Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > American Classic 2?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default American Classic 2?

While my sister and her boyfriend were shopping for a .22 rifle at our local gun store, I was talking with the other Dealer working at the counter.

I told him I was thinking about getting a .45 ACP and I told him I was leaning more towards a good 1911 but I didn't want to pay too much.

Right away he showed me a 1911 called "American Classic 2"

He explained all the nifty features and specs and then mentioned it was made in the Phillipines.

Hearing "Made in Phillipines" made me shrug, but before I could say anything, he placed the gun in my hand and said "Give it a feel"

It was wonderful, felt great in my hand, but I still wasn't so sure about buying it. I don't like jumping into buying a Gun (especially a 1911) without reading reviews or getting a second opinion from people here on the forums.

So I was just wondering if anyone owned an American Classic 2 or has fired one before?

I tried researching it, but didn't find out much about it, other than I think Bersa makes it (yikes)

any feedback or comments would be great. I decided to get a 1911 as a little Christmas present to myself this year.

This'll be my first 1911.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

There are (were?) two manufacturer's in the Phil. RIA and SAM. RIA seems to be better than SAM in what parts are used. If you decide to purchase the AC2, The key thing is to keep an eye on parts. Watch for accelerated wear. But for the most part, you should not be disappointed with handgun overall.

I believe Southern Ohio Guns and centerfiresystems also sell them. From what I seen, they are not too bad for the price.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Remington 1911R1 at Gander Mt $649. Just a thought
Doesn't have all the 'bells and whistles' of a custom. I wanted something more along the traditional lines. It does have a match barrel and a 3.5-5 lb trigger pull to name a few. I have one, been to cold out to take it to the range, but have confidence, based on other user reports, it will shoot ok.
The reason I didn't get a mail order is I wanted to see what I was buying. Remington packaging leaves a lot to be desired. (insufficent packing or padding material around the pistol itself).

Last edited by crazycharlie2; 12-13-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycharlie2 View Post
Remington 1911R1 at Gander Mt $649. Just a thought
Remington 1911R1 - Bud's Gun Shop - $580 Delivered

Made in the USA!

I love mine!

There's no better Christmas gift than the gun you buy for yourself! - cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is just my opinion but, the 1911 is a hand gun with 100 years of successful history behind it. However, not every 1911 manufacturer executes the build of the gun using the same processes and commitment to quality parts.
I enjoy all the 1911's I own but four of them were made here in the good ole USA and there not the cheapest models available.
If I had it to do over again I would start my 1911's out with the Remington shown above or maybe a Springfield Armory because they have a favorable reputation and their customer service groups seem to perform acceptably. In addition you can do a lot of customizing to these guns as well as learn how to work on a gun without worrying about ruining something that may have cost $1,500.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your gun what ever you decide to do and I wish you good luck.
Remember, many good values can be had with a used gun.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 12-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2216 Times on 1110 Posts
Likes Given: 1137

I personally would stay away from one!
There have been some 45s made in the Philippines over the past several years.
They are less than high quality. Most have Mimed Parts (Cast) and as a result softer metal causing wear as stated by one of the other guys in this post. Wait! Save your money my friend and invest in a good quality 45 if you want one. Of course Springfield's XD, Glock and others have good 45s for shooting. The are not 1911 style which I also like. I have a Colt Commander Customized and a Rock River Arms Elite (Which is now called the Pro-Carry)
They are top quality pieces and not inexpensive but it is a lifetime investment if I choose to keep them which I do.
If he offered you that 1911 Philippine 45 ACP New for $350-$450? my suggestion would be to run!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

By the way Canebrake sent the picture of that Remington Model 1911 45ACP. That would be a good way to go for the price. And you know it is not junk!
Not a bad price at all for a nice 45 ACP.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
They are less than high quality. Most have Mimed Parts (Cast) and as a result softer metal causing wear as stated by one of the other guys in this post.
MIM is:
The process involves combining fine metal powders with plastic binders which allow the resulting metal powder and plastic mix to be injected as a liquid into a hollow mold using equipment similar to standard plastic injection molding machines. After the part is cured (or cooled) and de-molded, but before the plastic binding matrix is removed, the part is referred to as a 'green part'. The next step is to remove the plastic binders from between the metal particles with the application of solvents, thermal or BASF's catalytic process. The resulting slightly porous (2-4% "air") metal part is sintered at temperatures great enough to bind the surfaces of the particles to one another, but not enough to melt the metal outright. Densities of 96-98% of that of solid, forged parts are common.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JACK

Is correct exactly my error on using the word cast it is a molded part. And this is the number one question that always comes up when people ask about a high quality 45. Does it have any Mim parts.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Remington 1911R1 - Bud's Gun Shop - $580 Delivered

Made in the USA!

I love mine!

There's no better Christmas gift than the gun you buy for yourself! - cane
I was looking at a 1911 R1. Beautiful gun, but it doesn't come with alot extra little features. That may be what I end up with though, we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it helps alot in my decision making. What do you folks think about the Charles Daly 1911?