Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Ammo Recall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo Recall

What's the deal on Federal's recall? Is the ammo in question over charged or under charged? I have 3 boxes of the Champion stuff that does not have a lot number on them. If they're too hot for a 1911 I'll run them through my Blackhawk with the acp cylinder. Calling Federals hot line was a wash, I couldn't get through.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2151 Times on 1071 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Trex

The first thing to do is call Federal! It should have a lot number on it and as you stated it does not. So that is another issue with them. I would say they will probably replace them. Depending on how long you have had them and when the powder problem occurred will determine if there is a possibility you have the potential of having the defective "dangerous" rounds. The call back is due to the wrong powder being in the rounds. I would "NOT SHOOT" them until you find out more from Federal. It is not worth trashing either your good firearms. It doesn't matter if it is you 1911 or your Blackhawk. I have seen them as well as S&W N Frames blown up with wrong powder loads. If you need any more help let me know. One of my good friends is with ATK who owns Federal and he is in the LE Ammunition Division.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #3

Default Thanks Sniper 03

I'll try the Federal number again Monday. I bought these 3 boxes 2 weeks ago at Walmart. The 6 other boxes I have all have a lot number on the top left hand corner on the back of the box. The 3 in question have nothing on the back, they do have small numbers stamped on the inside of the flaps on both ends.One box on the left side is 24038-00 with DD1361 under it, and the right flap has L28R25 on it. The 2 other boxes have L29R21 on the right inside flap and different numbers on the left. The three boxes in question also have the small primers in them. The 6 with the lot numbers on the back have large primers. Makes me wonder about the differnt primers also.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have 1 box from Wal-Mart with not lot # either. I finally just called and left a message for them to call me back - I noticed on another forum that someone claimed that ALL the 45 cal Federal was taken off the shelf at their wal-mart... So, I finally decided to call...

Most of my stored 45 is WWb or Blazer Brass. I only had the 1 box of Federal I haven't shot yet

Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #5

Default Got a call

I got a call from Federal today. Some of you may have the same issue with the lot numbers not being on the back of the box, like three of the boxes I have. The nice lady that called asked me what kind of primers were on the rounds. I told her that they were small pistol primers, then she asked if they were gold or silver. I told her they were gold, she said those were fine to shoot. Also the lot numbers are very small and inside the flap (right side) of the box. I hope this helps someone. Please make an effort to call Federal to make sure though.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex58 View Post
I got a call from Federal today. Some of you may have the same issue with the lot numbers not being on the back of the box, like three of the boxes I have. The nice lady that called asked me what kind of primers were on the rounds. I told her that they were small pistol primers, then she asked if they were gold or silver. I told her they were gold, she said those were fine to shoot. Also the lot numbers are very small and inside the flap (right side) of the box. I hope this helps someone. Please make an effort to call Federal to make sure though.
Thanks, i have an unnumbered box as well, but it has regular-sized primers when compared to other .45ACP rounds. I will check out the flaps for a lot #.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.