Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > American Classic 2?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I had a RIA 1911 until just recently. It never had a FTF or FTE or any other problem. But, as previously mentioned, the heat treatment of the parts is poor. After a mere 500 rounds there were certain parts that were almost worn out. The recoil spring plug, where it rides in the barrel bushing, was worn badly. Even though I used all sorts of things to try to lessen the wear (grease etc) I replaced the plug before I sold it and the new one was much better made and the metal was harder. Oddly enough, it was an el-cheapo ebay item and was better made than the original RIA part.

In hindsight the gun might have done better if I had identified the parts with problems and replaced them but then I might have had enough money in the thing to have purchased smarter in the first place.

Thanks to this forum and especially Cane, I now have a "Hand Fitted"
Springfield 1911A1 loaded match. About $900 after getting good mags.

I paid $350 for the RIA so admittedly it's more than twice as much but the piece of mind gained by not worrying about things breaking is priceless..

Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
While my sister and her boyfriend were shopping for a .22 rifle at our local gun store, I was talking with the other Dealer working at the counter.

I told him I was thinking about getting a .45 ACP and I told him I was leaning more towards a good 1911 but I didn't want to pay too much.

Right away he showed me a 1911 called "American Classic 2"

He explained all the nifty features and specs and then mentioned it was made in the Phillipines.

Hearing "Made in Phillipines" made me shrug, but before I could say anything, he placed the gun in my hand and said "Give it a feel"

It was wonderful, felt great in my hand, but I still wasn't so sure about buying it. I don't like jumping into buying a Gun (especially a 1911) without reading reviews or getting a second opinion from people here on the forums.

So I was just wondering if anyone owned an American Classic 2 or has fired one before?

I tried researching it, but didn't find out much about it, other than I think Bersa makes it (yikes)

any feedback or comments would be great. I decided to get a 1911 as a little Christmas present to myself this year.

This'll be my first 1911.
Wow, You guys are one tough crowd here.
I read through all the replies to the OP request and not one of the replies was from any one that had actually held or owned or shot one of the American Classic ll's (that is made by Metro Arms not Bersa by the way) I love how everyone jumped on the band wagon to say what a piece of crap this pistol is with no actual first hand knowledge of any facts.
The pistol is manufactured by Metro Arms in the Philippines. It is imported to the USA by Eagle Imports out of New Jersey.

http://www.americanclassic1911.com/classic-ii-model.html

The frame is made from 4140 steel. Thats steel not pot metal. The forward and rear serrated slide is made from hammer forged 4140 steel as is the throated barrel. It is available in either a blue or hard chrome finish.It comes standard with low profile Novak type sights(3 dot) dovetailed in slide, extended safety and slide stop, flared ejection port, beaver tail safety, adjustable combat style trigger, skeletonized combat hammer, hardwood checkered grips and an eight round ACT blued magazine in a nice plastic case.(oh yea...and a Lifetime warranter too)
When I picked mine up from my FFL he made the remark that he was very impressed with how well fit and tight the pistol was. He was even more impressed when I told him what I paid for it. The slide is as smooth as a babies bottom and the trigger has an over travel adjustment with a smooth crisp break. The ACT mag runs flawlessly with both ball and hollow-point ammunition. I picked up a couple of CMC Match grade 8 rounders that run just as well. I have had zero jams, zero FTF and zero FTE with both factory loads as well as my own reloads. I am getting 2-3 inch groups at 25 yds from a rest with Winchester white box 230gr FMJ. The pistol is more accurate then I am.
I do have a couple small complaints about the pistol.
1. The back of the barrel bushing had some grit and scratched up the front of the slide when first disassembled.
2. The slide stop also had some grit under it too and scratched the frame underneath it.
(Both of these were easily fixed with a bit of polishing and a touch up with some cold blue)
3. After about 6 months the grip safety started to rattle a bit. I pulled the grip safety and bent the spring a bit to add a little more tension to it.
The only changes I plan to make with the pistol are to have a gold bead added to the front site as my eyes are as good as they used to be.(getting old sucks LOL)
I love this pistol. It is more then I expected. I know that when the time comes my sons will be fighting over who gets it! It resides in a custom holster("Convertible" model) that Carl at CC Holsters made for me. It looks great and shoots great too.(3000+ rounds and still counting)
Yes, you can spend more and Yes there are better 1911's out there. I will put this pistol up against any RIA, Citidel, Springfield GI, Remington 1911R1 and the host of others out there and I am confident the American Classic ll will stand tall and proud!

Last edited by azlester; 02-11-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #43

Where did u guys get ur acii from and how much. Who has the best buy/price.

"Having the burden and responsibility of carrying a firearm is well worth my family and love ones safety. I practice for them, and a well trained and prepared man with his love ones on his mind is the most dangerous man." - JJ

Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #44

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

@azlester
That was well thought out reply.
Facts and figures to back up your clams. But you pizz me off because you beat me to the punch.

MIM does not = a bad part
Mfg. In the Philippines does not = sub-par craftsmanship.

Although at this time I do not have one in the stable, I would not pass it up just because of those two issues.

What this comes down to is opinions very , go with you gut.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #45

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Zombie thread Alert

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 08-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #46

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I don't what you do or did for a career, but their is a LE store in Austin that that has SA GI $498.99 NIB. They sell to LE, active duty military, retired military, and I think they might do security guards and fire departments. You can check out www.gtdist.com , or you go to one of 3 stores in Austin, Dallas, and somewhere in Georgia.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #47
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19523 Times on 11081 Posts
Likes Given: 49157

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr View Post
@azlester
That was well thought out reply.
Facts and figures to back up your clams. But you pizz me off because you beat me to the punch.

MIM does not = a bad part
Mfg. In the Philippines does not = sub-par craftsmanship.

Although at this time I do not have one in the stable, I would not pass it up just because of those two issues.

What this comes down to is opinions very , go with you gut.
i actually bought one about six months ago, slightly used in very good condition. belonged to the gun stores salesman, he traded up to the remington r1 i believe he said. he had shot about 200 rnds thru it, i have shot about 350 thru it so far. no problems yet. only change i have made is a set of custom made wood grips, and extra mags. also have a set of ergo grips that came with it, got if for $425 + tax. so far i am very pleased with it. shoots very nice, and the accuracy is not bad either. IMO, not a gun to be overlooked if looking for a decent 1911 type pistol if on a budget.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #48

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

The guys over at Gun Blast seem to like it.

http://www.gunblast.com/Firestorm-1911Deluxe.htm

I've looked at the one at Academy a lot. You could pick it up and spend what you save on upgraded parts.

Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #49
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19523 Times on 11081 Posts
Likes Given: 49157

Default american classic II

IMO, the american classic II is a fine pistol on its own merits. if you buy one on the cheap and are expecting an ed brown or kimber class pistol, you will probably be diappointed. i have looked at the higher priced 1911s out there, and i like them as well, but right now can't justify spending that large amount of money on one. if money were no object, i would probably buy a new dan wesson 1911. but as a regular working guy and wanting another 1911, i bought the american classic II and afer shooting it, i am very pleased with it.