Amateur Product Analysis - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Amateur Product Analysis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

It was oddly coincidental how events unfolded the morning of my range test; I brought with me a gun that I was looking to sell, and was finally offered a reasonable price for it ($200) at the range. Funny enough, $200 will buy you 500 rounds of cheap .45 ball. Having just read "Mr. Canebrake's 500" thread a few nights prior, I made up my mind to do a write-up utilizing this function test. Now by round 200 or so, I knew I had a shooter, but with all that ammo on the table it was just so doggone hard to stop!

Cane, I intentionally referenced your method in its most literal fashion because I think it is geared towards the new shooter, and in that respect it is an excellent answer to, "Do I need to break in my new gun?" Seldom is there a single answer to any question, especially pertaining to firearms, but to the new shooter what better advice exists than, "Get out there and send 500 downrange!" The unmentioned side-effect is that, without question, after 500 rounds you will be intimately familiar with the function and performance of your firearm.

So have I or will I put a weapon into service before the 500th round? You better believe it. But for simplicity's sake and in the effort to educate the untrained masses, my vote, Mr. Canebrake, is for you to keep repeating the number 500!

(The more I say it, the more it sounds like the Indy 500. You'd better make it 1000, and call it the Canebrake Grand.)

Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #12

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Thank you ColdIron, and I'm glad someone got the gist of my rant of a couple of months ago.

For those of you that get it, I'm sorry for the redundancy. For those of you that don't, I'll keep trying.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 05-15-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
fmj

Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdIron44 View Post
My sincerest apologies to the crossed-cannon advocates out there! In my eyes they appear cartoon-like, and there's only one cartoon-like cannon for me; It's black on a white flag with the words, "COME AND TAKE IT!"
BAH! Dont apologize dude! Its personal preference. If you dont like it, thats your call.

Still a damn fine shootin' iron! Its just when i had gotten MINE all those years ago it had come with the cool stuff yours did. I.E. paddle holster, double mag pouch. Mine only came in the blue box with an extra mag. I like the looks of the grips that come on 'em now a LOT better than the plain jane wood grips mine came with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
Also (in addition to fmj's trigger group advice) the Super Match Trigger Group from C&S(Cylinder & Slide) is an excellent choice too. I have that installed on my SA Loaded and my trigger is butter now.
LOL! Thats why i suggested the Wilson Combat trigger group...thats whats in my S/A loaded. ( i also put a kimber owner to shame, someday i should relate that tale )

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #14

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

My Springer 1911A1 is special because it's a gift from my

daughter. The Canebrake 500 did the trick for me.

I use a little grease on the slide rails to ensure trouble-free

operation.

A few drops of ATF with a Q-tip on internal parts, between cleanings,

to dramatically cut down on cleaning time.