American made 1911 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > American made 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Isn't Springfield made in Brazil or some such nowa days?

Kimber's a girl's name. Buy a colt.
Kimber's a girl name....lasers are for mall ninja's...lol!! You guys make some interesting arguments for a junior high debate team!

How about malfunctions? Overall bad 1911's?

Are there lower end 1911's made in the U.S.? Browning? Etc?? I really don't know?
Are 1911's as particular about ammo as people say?

Old 06-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #22

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I would rather take the $300 extra that your going to spend on Laser Grips and get some ammo to practice with. Just my opinion.
-Fred
Or take the $300 and add it to the $500 cheapie gun and buy a real 1911!

When the SHTF and you have survived the first year with limited resources, what's going to happen when you need to eliminate the first threat after your batteries go dead? You go dead!

OK...so you have a 100 pack of laser batteries. Let's be more realistic, your battery will die because your lazy azz will forget to check each time you pack.

Need a laser sight to hit the BG?

Get a bodyguard!

How's that for a junior high debate?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Or take the $300 and add it to the $500 cheapie gun and buy a real 1911!
LOL, show me how a Kimber is not a "real 1911." It's just your preference, no better or worse than other people's preference. What do you want to bet I can find some colt haters on the web?

Quote:
When the SHTF and you have survived the first year with limited resources, what's going to happen when you need to eliminate the first threat after your batteries go dead? You go dead!
I'm not in to shtf scenarios,conspiracy theories, or other paranoia,sorry. I don't believe in hoarding or other faithless works, I trust in God.

Quote:
OK...so you have a 100 pack of laser batteries. Let's be more realistic, your battery will die because your lazy azz will forget to check each time you pack.
Nope, not in to hoarding,ammo or batteries. If I had that much I'd probably run out as soon as I saw a need around me,oh well...
I do forget to check things like that though,lol.

Quote:
Need a laser sight to hit the BG?

Get a bodyguard!
I'm not popular enough to need a bodyguard. It's not about "need" anyway. It's more about preference and ease of use.

Quote:
How's that for a junior high debate?
Yep, we're right there. Are you going to call me more names now?

Old 06-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #24

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, I see that Moderator Prejudice is alive and well in another weapon suggestion thread.

Look, Colt makes a good gun. It's American Made. It's an ICON. But facts being facts, check out the "FUN" Cane had when he tried to get a "drop in" kit for his Colt. Then take a look at the "headaches" I had with buying the same kit as a drop in for my Kimber.

If Kimber is a girl's name - so what?? They still make a hell of a good gun. And it's American made. They are in NY, and they haven't done enough, in my opinion, to put that State's Archiac Laws about weapons to death, but they do make a good product.

Springfield also makes a great gun. They do import SOME parts for SOME guns from Brazil, but they are from the same CNC plant that Taurus uses to produce their new 1911 Line the PT1911.

Having shot and disassembled this gun, the PT1911 is a quality pistol that is the best bang for the buck on the market. Hands down. But it isn't American made.

If you look hard enough, you will find that several companies, like Rock Island and Para Ord, use MIM parts from a company called BUL out of Israel.

The fact is, a lot of companies cut corners on internal parts they feel won't affect overall performance. I don't agree, but that doesn't mean you can't change those parts out yourself, or with minimal gunsmith work, and build a true ass kicking pistol.

At the end of the day, buy the pistol that YOU want - no matter what anyone else says ( including me ) and then see how it shoots. If you have doubts, post them, and we will all help you tune it into a true SHTF pistol you can bet your life on.

Fact of the matter is, I carried one of two Kimbers that were in my posession for the better part of 4 years and NEVER had a problem.

I upgraded to Nighthawk, and became the scourge of the FTF 1911 forums, at a point in life when I had a bit more money and a NEED to have what I saw as the best possible hand made pistol.

I don't regret the purchase for a moment, but I don't advocate selling your Soul, mortaging your house, or bankrupting the kids tuition fund just to get "the best".

Buy what YOU WANT and then tune it from there if it's needed.

JD

Old 06-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #25

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Well I have nothing to add after JD's post. Well put JD!

He is Right people. If you can only afford a 300 dollar 1911 and need help selecting that price range, Kimber, Nighthawk, Les Baer, and others just is not in reach.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:14 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks JD!! Very informative.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #27

Gojubrian,

Have you found your USA made 1911?

During my quest for a 1911 chambered in 9mm for competition...
I came across a DoubleStar M1911A1. Known for their ARs DoubleStar's
new M1911A1 is chambered in .45ACP. MSRP $1199.00

Quote:
Introducing DoubleStar's 1911- The Combat Pistol. Performance right out of the bag. The DoubleStar Dragon represents accuracy, reliability and American pride. These are the qualities DoubleStar builds into their new, forged frame 1911- The Combat Pistol.
The Dragon's out of the bag, so order The Combat Pistol from DoubleStar today. You'll own a 1911 that delivers match gun performance at a production price.
The reviews portray it as getting high marks for quality and workmanship,
functions well with all types of ammo.
Quote:
The parts were fit together with obvious care and attention to detail. 1911 fans will appreciate the newest offering from DoubleStar.
...just a suggestion, I would think it'll sell under the MSRP,
hopefully within your budget.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Found some good 1911's, but haven't found the money yet.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Found some good 1911's, but haven't found the money yet.
which ones are you looking at?

Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #30

My Colt Commander was well under $1,000 and has proven an outstanding all-around 1911 from a company that...well...it's Colt. What more is there to say?

Just stopping in. Just figured since someone else dredged up the thread I'd at least try to offer a suggestion.

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com