I go to visit Cane in late September (If the things go according to plan), I must find a way to bring you the bottle of rum and a good cuban cigar. :D