Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Any Thoughts On Suppressor Length In Relation To Barrel Length & Accuracy? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/any-thoughts-suppressor-length-relation-barrel-length-accuracy-74475/)

ryevick 10-16-2012 11:48 PM

Any Thoughts On Suppressor Length In Relation To Barrel Length & Accuracy?

I am debating between 3 threaded barrel pistol listed below. I want to use this 1911 purchase for HD and am thinking the suppressor will always be attached. If I wasn't getting a suppressor I would definitely want a 5" barrel but I'm not sure how to approach this.

Also how do you know if the pistol sights will work with a given suppressor? Round suppressors vs "squared" suppressors?

Thanks for your help! :)

5" Sig Sauer 191145TACOPS
5" Sig Sauer 1911R45SCPNT
4.2" Sig Sauer 1911CAR45SCP

Some suppressors I've found, any recommendations?

Various Suppressors
6.4" AAC TI-RANT 45S "SHORT"
8" SILENCERCO OSPREY
Cobra M2
Bower ATAS-45
AAC EVOLUTION

tacticalfun 10-17-2012 10:14 PM

5" Scorpion and ospry. Also...check it. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=296728256 made for it. Raised sights. Threaded barrel...plus its a nhc.

Dillinger 10-17-2012 11:08 PM

Bookmarked for later so I can properly address questions and maybe a couple of photos.

ryevick 10-18-2012 01:52 AM

i bought the tacops 5" (actually 5.5") haven't got the can for it yet but may need raised sights if diameter of can is not small enough but i want raised night sights and i can't find anyone who makes them.

Dillinger 10-18-2012 09:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay, so I got some time to properly address some of these questions.

This is my Nighthawk AAC in .45 ACP. If the name sounds familiar, it should, it was developed in conjunction with Advanced Armanment Corp and their recommended suppressor to use on this weapon is their Ti-Rant model.

I went to SHOT a couple of years ago and I talked to AAC and I talked to Osprey because they had recently released their version of a product that AAC had tried to develop and failed to market known as the "Black Box" project.

You can Google AAC Black Box as there were some prototypes out there.

After a lot of conversation, I ended up going with the Osprey for all the reasons I wanted the AAC Black Box Product in the first place.

Over an additional 30% of the suppressor baffle volume is located below the barrel axis. This helps keep the barrel down on recoil and adds more volume for dampening WITHOUT the need for tall sights.

As you can see in the second shot I have laid out the pistol with a framing square across the top of the sights that AAC recommeneded be put on the pistol. There is about 1/8" or more of a gap between them and the top of the Osprey. As such, I can get medium height sights and still be able to use both the weapon and the combination without trouble.

And it will fit in my holster better with lower sights too. :o

Here are a couple of other views, just for perspective and because I love torturing Canebrake with this pistol. :D

tacticalfun 10-18-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger

This is my Nighthawk AAC in .45 ACP. If the name sounds familiar, it should, it was developed in conjunction with Advanced Armanment Corp and their recommended suppressor to use on this weapon is their Ti-Rant model.

I went to SHOT a couple of years ago and I talked to AAC and I talked to Osprey because they had recently released their version of a product that AAC had tried to develop and failed to market known as the "Black Box" project.

After a lot of conversation, I ended up going with the Osprey for all the reasons I wanted the AAC Black Box Product in the first place.

Over an additional 30% of the suppressor baffle volume is located below the barrel axis. This helps keep the barrel down on recoil and adds more volume for dampening WITHOUT the need for tall sights.

As you can see in the second shot I have laid out the pistol with a framing square across the top of the sights that AAC recommeneded be put on the pistol. There is about 1/8" or more of a gap between them and the top of the Osprey. As such, I can get medium height sights and still be able to use both the weapon and the combination without trouble.

Here are a couple of other views, just for perspective and because I love torturing Canebrake with this pistol. :D

*drools on phone*

ryevick 10-18-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 981732)

that's cool, from what i'm reading the osprey 45 is the one everyone seems to like, i haven't really checked out the differences in the suppressors yet but being able to use it without having to change the factory night sights is a huge plus and i've heard you can shoot it wet or dry... i haven't looked into what that even means or how it's relevant yet but again people seem to like that... so now i need to find all suppressors that can do both of these things and compare them i guess... i assume you can easily take apart the osprey yourself for maintenance?

Dillinger 10-18-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryevick (Post 981816)
that's cool, from what i'm reading the osprey 45 is the one everyone seems to like, i haven't really checked out the differences in the suppressors yet but being able to use it without having to change the factory night sights is a huge plus and i've heard you can shoot it wet or dry... i haven't looked into what that even means or how it's relevant yet but again people seem to like that... so now i need to find all suppressors that can do both of these things and compare them i guess... i assume you can easily take apart the osprey yourself for maintenance?

I'm on the train on my phone, but I will try to answer what I can now an fill in the blanks later tonight or tomorrow.

Wet/Dry means literally you can shoot it with the baffles dry, or you can get them wet and the suppressor will dampen more sound. Back in the day motor oil or transmission fluid was used because its thick and doesn't run real bad. Believe it or not some genius got the idea to try petroleum jelly and it works really well at staying in place and dampening sound. It is however a complete disaster to clean afterwards unless you have an ultrasonic cleaning tank.

Disassembly is very easy. No problem with take down and the kit comes with a nylon holster for your belt and a take down tool.

The real cool part about the Osprey, other than its design, is the way they stamped the pieces for FFL transfer.

The only piece that is stamped, and thus needs an FFL to transfer, is the proprietary coupler that threads onto the gun.

Why is this important?

If you ever have to send it back for repairs, mods or advancements, you just pull the coupler and you can put the entire rest of the unit in normal mail. That, in a word, is brilliant.

Something happens to your tube, drop it, takes a round, you trip and catch a curb while its holstered, you just uncouple and send it back. No FFL, no mess, just normal mail.

Most of all the other cans I have seen stamp the can itself, so if anything happens, you have to pay for FFL transfer both ways. Hassle.

I love the Osprey design and it works great. There is video of a member here, Sno Man, on YouTube with him shooting it on rapid fire with his FNP that is worth checking out.

Hope that helps.

JD

dog2000tj 10-19-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 981732)

Meh, where's the bayonet? :p

secretly envy's JD's NIghthawk and working on a plan to steal it from his safe ..... once I figure a way out of my safe ..... and back to life :o

ryevick 10-19-2012 01:19 AM

BTW, this is the grip I'm thinking about getting for it (Hogue #45000)...

http://www.hoguestore.com/images/products/45000L.jpg

http://www.hoguestore.com/bmz_cache/...ge.487x650.jpg

http://www.hoguestore.com/images/products/45000L_02.jpg