American Classic 1911s
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

American Classic 1911s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 70 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default American Classic 1911s

I acquired a Commander sized Stainless version and thought I would provide some initial impressions and seek some input from others. The fit is excellent. With the slide racked back and locked back there is only a slight amount of play forward and backward and the normal side play which should be expected. The frame and slide are forged steel not cast. My Colts, Paras, Ruger, Springfields and S&Ws all have much more play. With the slide forward the barrel seats solidly and I can't detect any up and down or sideways play when I apply pressure to the slide or barrel. In general the finish is well polished and free of defects. The internal milling marks are minimal and as good or better than some custom guns. The trigger is very nice with minimal take up and a nice crisp let go. The reset is short and positive. There is an over travel screw and it was set just right from the factory. Another design feature I like is that it is a 70 series gun. Trigger pull from the factory is 4.5 pounds. Not bad for the price. Now, how does it shoot. Very nicely, no FTF, FTFire or FTE in 499 rounds of mixed ammo. Weight is a little heavy but this reduces recoil. I like this gun especially for what I paid for it. Now for the clincher, the price was $550. I'm amazed that Metro Arms can make a gun this nice for that price.

Anyone else have experience with them???

Last edited by Minorcan; 04-12-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4335 Times on 2443 Posts
Likes Given: 2062

For the price, they seem decent.

Aftermarket sights may be difficult to fit into the front dove tail (everyone I've seen has a larger dovetail).

Consider replacing recoil and firing pin springs. Shorter 1911s require more frequent replacement.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4697 Times on 2237 Posts
Likes Given: 2320

Minorcan,

Is this a picture of your New 1911. Sure looks like and sounds like a great pistol! And especially for the money!
File Type: jpg American Classic Commander.jpg (62.8 KB, 78 views)

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
--Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #4

Sorry for the delay posting back, I've been busy with work.

Mine is the two tone version but otherwise that is what mine looks like.

Thanks for your replies. I got to shoot mine a little, 700 rounds. I had zero FTFeed, FTFire, FTE or jams of any kind. The gun is just as tight as new, which it should be. The good news I that the trigger got even smoother and crisper. Amazing what a few 45 acp down the barrel will do. I agree with other posters cast frames are not a worry at least not for me. There are mixed messages on the webb whether its a forged or cast item.

One thing I did notice is that the grips though rough looking are really comfortable. Similar to a pair on a S&W I have. Look rough but OK.

I would say overall the accuracy is better than me. I did some shooting from a sand bag at 30 yards and groups were around 2.0-2.75" using a combination of ammo. I've run some ball and JHP with no problems.

Last edited by Minorcan; 04-30-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #5

Liked 1054 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 926

I have maybe 2 of the first ever sold in the US. They are a great buy. Enjoy yours.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
I have maybe 2 of the first ever sold in the US. They are a great buy. Enjoy yours.
I understand that unlike RIA that makes thousands of 1911s a month Metro only makes a couple hundred a month to maintain higher fit, finish and quality. I'm not knocking RIAs just wondering why the Metros haven't gotten more attention. I have a Ruger 1911 and its nice but the Metro is tighter and overall a nicer gun IMHO.

Out of curiosity, when did you acquire your early versions and are they still shooting well, any issues?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #7

Liked 1054 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
I understand that unlike RIA that makes thousands of 1911s a month Metro only makes a couple hundred a month to maintain higher fit, finish and quality. I'm not knocking RIAs just wondering why the Metros haven't gotten more attention. I have a Ruger 1911 and its nice but the Metro is tighter and overall a nicer gun IMHO.

Out of curiosity, when did you acquire your early versions and are they still shooting well, any issues?
I bought these about 6 years ago. The GI version was $300 and the the enhanced version was $350. The GI is number 00056. I just gave it to a buddy of mine as he didn't have a descent pistol to defend his place. Now my best friends have 55, 56 and 57 serial numbers. If you can find a lower serial numbers let me know. All were bought at Buds gun shop. We live very close by.

The enhanced version is serial number 00075. The guy who started the American Classic forum has 00079 and was told by the owner of Metro Arms his is the lowest number in the US. I had to send him a pic to prove mine is probably the first ever sold here. Buds only had mine in stock.

Both have been uber reliable and never missed a beat. Why would I give my best friend a gun that wasn't.

The GI
American Classic 1911s - 1911 Forum

The enhanced.
That is the original hammer.
American Classic 1911s - 1911 Forum

Last edited by limbkiller; 05-02-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #8

Nice looking gun. I like mine more an more. Mine has yet to have a malfunction and really any well built gun shouldn't. I'm still surprised that they can make a gun with this much attention to detail, fit and finish for the price point. My enhanced number is a little newer than yours at 016XX.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:31 AM   #9

Liked 1038 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 1204

MetroArms makes great 1911's. one of the under-rated manufacturers of 1911's on the market currently. some people think only high quality 1911's can be made in the United States and think the Philippine made 1911's are junk, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I currently own two of them, one a GI American Classic II and the other an American Classic Commander and both have performed flawlessly since first acquiring them several years ago. I wouldn't hesitate in the least in buying another or recommending them to someone looking for an affordable 1911 to add to their collection.

fit and finish as far as function is great. cosmetic finish is compared to such as Colt, or Dan Wesson is as great. it's not bad, just not near the same cosmetic finish as some of the higher priced 1911's on the market, but as mine are shooter and not safe queens, I can live with that personally.
towboater Likes This 
Old 07-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #10

Liked 245 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 351

I have had several of these commander length 1911s in the blued version. The grips that come with them now are pretty appealing to the eye, I think, but I always find myself putting pachmyre (sp) wrap around grips on mine. I currently don't have one, but will get another one week soon I hope.

Accuracy on these are incredible. My 15 year old is a tack driver with them and my 9 year old isn't no slouch either. I think when I bought mine they were 475.