American Classic Commander
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > American Classic Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default American Classic Commander

I'm seriously on the verge of pulling the trigger on an American Classic Commander. I've been keeping an eye on the American Classic 1911s for the last couple years. The full sized models have really caught my eye. I'm kind of stocked up on 5" 1911s so I've never spent much time thinking about getting one. But since they have came out with a traditional 4.25" commander size, I've really gotten the itch. One came into my LGS and I'm hooked. The one they have is blued and it blows the competition in the price range out of the water in terms of fit and finish. I'm really having to resist the urge to go out and buy one.

Anyone here have one of the AC commanders?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2748 Times on 1335 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

Gripmaker

I have looked at them and the American Classic Commander looks seems to be of good quality. As well as the features of the build. As far as the 4.25 barrel length I certainly do not have any problems with the shorter barrels on a good quality 1911. I have a Rock River Elite Commando later known as the Pro Carry since Colt did not like them calling them a Elite Commando!!!! WA! WA! Of course they didn't like Bushmaster or other companies using the terminology of M-4 either! *But they lost!
It will shoot a 1 inch group out of the Ransom Rest at 50 yards. Yes I said 50 not 25. That is as good as it gets and from a 4.25" barrel as you mentioned. I also have a Colt Commander LT Wt. that was customized by Chuck Larson of Rock River and it almost shoots as good. It too is a 4.25 Barrel. If you want to see them you can go to my Gallery. Bottom line I think the American Classic would be a good choice.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #3

Man, I sure thought there would be some others here that had some experience with the AC Commander?!?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

How about this one;

FX45 Commander .45acp Pistol

FX45 4.25" bbl .45acp Pistol $399.95

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #5

I've those FX models as well. They seem to be more similar to the RIA models than the American Classics. I had a bust with my Armscor 1911 experience, so I'd be tempted to try the FX. The AC Commander I'm seeing advertised at about $420 and it has a very nicely polished bluing, low profile Novak-style sights, extended slide stop, and an adjustable trigger. For the extra $20, it's worth the little extras for me. I just haven't quite convinced myself to buy one yet.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #6

I finally found one!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks great!

Have you fired it yet? I'm eager to see how it feeds. Does it come with an ACT-Mag? 7 rd or 8?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #8

It came with the 8 round ACT mag. My initial review is that I'm fairly unhappy with it. The quality of the pistol seems to be very nice. Much nicer than the Armscor guns I've had in the past. The finish is extremely nice for the price point.

So I took the gun out to shoot it and started loading the mag. The mag had issues right off the back. After two rounds loaded, the follower would bind up and wouldn't go down. I took the mag apart to clean it out, but there wasn't any need. I inspected the mag for dents and deformations, but didn't find any. So I wanted to try shooting the gun with two rounds loaded in the mag. Still wouldn't work. When the mag was locked into the gun, it would drop the angle of the round. Instead of the round being angled up toward the throat, the round was sitting horizontal and would not chamber at all.

I just got done trying different mags, higher quality mags. The same thing happened. I couldn't get a single round to chamber, whether using the slide release or sling shotting the slide. So it looks like the gun will be going back to the warranty center tomorrow.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know if you've saw the thread on My American Classic II but I had the same problem any time the mag was loaded with 8 rds, the top cartridge (or two) would nose dive into the feed ramp at too low of a spot for it to feed, and after the first two rounds it would still occasionally do the same thing.

Anyway, I picked up a Chip McCormick magazine and had the same problem. CA357 put me onto Tripp Cobra Mags and with a little searching I found that Cane REALLY recommends them and got JD to do a review on them. I ordered one and it ran 6 mags through flawlessly!

I haven't gotten a chance to run any more through it, but I know that it ran the 6 mags without a flaw, during which time I tried the CMC mag 3 more times and it nose dived every time. The ACT mag nose dived about 50%+ of the time.

I saw in my research before buying the gun that this is a problem, and some people have gotten it fixed by using better mags (like I think I did), at least one person fixed it by polishing (re-angeling) the feed ramp), but no one I've seen has gotten it fixed by sending it back for repair. They just send it back with the same problem.

Here's a link to JD and Canes review... Tripp's Cobra magazine Test

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 AM   #10

I tried Chip McCormick, Checkmate, and factory Colt mags. All did the same thing no matter how many rounds were loaded in the mag. I even tried all the different mags with only one round loaded. Still the same.

I'm thinking that it has something to do with the way the mags are locking into the frame and have noted that numerous people are having difficulties with the same thing and the mag release was the culprit. When I load my mags, everything looks good until the mag "clicks" and locks into place. Once it clicks in, it drops the angle of the mag which makes the round sit perfectly horizontal. It won't feed at all. It's just going to have to go back to the warranty center.