Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Any Smith & Wesson 1911 User Out There? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/any-smith-wesson-1911-user-out-there-70131/)

JeffG 08-12-2012 01:15 AM

Any Smith & Wesson 1911 User Out There?

Hey everyone! I want to purchase a 1911 .45 ACP (my first 1911) to use for carry purposes. I have not shot any 1911's honestly and need opinions. I searched a few pages here but didn't get what I was looking for.

I live in Massachusetts and we are VERY LIMITED on choices! Many 1911's I would like to consider are on an approved rosters list BUT NOT ON THE ATTORNEY GENREAL'S LIST. You can't find the AG's list so it makes it even harder!

So, I am down to Sig and Smith and Wesson for new 1911's. I own a few M&P's and love them. I have no experience with Smith & Wesson's 1911 line or SIG's. I have $1200.00 to spend on the gun itself. Mods would come at a later date.

I currently carry a Smith & Wesson M&P 40 (full size) and it is a great gun! Smith & Wesson makes quite a few 1911's but I don't know anyone who owns one. I am looking at the smaller version of the 1911 for concealed carry and I am looking for your opinion if you can help me.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!
Jeff

Dillinger 08-12-2012 01:55 AM

Well, I don't have any experience with a carry model, but I have shot a full sized Smith (adjustable sights, steel frame, had an ambi safety, I think it was called a SW1911) and it was a good shooting weapon. The lock up was good, the trigger was about what you should expert in a "production" piece. It was a good gun. Nothing that I would have sold a kidney over or had to have immediately, but it was good.

I also shot a Sig Nitron when it first came out. Now, caveat: It has an external extractor which a lot of traditionalists hate. I don't have a problem with it, but keep that in mind. ;)

I really liked the Sig. I am a 1911 whore, but this was a really great shooting weapon and it felt great in the hand. The mag wasn't all that well built to be honest. This was a range gun so I don't know if all the Sigs come with it, but I would recommend dumping it for a much better constructed set. Having said that, I had no problems with range ammo and probably put 150 rounds through it.

If the choice were mine, I would recommend a Sig. But you need to shoot both first because this is your FIRST 1911, but it will NOT be your LAST 1911. :cool:

Trust me. Once one 1911 gets in the door, they tend to call their friends, rape your bank account and multiply. :D

Good luck and keep us informed.

JD

JD

limbkiller 08-12-2012 02:07 AM

Buy the S&W and don't look back. The best thing you could do is leave the commie state of MA. I live in KY. and you can call us hillbillies all you want but I can buy 10,000 guns a day, own a machine gun, or any gun legal by the federal govt. Still don't see why a person could live in a place like that. Money is not the answer so don't come back with that. I will live free no matter what.
Congrats on being able to buy a gun of some type though.

Txhillbilly 08-12-2012 02:35 AM

I used to have a S&W 1911.It is a great 1911,but if you can afford it,go with the S&W Performance Center 1911.
It's got all of the extra's that you'll end up wanting already built into the gun.

The only reason I don't have mine anymore is I let my best friend shoot it,and he wouldn't let me have it back.I had to sell it to him.Plus,I have several other 1911's.One of these day's I'll replace it with a Performance Center version.

Olympus 08-12-2012 02:45 AM

If you are between a Sig 1911 and a S&W 1911, I would easily go the Sig. They are one of the most underrated guns on the market. Fit and finish is absolutely fantastic. My FIL has a Nitron Carry and my brother has a Scorpion and I've put a lot of rounds through both. The Nitron Carry being my favorite.

Plus I hate all the lawyer talk sprinted on the S&W 1911s. Takes away from the beauty of the design.

JeffG 08-12-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 900898)
Well, I don't have any experience with a carry model, but I have shot a full sized Smith (adjustable sights, steel frame, had an ambi safety, I think it was called a SW1911) and it was a good shooting weapon. The lock up was good, the trigger was about what you should expert in a "production" piece. It was a good gun. Nothing that I would have sold a kidney over or had to have immediately, but it was good.

I also shot a Sig Nitron when it first came out. Now, caveat: It has an external extractor which a lot of traditionalists hate. I don't have a problem with it, but keep that in mind. ;)

I really liked the Sig. I am a 1911 whore, but this was a really great shooting weapon and it felt great in the hand. The mag wasn't all that well built to be honest. This was a range gun so I don't know if all the Sigs come with it, but I would recommend dumping it for a much better constructed set. Having said that, I had no problems with range ammo and probably put 150 rounds through it.

If the choice were mine, I would recommend a Sig. But you need to shoot both first because this is your FIRST 1911, but it will NOT be your LAST 1911. :cool:

Trust me. Once one 1911 gets in the door, they tend to call their friends, rape your bank account and multiply. :D

Good luck and keep us informed.

JD

JD

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who personally owns either so I will have to take a chance on one or the other. The other issue I am going to have in this state is the trigger. My M&P from S&W came with a 11 +/- pound trigger which I replaced with an Apex. Another state mandated rule is all DAO guns have to have. :( Not sure what the state mandate for a SAO is. I will advise once I get to that point.

Transman 08-12-2012 03:00 AM

I own a E series S&W and a Sig STX.Both fine pistols,the Sig was a bit more expensive,and maybe finished a little nicer.I'd recommend either one.

JeffG 08-12-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limbkiller (Post 900910)
Buy the S&W and don't look back. The best thing you could do is leave the commie state of MA. I live in KY. and you can call us hillbillies all you want but I can buy 10,000 guns a day, own a machine gun, or any gun legal by the federal govt. Still don't see why a person could live in a place like that. Money is not the answer so don't come back with that. I will live free no matter what.
Congrats on being able to buy a gun of some type though.

I would not call you a hillbilly at all. I live in this state b/c I DON'T have the money to move out. Not to mention my wife does not have much longer to retire as a school teacher.

As a resident of MASS I am hoping, no praying that in 2014 we vote out the AG. She is the majority of the problem. Having an approved roster list (which is BS to begin with) with the guns I would own is one thing. It's another that her own commissioned safety panel says something is OK to own, but she has her hidden list that says it's not.

I can't purchase a Glock b/c she says it is not a safe weapon. Yet more than half of the P.D.'s carry them... Hmmm...

Sorry for going off topic but thanks for your input...

JEFF

JeffG 08-12-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 900923)
I used to have a S&W 1911.It is a great 1911,but if you can afford it,go with the S&W Performance Center 1911.
It's got all of the extra's that you'll end up wanting already built into the gun.

The only reason I don't have mine anymore is I let my best friend shoot it,and he wouldn't let me have it back.I had to sell it to him.Plus,I have several other 1911's.One of these day's I'll replace it with a Performance Center version.

I did see the performance Center on their web site. Seems to be where I was looking from the start. There is a local gun shop here that sells S&W at very competitive prices. I'm not sure about a SIG though. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed your S&W as much as you did (or still are).

Did you own a full size variant or a compact carry version? I ask b/c I want to know if a compact carry version differs in performance. Sometimes trying to cut the size of a gun down can have bad results. Just curious if you don't mind answering...

JEFF

JeffG 08-12-2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 900932)
If you are between a Sig 1911 and a S&W 1911, I would easily go the Sig. They are one of the most underrated guns on the market. Fit and finish is absolutely fantastic. My FIL has a Nitron Carry and my brother has a Scorpion and I've put a lot of rounds through both. The Nitron Carry being my favorite.

Plus I hate all the lawyer talk sprinted on the S&W 1911s. Takes away from the beauty of the design.

Thanks for the reply. I was on SIG's web site just now and a lot of those guns are not approved for sale here in MA. I think I am going to have to research that a bit more at a gun shop where they would no more. I have a P250 in .45 and it's a great piece, especially for the price.

I don't know anything about lawyer talk on the S&W 1911's. Sorry but could you elaborate for me?

JEFF