Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   american made? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/american-made-37730/)

trip286 02-01-2011 12:54 AM

american made?

I'm thinking of getting a 1911. I've always been a revolver guy but I just really want a 1911. I know the "first 1911" has been covered, but I want to see what y'all have to say about this... I want a full size 1911, options don't matter ie GI or Milspec is perfectly fine with me. Here are the 2 uncompromisable conditions, it must be made and assembled in the good ole US OF A, and needs to be under $1,000. Kimbers usually run over my price requirements with a bulldozer, but I'ma check the site right now just to make sure.

JonM 02-01-2011 12:59 AM

i paid less than 1000$ each for my new colt series 70 and colt new agent. both are made in america and there isnt anything better than a colt 1911. they been making em for 100 years...

oh also, colt is head and shoulders above kimber quality and functionally. kimber is over priced for what they are.

trip286 02-01-2011 01:07 AM

I was kind of leaning toward the colt. My old man has one of the originals locked away in a safe, passed down from my grandfather, but I'll have to wait to get my hands on that one. I did look at kimber again and they do actually have a couple that are affordable, although I don't like the idea of "breaking a gun in" before it's reliable (again I'm a revolver man) of course from where I live it's just a quick trip up the road to DGC Customs, and I can have them build me one.

Any more options anyone?

canebrake 02-01-2011 01:08 AM

Colt, made in A-mur-k!

Colt 1911 Pistols on SALE at Ozark Guns

Ozark Guns Colt 1911 45acp Pistols in stock ready to ship!

Take your pick of sub-$1K guns.

Gojubrian 02-01-2011 01:18 AM

Nothing wrong with the kimbers at all. Buy used like I did and be happy!

No matter what 1911 you buy, if it is new and of any good quality you will need to break in the slide to frame fit.

trip286 02-01-2011 01:23 AM

I'll say this, if I can get one of those fancy watches thrown in I'll probably go to ozark guns for a Colt!!

danf_fl 02-01-2011 01:34 AM

A couple more that are "Made in the U.S.A." is Dan Wesson and Ed Brown.

parinoid54 02-01-2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 434025)
I'm thinking of getting a 1911. I've always been a revolver guy but I just really want a 1911. I know the "first 1911" has been covered, but I want to see what y'all have to say about this... I want a full size 1911, options don't matter ie GI or Milspec is perfectly fine with me. Here are the 2 uncompromisable conditions, it must be made and assembled in the good ole US OF A, and needs to be under $1,000. Kimbers usually run over my price requirements with a bulldozer, but I'ma check the site right now just to make sure.

Okay, how about a pure USA 1911, the Smith & Wesson, and its new Enhanced Series model 108482, with all their NEW goodies, all stainless, 5" bbl, with an MSRP of $919. Actual dealer price will be $50 - $200 less than this. The same gun with Crimson Trace laser, MSRP $1,089, also less at a dealer. Forget overpaying for someone's "name"! If a name like S&W isn't good enough for you, than there is obviously other problems here.

NGIB 02-01-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parinoid54 (Post 434293)
Forget overpaying for someone's "name"! If a name like S&W isn't good enough for you, than there is obviously other problems here.

So the folks that buy a Les Baer, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, or Nighthawk overpaid for a name and got ripped off? Never understood the fascination with buy American myself. I'm going to buy the best quality I can afford regardless of where it's made. If American companies want my business they have to produce a quality product at a fair price...

danf_fl 02-01-2011 08:47 AM

I have purchased Dan Wessons (new, but blemished) for less than $1000, and when one looks at the used area, some "name" can be bought for less than $1000.

There is a difference in things as you go up the price range. I have from RIA through Ed Brown, and there is no comparison. I don't know if Auto Ordnance is made in the US, but they are a quality handgun for the price.

As NGIB stated, go and buy the best quality you can afford. Not all firearms companies in the US are "union".

Americans are selling, shipping, marketing these (foreign and domestic) firearms. Every one of these Americans is employed.