american made? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > american made?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
My Springfield Loaded was made in Geneseo IL. USA.
Yes that's where it was assembled; however, all frames & slides are forged by IMBEL in Brazil. This bothers some folks - but not me in the slightest. I have 4 Springer 1911s...

Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #22

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

to parinoid- I absolutely have nothing at all against smith and wesson, in fact I've been looking at the exact same 1911 you mentioned. If you read my posts, you would see that I mentioned a couple times that I'm a revolver man, and we all know who one of the biggest makers of revolvers is. Mine is a model 65-2 5" bbl .357 magnum, I'm working on a set of custom grips for it, hand carving them myself out of distressed southern red oak. when I'm done I'm hoping they will be like the jerry miculek's. Yes I know the 65-2 has had problems, but mine has treated me very well, only thing thats malfunctioned is the spring tensioner worked loose, so I tightened it down and added a little loctite, it's a damn beautiful gun.

as far as how much I would spend to trust my life with... I trust my life daily with my 300 dollar smith.. only had to use it once, on a rabid raccoon while taking out the garbage. I would love to have a multi k gun, dan wesson or les baer (can't remember which) makes the legacy centennial edition for like 6500. I would happily trade a leftward reproductive organ for it, but I don't think they would like that.

as far as what I need, something that runs like a clock. and as far as accuracy, if I can rate expert 3 times in a row with a beretta m9, using the crappy ammo handed out like candy by my beloved USMC, like someone else said I really don't think a half inch group on a bad guy's chest will matter. (or even be possible on a moving/falling/screaming/arm-waving/give me yo money or I'll gut you kind of target) Have you ever tried to shoot a rabid coon in the dark? I know I can hit what I'm aiming at, as I got the animal with one shot at about 6 yards or so (of course .357 mag vs coon is a bit overkill, but better than a pointy stick)

all this being said, I really appreciate everyones help, it's more than I was hoping for. Cane, I want to see your colts, assuming you have more than one, Iv'e seen the beauty with the stag grips. And whoever mentioned the new remington, (Jay) thank you, I've completely forgotten about it, and I didn't know it was that cheap. And as far as the feel of one, what I know for sure is that any 1911 I get will have to have the arched mainspring housing or I would have to swap it out with one, as that just feels infinitely better in my hand.

Thank you to every one, but keep the comments coming, as I'm not quite ready to buy yet. Tax return is just around the corner. yippee!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5812 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Yes that's where it was assembled; however, all frames & slides are forged by IMBEL in Brazil. This bothers some folks - but not me in the slightest. I have 4 Springer 1911s...
imbrel brazil has some of the highest quality frames and slides thats one reason springfield uses em. i remember back in the 80's custom gun makers seeking those frames to build ipsec guns. nothing changed since then. they are head and shoulders above dan wesson(now cz) 1911's and also better than s&w 1911 frames.

my springfield/imbrel 1911-A1 prolly has close to 20,000 rounds downrange in the last decade. i dont remember when it ever had a problem other than the rear site falling off after i dropped it on a concrete floor. nothing wrong with foriegn 1911's if they are quality metals made to mil-spec.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5812 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Cane, I want to see your colts, assuming you have more than one, Iv'e seen the beauty with the stag grips.
Canes are prettier mine are just plaine jane workhorses

new agent

series 70

my springfield. the original grips were black plastic. i ordered a set of those newer logo grips they sent the wrong ones. the shop owner traded me the ones off a range gun for the wrong grips.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-01-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #25

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Our esteemed mod, JD, carries a Nighthawk (and has 3 I think). I have a friend that carries an Ed Brown and another that carries a Les Baer - every day. Just because you won't invest in one doesn't mean they are all owned by mall ninjas and gun store commandos. The lesson here is to be careful about making blanket statements as you will get called out. Maybe JD will be along shortly to share some of his "ego"...
Damn man, whatever I did to you lately to stir your honey pot I apologize.

Yes, I have several Nighthawks. They are now the only 1911 I own. My first ever 1911 was a Kimber Custom II that was moved down the line recently to a fellow member here that hasn't had any trouble.

I buy Nighthawks, on a payment plan with no interest through George with Michigan Gunslingers, because I have met three of the "owners" from Nighthawk and I know these guys have a passion for the platform. They left other companies like Colt and Smith and Kimber and Springfield and went out on their own ( 11 co-owners total ) to produce high end, hand fitted, made in the USA 1911's. They are expensive, but their customer service is excellent and their product is the best I have tested.

As for 1911's under $1,000.00 and "Made in the USA" there are a lot of caveats.

A lot of makers are now using MIM parts out of BUL from Israel. This keeps prices down, but they are parts that are not made in the USA and I personally don't care for MIM parts. There is NOTHING wrong with them, but they are in there on almost every "budget" 1911 on the market. BUL makes a killing in this market and are one of, if not THE, MIM parts master at the moment.

In addition the US of A has a hefty import tax on full firearms. That is why you see companies like GLOCK and others establish US based "assembly" houses. Those assembly houses take parts made in other countries and assemble them to spec with US LABOR. Are their jobs any less important? Personally I would say not. Everyone needs to put food on the table.

While I can appreciate the 100% made in the USA stamp, you will find very few items that are 100% made here, unless you are willing to pony up and spend the money.

Example: Every production vehicle out there. However if you went to Foose and dropped off a check for $250K, you would have a hotrod that was built here in the USA.

Same thing in the gun world.

JD

Old 02-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #26

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

in response to Dillinger, I guess I shall have to lay down specifications, as he is right on the products. By American made, my requirements are- #1 American owned and operated company, #2 American MADE and ASSEMBLED Frame, slide, and all other major components. I know that there will most likely be some very small foreign MIM parts, it happens, and you laid out the reasons why accurately. I'm sure a lot of these can be replaced with US made, I can look in my midway catalog and see, but if it don't break, don't fix it. On the same note, I don't know for sure, but I imagine my smith has a couple foreign made parts. It happens with cheap overseas labor

By the way, I'd like to mention a small custom shop out of Covington Tennesee called DGC Customs. Really cool guys, met them at a gunshow down in Batesville MS. check them out, they're site aint too great as they're still fairly new, but you can find some of their guns on gunsamerica.com

Old 02-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #27

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
tCane, I want to see your colts, assuming you have more than one, Iv'e seen the beauty with the stag grips. And whoever mentioned the new remington, (Jay) thank you, I've completely forgotten about it, and I didn't know it was that cheap. And as far as the feel of one, what I know for sure is that any 1911 I get will have to have the arched mainspring housing or I would have to swap it out with one, as that just feels infinitely better in my hand.
My Colt XSE Government:

The same XSE dressed up as Fenrir 460 Rowland:

My Colt Defender Canebrake:

Dad's "almost a Colt", Ithaca M1911A1:

And my "not a Colt", Remington 1911-R1:
rr1.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #28

OUCH! Okay, I admit - I had had too much kool aid that night. It was never my intent to cast a shadow over anyone or their choices. For that possibility, I promise to take an Ex-Lax before posting again to help clear my mind.

Although poorly worded, my "ego" statement was about the cars I wrote of, not someone's choice of their firearms. I am jealous of those of you fortunate enough to own the higher end 1911's.

I mean't no insults.

Last edited by parinoid54; 02-02-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Damn man, whatever I did to you lately to stir your honey pot I apologize.

JD
From the way I took it, none of that was aimed at you. He was just saying that the high-end 1911 serve more of a purpose than swelling peoples ego.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 02-02-2011, 02:52 AM   #30
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1207 Posts
Likes Given: 808

I believe the Springfield 1911's are American made.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA