Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > American Classic Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I got the gun back from the warranty center and ran a few mags through without any problems. Now the gun just went to my gunsmith for conversion to a bobtail, new trigger group installation, stainless steel small parts added, and a complete high gloss rebluing.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyBob View Post
Is everyone having this same problem with the mags? I was interested in one of these pistols but don't won't those kinds of problems.
After I bought my American Classic II I couldn't get the slide off it. I sent it to Reynersons in Baton Rouge for warranty repair. The work ticket says they adjusted the slide stop for easier insertion, adjusted the recoil spring guide for easier takedown, replaced the magazine (with a Chip McCormick one), and test fired it 16 times with PMC FMJ. They sent back my original ACT mag with the new Chip McCormick one. Now I can get the slide off OK, but rounds (Winchester white box 230 grain FMJ) will not load from either magazine - they jam into the bottom of the feed ramp. It doesn't matter how many rounds I load in the magazines. So off it goes again to Reynersons.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #23

I lubricated the gun and tried feeding ammo again by hand cycling. Now it will cycle seven rounds in each magazine but if I load either magazine with eight rounds the first round will jam. I'll see how it operates when I fire it for the first time at the range.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

How does one go about sending a gun to the warranty center? Do you have to contact the place you bought the gun first, or just look up the warranty center's number on the internet and call them?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
I lubricated the gun and tried feeding ammo again by hand cycling. Now it will cycle seven rounds in each magazine but if I load either magazine with eight rounds the first round will jam. I'll see how it operates when I fire it for the first time at the range.
This is very common problem with these guns. I would recommend going over to the BersaChat forum and PM a member that goes by BersaSales. That is the Eagle Imports rep that deals with these guns. If the gun has already been to Reynerson's once and it doesn't work, I would be contacting Eagle Imports and requesting a replacement pistol.

For what it's worth, don't go over to the BersaChat forum and say too much negative things about the gun or you'll get banned. Trust me on this. I tried posting a thread requesting other members who experienced the feeding problems to post their S/Ns so a range could be determined of the defective guns since Eagle Imports says it was a bad batch. Apparently that's not tolerated there. Unfortunately, I'm seeing more and more people with feeding problems in these guns on other forums as well. I've been keeping a close eye on it. I think the mods at BersaChat have some financial backing from MetroArms or Eagle Imports and they don't want a running tally of how many people are having these issues. Bad for business.

And one goes about sending a gun back to the warranty center by going to the American Classic website and there is a list of authorized warranty centers. They're basically independent shops that have contracted with Eagle Imports to provide the warranty work. Send the gun, along with a letter of what is wrong, and they will do the work and return the gun to you.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911GripMaker View Post
And one goes about sending a gun back to the warranty center by going to the American Classic website and there is a list of authorized warranty centers. They're basically independent shops that have contracted with Eagle Imports to provide the warranty work. Send the gun, along with a letter of what is wrong, and they will do the work and return the gun to you.
Thank you GripMaker.

I'm going to see how it does at a USPSA match this weekend, then probably send it in.

I got my Tripp Cobra mag to feed 6 times when the others wouldn't, then I cleaned the gun and it was nose diving the top round too. I had to keep clearing jams until I got about 4 mags through it, then it ran fine with the Tripp mags. I never could get the other mags to feed the first round or two.

I think maybe the residue from the first 4 rounds was lubing the feed ramp or something...I don't know. I'm going to shoot the USPSA Sat. before I clean it. I figure if it jams during that fine, I'm shooting the USPSA for practice under stress, etc. not for competition. Clearing jams all day will be good practice.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #27

I'm sorry to say that it might be a good pistol for the "stress" factor. Mine isn't one that I would recommend for a self defense or home defense weapon yet.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Well I took the plunge and dropped the ACII in a UPS drop box this afternoon. It's off to the warranty center in Colorado.

Now I've got about a 2 week wait. Hope she finally feeds right when she comes back.

I suppose now the Cross Breed Super Tuck I've been waiting on for 4 weeks will show up now and I'll have to wait another two weeks to try it with the gun.

On the other hand I mentioned buying a new 1911 to try the holster out with (if it shows up while the AC II is gone) and the wifey said, "OK."

Yup, I got a good one.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #29

I hope yours comes back and functions perfectly. Heck, I hope mine does too!

Old 05-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911GripMaker View Post
If the gun has already been to Reynerson's once and it doesn't work, I would be contacting Eagle Imports and requesting a replacement pistol.
I took the gun to the range and it fires beautifully -- very accurate! I found that if I racked the slide back, locked it, and then released the slide stop the first round would load consistently. The only problem I noticed was that the slide would not lock back after the last round when using the Chip McCormick mag. It did lock back with the original ACT mag. I think the gunsmith may have filed off a little too much metal when he worked on the slide stop. I ordered a new slide stop from Eagle Imports for $12.50 -- cheaper than sending the gun back to the warranty center.