Anybody know when a "regular" Browning 1911-45 will become available?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Anybody know when a "regular" Browning 1911-45 will become available?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anybody know when a "regular" Browning 1911-45 will become available?

I have the non-gift-box Browning 1911-22 and like it a lot, but I haven't been able to find a 1911-45 locally -- one I can shoot, not keep locked up NIB in the gun safe.

Anybody have any idea if they're available? If not, any rumors or speculation why they have been delayed?

Thanks.

Jim

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #2

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Not an answer but a question, how much did that Browning 1911-22 set you back? I saw one and thought about buying it for my son but at the price I could see myself buying a 22 when I could get a decent .45, 9mm, .40 cal for the same price.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #3

Default Cost of a Browning 1911-22?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
Not an answer but a question, how much did that Browning 1911-22 set you back? I saw one and thought about buying it for my son but at the price I could see myself buying a 22 when I could get a decent .45, 9mm, .40 cal for the same price.
Hey, GunRunner, sorry for the delay in replying.

I don't recall the exact amount, but it was somewhere in the US$500's, roughly the same as it is now at most gunshops and on-line.

Yes, it's pricey, but not overly so. I happen to a bit of a Browning admirer, was raised in a household of hunters and fishermen so I had plenty of experience with A5's etc., used a Hi-Power in my 11th-grade high school science project, learned how to shoot a .22 rifle with a T-bolt, and have been impressed by JMB's understated firearms and entrepreneurial brilliance, so that's a factor.

But more importantly, I continue to rail against folks who seem to think the best way to introduce a newbie to handguns is by putting a Hi-Power or a .357 magnum or larger in their hands and stepping far, far away, and then laughing at their resulting misery. The advent of on-line social media services like YouTube have taken this to a new level of poor judgement. I've been working on slowly introducing folks -- including flaming liberals like my daughter ;-) -- into the excitement that comes with confidence using firearms with a goal of reducing misunderstanding about gun owners and gun ownership (and concealed carry, open carry, and so on). You don't win that crowd over with a big gun. If anything, you start them out on paintball against plain ol' paper circle targets (notice I didn't say "bull's eye" there because it would upset some folks!).

This new Browning 1911-22 is _ideal_ for that. More than that, it's a sweet little handgun for some fun plinkin' without the weight of a Ruger .22 target pistol or a Browning Buck Mark .22 (I have one of those, too, for "The Grrlz" (I have two daughters)). The downsized frame (85% of the original) means it is much easier for smaller hands to hold, confidently, and the low recoil eases any fears about holding a series of explosives in one's hands. And it's a 1911! So it looks like the cool gun we've seen in so many movies and heard about in so many books and war stories.

For me, it's a no-brainer, I'm really happy I bought it and would do it again if I had a need. I also bought a couple of Taurus .22 LR nine-shot revolvers -- blued, with four-inch barrels -- for the same reason, the smaller frame caliber makes it "approachable" and easy to hold confidently, leading to a greater likelihood of satisfaction and success. Additionally, they'll learn how to care for the guns (did I mention they're blued?) and they can master both single-action and double-action firing. And -- ahem -- yes, the cost of the two Taurus revolvers together was only slightly more than the single Browning 1911-22, but I think I already explained my reasoning above.

Yes, there are other pistols you could buy -- many others, in fact -- and I encourage you to choose carefully (and also consider you can sell them again when your son has "graduated" to a larger caliber, I apologize but I don't know his age), but the Browning 1911-22 has a certain cachet to it, in addition to the advantages I already mentioned. I'm pretty happy with it.

By the way, as a result of my unofficial "orientation campaign", my somewhat liberal older daughter -- who once admitted she had decided she "needed to get her Republican on and learn to shoot a gun" -- has already started quizzing me about getting a concealed carry license. But she's also put her foot down (both feet, actually) and stated, unequivocally, that she needs to practice a lot more first before she takes the CCH class here in North Carolina, because she "never wants to be one of those people who buys a gun, puts bullets in it, stuffs it in a sock drawer or nightstand and never learns how to use or practice with it regularly." ;-)

Pretty cool, huh? I think I'm succeeding.

Hope this helps answer your question.