American Classic Commander Modified
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > American Classic Commander Modified

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default American Classic Commander Modified

several months ago i bought an American Classic Commander. it has the hard chrome finish. well a couple of weekends ago, i sat staring at it and decided to make some minor changes and make it more to my liking. first of all i undercut the frame at the trigger guard, recessed the slide release pin hole on the RH side of the frame, recontoured the grip safety to more closely match the frame, did a slight carry bevel on the frame and slide and MSH. next was a trip to the bead blaster at work. will need another session to remove all the finish completely. here are some pictures of before and where i am at right now. will be blueing after the finish is removed. need to find some grips that will compliment the finish when done. still undecided as to exactly which way to go with there yet.

1911s-001-001.jpg   ac-ii-commander-001-011.jpg   ac-commander-003-002.jpg   ac-commander-003-005.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #2

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Nicely done. I heavily modified my AC Commander also. Much more to my liking now.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Nicely done. I heavily modified my AC Commander also. Much more to my liking now.
thank you Olympus! i'm thinkin it may need some grips from you to make it special!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

A man after my own heart!

Kudos axxe! You have a true vision for a PD carry piece! I can relate to your comfort zone because the Commander model is the "true" carry piece!

Only addition I could offer is to select a slim/thin set of stocks.

You have found the enlightened carry piece! This model will serve you well.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #5

Liked 2401 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 540

How well was that thing shooting before the work? I've thought of getting one since it is about the only "bargain" 1911 out there in a true Commander size. I've wanted an affoardable one to do a bobtail conversion to to make it better for concealment.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
A man after my own heart!

Kudos axxe! You have a true vision for a PD carry piece! I can relate to your comfort zone because the Commander model is the "true" carry piece!

Only addition I could offer is to select a slim/thin set of stocks.

You have found the enlightened carry piece! This model will serve you well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
How well was that thing shooting before the work? I've thought of getting one since it is about the only "bargain" 1911 out there in a true Commander size. I've wanted an affoardable one to do a bobtail conversion to to make it better for concealment.
thank you, but dang Cane, are you reading my mind? have a set of new grip screws and bushings (slim) already for it! just need the slim grips now. haven't decided exactly which ones yet. i am thinking a lighter color to contrast with the darker color of the frame and slide. the thumb safety, slide release and mag release will be SS finish, to add a little more contrast when done.

Doc, it shot very well before teardown and only had to make one minor adjustment to the extractor, courtesy of Cane who told me how to tweek it. most all my changes are more cosmetic than functional. as i am not changing any internal parts as they function quite fine. the AC or even the RIA would be great pistols to do what you are suggesting. honestly, IMO, these pistols are a great platform for doing a budget build on. this AC is my second one and am very pleased with it. the first one was an AC II Government model that i shot the snot out of! loved it. they are great pistols. you need to check them out.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #7

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

thank you, but dang Cane, are you reading my mind? have a set of new grip screws and bushings (slim) already for it! just need the slim grips now. haven't decided exactly which ones yet. i am thinking a lighter color to contrast with the darker color of the frame and slide. the thumb safety, slide release and mag release will be SS finish, to add a little more contrast when done.

Doc, it shot very well before teardown and only had to make one minor adjustment to the extractor, courtesy of Cane who told me how to tweek it. most all my changes are more cosmetic than functional. as i am not changing any internal parts as they function quite fine. the AC or even the RIA would be great pistols to do what you are suggesting. honestly, IMO, these pistols are a great platform for doing a budget build on. this AC is my second one and am very pleased with it. the first one was an AC II Government model that i shot the snot out of! loved it. they are great pistols. you need to check them out.
Could you blast one for me so i can duracoat it? Lmk

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun View Post
Could you blast one for me so i can duracoat it? Lmk
Tactical, personally i would like to, but as that i have no FFL, there is no way i could recieve a pistol from someone.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #9

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Nuthin better than taking a perfectly gud 1911, tearing it all to hell, then putting it back togeather better than before

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #10

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Here's my modified AC Commander. Complete with bobbed frame and slim bushings and grips.