American Classic Commander - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > American Classic Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Awesome. Glad to hear that it works. If the slide stop that you ordered from Eagle doesn't work, I would recommend going with a better quality one from Wilson or Ed Brown. I think the factory slide stops are MIM. It may not matter to you though. Either way, I'm happy that you were able to get your pistol working properly.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #32

I just got back from my second trip to the range with my American Classic II. Again, when using the Chip McCormick mag the slide will not lock back after the last round. It won't lock back about 1/3 of the time with the original ACT mag. A friend I shot with had a couple of Colt mags. The slide locked back consistently when I used them in my gun. He also had a Chip McCormick shooting star mag just like mine. When I put it in my gun the slide would not lock back. I'll see if the replacement slide stop I ordered helps any when I get it. I noticed that the Colt mags seemed to be made of heavier duty metal than the Chip McCormicks. I think I may order a couple of them.

Also, the ACT mag still has the problem of the first round jamming into the bottom of the feed ramp. I'm thinking I also need to replace the mag catch.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #33

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
I just got back from my second trip to the range with my American Classic II. Again, when using the Chip McCormick mag the slide will not lock back after the last round. It won't lock back about 1/3 of the time with the original ACT mag. A friend I shot with had a couple of Colt mags. The slide locked back consistently when I used them in my gun. He also had a Chip McCormick shooting star mag just like mine. When I put it in my gun the slide would not lock back. I'll see if the replacement slide stop I ordered helps any when I get it. I noticed that the Colt mags seemed to be made of heavier duty metal than the Chip McCormicks. I think I may order a couple of them.

Also, the ACT mag still has the problem of the first round jamming into the bottom of the feed ramp. I'm thinking I also need to replace the mag catch.
I think while it's still free, all Metroarms American Classics II should be sent to a waranty center to have that kind of crap fixed. Also, before you buy mags read this...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f100/tripp-s-cobra-magazine-test-37011/
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #34

Eagle Imports needs to know that more and more people are having the same problems with their pistols so they will buckle down on their QC or go under completely. The only way they're going to know they have a serious problem is when they start having to reimburse their contracted warranty centers for all the work. I'd say just send it back to a warranty center and be done with it. If you have problems after the warranty center works on it, contact Eagle Imports directly and request a replacement pistol.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #35

I just got my AC Commander back from my gunsmith friend for some modifications and a high polish reblue. Don't pay attention to the poor lighting. And don't look too close at the bobtailed grips. I did modified a set that I had laying around freehand just to get them on the gun. Took a little too much material way, but you get the idea.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #36

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Looking good there Gripmaker!

I got mine back Friday loaded up my mags and hand cycled 1 round out of each mag than topped off the mags and did it again. I chambered and ejected about 50 rounds like that without a problem. Still haven't made it to the range yet though.

Did you have the back of your grip modified to get that relieved angle on the corner?

EDIT: I just went back and looked at your gun before you modified the grip. What all is involved in doing that?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Last edited by Jesse17; 06-02-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #37

I dry cycled about that many rounds through mine just a few minutes ago and no problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I just freehanded the corners of the grips on a belt sander that was handy. I didn't bother making any marks on the grips to know when to stop and I ended up cutting the corner a little too short. You won't normally see the MSH pin. I was just too excited to get a set of grips on the gun and didn't have any other bobtailed grips handy.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 AM   #38

I took the old AC to range today for a full workout. I only had a few problems. The main one was having the hammer follow the slide back down instead of staying cocked. It only happened about 4 or 5 times out of a couple hundred so I'm not going to worry about it much right now but I will keep an eye on it. The only other thing was the slide failing to lock back after the last round once, but that's minor too.

But other than that, no problems with feeding or ejecting which is a major improvement over the last time I tried to shoot it!

Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 AM   #39

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Well I finally got to the range for the first time since my ACII came back from the warranty center. They said they polished the ramp and throated the barrel. Not sure why they touched the barrel as the cartridge never got close to the barrel before jamming.

Anyhow, I ran about 150 rounds through it with 4 Tripp mags, 1 CMC mag, and 2 ACT mags, always starting out with a +1. I had 3 or 4 rounds nose dive on me but it was always the first round out of the CMC mag.

I know the CMCs are quality mags, but apparently this gun just isn't going to get along with them. If that proves to be the case after a couple more range days, I guess I'll just relegate the CMC to being a 'Barny' mag.

or, I could just get another gun to go with it!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #40

Well another member gave me the bright idea to have the barrel hood on this gun jeweled, so I guess I'm going to go through with it. Never had a pistol with jeweling so we'll see how it goes. It might end up looking gaudy, but at least it can be sanded back out.