Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Any Smith & Wesson 1911 User Out There?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 7

Default Any Smith & Wesson 1911 User Out There?

Hey everyone! I want to purchase a 1911 .45 ACP (my first 1911) to use for carry purposes. I have not shot any 1911's honestly and need opinions. I searched a few pages here but didn't get what I was looking for.

I live in Massachusetts and we are VERY LIMITED on choices! Many 1911's I would like to consider are on an approved rosters list BUT NOT ON THE ATTORNEY GENREAL'S LIST. You can't find the AG's list so it makes it even harder!

So, I am down to Sig and Smith and Wesson for new 1911's. I own a few M&P's and love them. I have no experience with Smith & Wesson's 1911 line or SIG's. I have $1200.00 to spend on the gun itself. Mods would come at a later date.

I currently carry a Smith & Wesson M&P 40 (full size) and it is a great gun! Smith & Wesson makes quite a few 1911's but I don't know anyone who owns one. I am looking at the smaller version of the 1911 for concealed carry and I am looking for your opinion if you can help me.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!
Jeff

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, I don't have any experience with a carry model, but I have shot a full sized Smith (adjustable sights, steel frame, had an ambi safety, I think it was called a SW1911) and it was a good shooting weapon. The lock up was good, the trigger was about what you should expert in a "production" piece. It was a good gun. Nothing that I would have sold a kidney over or had to have immediately, but it was good.

I also shot a Sig Nitron when it first came out. Now, caveat: It has an external extractor which a lot of traditionalists hate. I don't have a problem with it, but keep that in mind.

I really liked the Sig. I am a 1911 whore, but this was a really great shooting weapon and it felt great in the hand. The mag wasn't all that well built to be honest. This was a range gun so I don't know if all the Sigs come with it, but I would recommend dumping it for a much better constructed set. Having said that, I had no problems with range ammo and probably put 150 rounds through it.

If the choice were mine, I would recommend a Sig. But you need to shoot both first because this is your FIRST 1911, but it will NOT be your LAST 1911.

Trust me. Once one 1911 gets in the door, they tend to call their friends, rape your bank account and multiply.

Good luck and keep us informed.

JD

JD

Old 08-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 850 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 589

Buy the S&W and don't look back. The best thing you could do is leave the commie state of MA. I live in KY. and you can call us hillbillies all you want but I can buy 10,000 guns a day, own a machine gun, or any gun legal by the federal govt. Still don't see why a person could live in a place like that. Money is not the answer so don't come back with that. I will live free no matter what.
Congrats on being able to buy a gun of some type though.

USMC 74-78

Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1078 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 506

I used to have a S&W 1911.It is a great 1911,but if you can afford it,go with the S&W Performance Center 1911.
It's got all of the extra's that you'll end up wanting already built into the gun.

The only reason I don't have mine anymore is I let my best friend shoot it,and he wouldn't let me have it back.I had to sell it to him.Plus,I have several other 1911's.One of these day's I'll replace it with a Performance Center version.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #5

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If you are between a Sig 1911 and a S&W 1911, I would easily go the Sig. They are one of the most underrated guns on the market. Fit and finish is absolutely fantastic. My FIL has a Nitron Carry and my brother has a Scorpion and I've put a lot of rounds through both. The Nitron Carry being my favorite.

Plus I hate all the lawyer talk sprinted on the S&W 1911s. Takes away from the beauty of the design.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, I don't have any experience with a carry model, but I have shot a full sized Smith (adjustable sights, steel frame, had an ambi safety, I think it was called a SW1911) and it was a good shooting weapon. The lock up was good, the trigger was about what you should expert in a "production" piece. It was a good gun. Nothing that I would have sold a kidney over or had to have immediately, but it was good.

I also shot a Sig Nitron when it first came out. Now, caveat: It has an external extractor which a lot of traditionalists hate. I don't have a problem with it, but keep that in mind.

I really liked the Sig. I am a 1911 whore, but this was a really great shooting weapon and it felt great in the hand. The mag wasn't all that well built to be honest. This was a range gun so I don't know if all the Sigs come with it, but I would recommend dumping it for a much better constructed set. Having said that, I had no problems with range ammo and probably put 150 rounds through it.

If the choice were mine, I would recommend a Sig. But you need to shoot both first because this is your FIRST 1911, but it will NOT be your LAST 1911.

Trust me. Once one 1911 gets in the door, they tend to call their friends, rape your bank account and multiply.

Good luck and keep us informed.

JD

JD
Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who personally owns either so I will have to take a chance on one or the other. The other issue I am going to have in this state is the trigger. My M&P from S&W came with a 11 +/- pound trigger which I replaced with an Apex. Another state mandated rule is all DAO guns have to have. Not sure what the state mandate for a SAO is. I will advise once I get to that point.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I own a E series S&W and a Sig STX.Both fine pistols,the Sig was a bit more expensive,and maybe finished a little nicer.I'd recommend either one.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Buy the S&W and don't look back. The best thing you could do is leave the commie state of MA. I live in KY. and you can call us hillbillies all you want but I can buy 10,000 guns a day, own a machine gun, or any gun legal by the federal govt. Still don't see why a person could live in a place like that. Money is not the answer so don't come back with that. I will live free no matter what.
Congrats on being able to buy a gun of some type though.
I would not call you a hillbilly at all. I live in this state b/c I DON'T have the money to move out. Not to mention my wife does not have much longer to retire as a school teacher.

As a resident of MASS I am hoping, no praying that in 2014 we vote out the AG. She is the majority of the problem. Having an approved roster list (which is BS to begin with) with the guns I would own is one thing. It's another that her own commissioned safety panel says something is OK to own, but she has her hidden list that says it's not.

I can't purchase a Glock b/c she says it is not a safe weapon. Yet more than half of the P.D.'s carry them... Hmmm...

Sorry for going off topic but thanks for your input...

JEFF

Old 08-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I used to have a S&W 1911.It is a great 1911,but if you can afford it,go with the S&W Performance Center 1911.
It's got all of the extra's that you'll end up wanting already built into the gun.

The only reason I don't have mine anymore is I let my best friend shoot it,and he wouldn't let me have it back.I had to sell it to him.Plus,I have several other 1911's.One of these day's I'll replace it with a Performance Center version.
I did see the performance Center on their web site. Seems to be where I was looking from the start. There is a local gun shop here that sells S&W at very competitive prices. I'm not sure about a SIG though. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed your S&W as much as you did (or still are).

Did you own a full size variant or a compact carry version? I ask b/c I want to know if a compact carry version differs in performance. Sometimes trying to cut the size of a gun down can have bad results. Just curious if you don't mind answering...

JEFF

Old 08-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
If you are between a Sig 1911 and a S&W 1911, I would easily go the Sig. They are one of the most underrated guns on the market. Fit and finish is absolutely fantastic. My FIL has a Nitron Carry and my brother has a Scorpion and I've put a lot of rounds through both. The Nitron Carry being my favorite.

Plus I hate all the lawyer talk sprinted on the S&W 1911s. Takes away from the beauty of the design.
Thanks for the reply. I was on SIG's web site just now and a lot of those guns are not approved for sale here in MA. I think I am going to have to research that a bit more at a gun shop where they would no more. I have a P250 in .45 and it's a great piece, especially for the price.

I don't know anything about lawyer talk on the S&W 1911's. Sorry but could you elaborate for me?

JEFF