american made? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

american made?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey dudes! No complaining here. But the OP did say under $1k (assuming new). I would love to be able to afford a Wilson, Ed Brown, or Les Baer, but I can't. If I could, they would be in my wardrobe, not a S&W or Colt. But are they worth the money for what they provide (mostly safe queens and/or rare range rangers)? A half inch difference in a bad guys chest at 25 yards means nothing in REAL life! I am not talking about sitting around a coffee table at your local gun dealer talking/comparing/bragging about our jewels telling lies and slurpping down some hot brown mud, but what most of us would use in daily carry; scratches and all. I can get to where I need to go in a Ford Focus, or a Lincoln - the difference? Ego, mostly.

Last edited by parinoid54; 02-01-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #12

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post
Hey dudes! No complaining here. But the OP did say under $1k (assuming new). I would love to be able to afford a Wilson, Ed Brown, or Les Baer, but I can't. If I could, they would be in my wardrobe, not a S&W or Colt. But are they worth the money for what they provide (mostly safe queens and/or rare range rangers)? A half inch difference in a bad guys chest at 25 yards means nothing in REAL life! I am not talking about sitting around a coffee table at your local gun dealer talking/comparing/bragging about our jewels telling lies and slurpping down some hot brown mud, but what most of us would use in daily carry; scratches and all. I can get to where I need to go in a Ford Focus, or a Lincoln - the difference? Ego, mostly.
Our esteemed mod, JD, carries a Nighthawk (and has 3 I think). I have a friend that carries an Ed Brown and another that carries a Les Baer - every day. Just because you won't invest in one doesn't mean they are all owned by mall ninjas and gun store commandos. The lesson here is to be careful about making blanket statements as you will get called out. Maybe JD will be along shortly to share some of his "ego"...

Last edited by NGIB; 02-01-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3467 Times on 1987 Posts
Likes Given: 1520

Mark me as a carrier for the Ed Brown. Ed would grimace if he saw all the scratches on mine.

But I do not call it ego. I call it "knowing what I've got". I trust my life with it (and I have other handguns that have never failed). How much is your life worth? To me, I want the best I can get in the handgun, magazines, and holsters (and I am not saying that price alone is a sign of quality).

As stated in my post, there is a difference of quality between the RIA and Ed Brown. I also have a Springer that I purchased new for $350.00 (if that tells you how old it is). With the tweaks over the years, after market accessories, hand work involved, I cannot sell it and get anywhere near what I have in it. But, if needed, I would trust it with my life, too.

Cowboys used to give a month's pay for their sidearm. What can you get today for a month's pay?

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Dan, I always suspected that you were an egomaniacal gun store commando...

Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3467 Times on 1987 Posts
Likes Given: 1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Dan, I always suspected that you were an egomaniacal gun store commando...
But don't tell anyone.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post
Your user name sounds like it's appropriate.

Many times, it's best to simply let folks think you're a fool as opposed to opening yer yap, and removing all doubt.

Jealousy, usually generates posts like yours. Suck it up and deal with it.

To the OP, the Remington R1, is reviewed to be a good solid 1911, and retails for around $600. Several choices out there.

Some of my toys

Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Why do people who don't have what they really want try to insult those who do? I say good for them!

All I have is a super sweet Kimber and I get that from lower end 1911 owners. I like all of them!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #18

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

You should but the best you can afford. A pistol like everything else in this world is only worth what you are willing to pay for it. the uber high end 1911's are mostly all hand fit. That makes a HUGE difference. Sure that might mean .5" at 15 yards. But that same offset taken out to 50 yards not it's going ot make a lot more of a difference. And a hand fit rig should be able to group under 3" at 50yds. Not many out the box Mil Specs gonna do that.

Me..I don't have near the income to justify paying out the money these types of pistols bring. Now if I could afford to take the hit you bet your ass I"d be looking for a Nighthawk, Ed Brown etc. Because you have no idea until you sling a few rounds down range with a hand fit weapon. Mad props to the people that can afford them. I'm fine with what I have. I shoot them very well. But I've also done work to them all to get them shooting better than an out the box pistol. You don't have that to do with a hand fit weapon. There's a reason they are more expensive. Go talk to a gunsmith abouot fitting your slide tothe frame. Hand fitting a barrel. These two jobs alone can really jack up a pistols out of pocket expense.

AS for American made? It really doesn't make a big difference to me.I'm a Springfield fan and I have seen many a detractor change their tune when they shoot mine. I belive Para Ord has a plant in the U.S. now. They are well worth a look. There must be treason you don't see many used. THe two I own are scary accurate. If I was looking at getting another 1911 I would have them on my short list along with Colt and the Springers. STI is well worth looking at too. I just do not like a Kimber. Most I've seen work OK. I've owned a couple but I had issues with one and it just couldn't give me that 110% trust so they went away. They sell a lot of guns though. So they must be keeping some people happy.

It's amazing to me how all the different makers of pretty much the same design and be so different. Even two of equal quality. They all ust feel different. I am always talking about that lovin' feelin'. I'll pick one up and just know it needs to be mine. I think most all o you to an extent know what I'm saying. Just because it's a "good gun" doesn't mean it's a good one for you. So wrap your hands around a few different make 1911's and see what one lets you know this is the one to take home. It's really hard to go wrong with most any the bigger name makers. And they all are pretty easy to modify to suit your needs better. There are several really good all U.S. made weapons but I think you might sell yourself short by excluding something because a frame was made elsewhere.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1192 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

If you're buying a Mosin or SKS or AK that's one thing. But if you're buying a 1911 it darn sure better be made in the USA!

My first choice at the $1K range would be Colt, after all it is the 100th anniversary...

Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My Springfield Loaded was made in Geneseo IL. USA. The Loaded is a great firearm for under $900.00.

I had a customer that was going to order an ED Brown until he shot my Loaded. He has recently ordered a TRP at around $1500.00.

If you get a chance shoot a Springfield as it will sell itself. Mine has sold no less than a dozen to our customers.