Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > American Classic Commander Modified

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
here are some more pictures of the Commander with some different grips. the grips are made out of spalted persimmon wood and were made by Longballer71 (aka Dave). these look much better and more fitting with the distressed look of the pistol to me.
I really like those grips. I always have liked lighter grips on a darker gun though. Very nice job on the finish. Way to make a one OF a million look like one IN a million.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #72
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20020 Times on 11383 Posts
Likes Given: 50509

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I really like those grips. I always have liked lighter grips on a darker gun though. Very nice job on the finish. Way to make a one OF a million look like one IN a million.
thank you DJ. it was a project i enjoyed very much in doing. i wanted something just a litle different than all the others. i have owned many 1911's over the years, but this was my first Commander sized 1911 and i wanted it to be special!

on a side note, the pistol shoots more accurately than before the modifications. while nothing was changed that would affect the accuracy, i feel that it comes from being able to grip it higher up aided the accuracy.
qwiksdraw Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #73

Grips are extremely important and can change a lot on a 1911. If they are not right then you wont be holding it as right as you can. That's what got me into looking at making some grips to use on my guns. It's odd though some I like the thinner and some not. I really can't figure that out but it is what it is. I do mainly not like them checkered. I can shoot wit hcheckered grips but I like the feel more with a plain smooth finish. And the wood if it's a good wood is that much prettier.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #74

Quote:
Grips are extremely important and can change a lot on a 1911. If they are not right then you wont be holding it as right as you can. That's what got me into looking at making some grips to use on my guns. It's odd though some I like the thinner and some not. I really can't figure that out but it is what it is. I do mainly not like them checkered. I can shoot wit hcheckered grips but I like the feel more with a plain smooth finish. And the wood if it's a good wood is that much prettier.
not only the grips, but i also relieved the frame under the triggergaurd to bring my hand further up and closer to the bore axis. and the grip safety was relieved as well for the same reasons. at some point i do plan on going to the thinner grips to aid in the placement of my hand on the pistol.
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #75

Yeah I brain farted and forgot to mention that.
You did great work on that pistol. I'd say you are right about the old finish not allowing the blue to take as well as you wanted. I like the distressed look personally. I'm not in the maniority either it seems. Look at what a new SRV git-fiddle brings. LOL!, it's like buying a brand new wore out instrument. But iut was Stevie Ray, I'd say that man is lifting rears off seats in heaven as we speak.

Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #76

Quote:
Yeah I brain farted and forgot to mention that.
You did great work on that pistol. I'd say you are right about the old finish not allowing the blue to take as well as you wanted. I like the distressed look personally. I'm not in the maniority either it seems. Look at what a new SRV git-fiddle brings. LOL!, it's like buying a brand new wore out instrument. But iut was Stevie Ray, I'd say that man is lifting rears off seats in heaven as we speak.
no harm, no foul! thanks for the compliments!

at first, i was a little uncertain about the final finish, until my wife saw it, and she said it looked awesome. then after posting pictures of it here on the forum and all the positive comments, it really started to grow on me. at first i thought if i didn't like it, then i could always bead blast it again and do a Duracoat or sometning similiar later on. but i am really liking it now and i think i'll just leave it as is.

side note. i never even really knew who Stevie Ray was till after he had died and was watching a program about him. i cheated myself out of some really good music for a long period of time. SRV was an excellent guitarist and i do enjoy listening to him.
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

side note. i never even really knew who Stevie Ray was till after he had died and was watching a program about him. i cheated myself out of some really good music for a long period of time. SRV was an excellent guitarist and i do enjoy listening to him.
I literally shed a tear when I heard about it at work. I usually never like a cover as well as the original but his Voodoo Child (Slight Return) is the best I have ever heard.

Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This