Anyone have some good custom 1911 ideas? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Anyone have some good custom 1911 ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus

Bead blasting is not a coating or treatment. It is simply little little beads that are blasted by air. On a stainless gun, it is used to "scuff-up" the finish on a very small scale. It gives the appearance of a matte finish. At any time, I can send that same gun off to be polished and have it back looking as shiny as a nickel finish. And I can have it bead blasted again to look like it does now. Stainless is very forgiving, versatile, durable, and low maintenance.
Thanks I guess What I should have said was there anything you did to prevent any rust from happening. I am very familiar with bead blasting just wondering if you did anything to help protect other that the stainless metal it already is?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #32

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesugg

Thanks I guess What I should have said was there anything you did to prevent any rust from happening. I am very familiar with bead blasting just wondering if you did anything to help protect other that the stainless metal it already is?
There's all kinds of clear spray ons. Dura coat makes some.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney

There's all kinds of clear spray ons. Dura coat makes some.
That's the same thing I was thinking just didn't know enough about dura coats line lol. Thank you

Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #34

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:

Stainless is still stainless no matter if it's beadblasted or polished shiny. The carbon content in the steel will determine how susceptible it is to rust. Usually I just wipe mine off with a clean rag before i put them away and I've never had a stainless gun rust.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #35

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:

That's the same thing I was thinking just didn't know enough about dura coats line lol. Thank you
I did a Duracoat project on a Citadel 1911 that was parkerized. They say Duracoating on top of parkerized is ideal so that the Duracoat bonds well. I followed instructions to the letter and it was a mediocre result. Duracoat first peeled off the heads of the pins as I was putting the gun back together. Then it started flaking off the face of the hammer where it was striking the firing pin. The little details like that made the whole thing look pretty poor. Looked good from a distance, but up close it was pretty sorry. I would not recommend Duracoat.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #36

Thank you for that advice