aluminum vs. stainless frames? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

aluminum vs. stainless frames?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Nice!

I need to recon more intel!

aluminum vs. stainless frames? - 1911 Forum

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-25-2011, 03:13 AM   #22

Well the Super Carry is now in my possesion. As soon as I can I will give a full range report. It feels like an extention of my hand and so far I am very happy. I bought 100 rounds of Winchester 230gr amo and a box of Hornaday Critical Defence. I also had to grab an extra mag. more to follow.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
First, I need to state my public rant directed towards the S&W 1911 external extractor has nothing to do with its efficacy. The external extractor is a historically proven system that I trust my life to when carrying my Browning Hi-Power. Functionally there is nothing wrong with the S&W extraction system. It’s just ugly, plus it’s fun to stir up the S&W 1911 fan boys.

My real dislike is the external extractor isn’t a JMB-original design in either the BHP or the 1911 pattern pistol. Don’t hate the hater. It is also a portal for the introduction of dirt to the unnecessary addition of moving parts. In the function of spent casing extraction, less is more and the genius of Mr. Browning is evident in his simple, one-piece extractor design.

Now to your statement, "...they require no retensioning/tuning of the extractor." (sic) In my life long experience of shooting the original "true" JMB 1911 pattern pistol I have yet found the need to retention the extractor. I have found the tuning of the extractor to be a brilliant exercise in allowing you to drop your brass exactly where you want! Do that with your spring and moment arm.
Still, going back to what the OP asks, the S&W scandium alloy frame is a gem. Very light weight, but HIGH strength (I have read that you are an engineer; perhaps you can explain to the rest of us blue collar types, how this alloy works so?). Too bad the OP has already made his purchase, especially with Smith coming out with their new Enhanced Series. It will be my first purchase of a 1911 w/a barrel less than 5", but with a rounded butt, light but extremely strong frame, and so many other premium features, I will not only carry it all day, but intend to fire it so often that even if I have to dip into my beer money, I will spend as much on ammo as I do my rent - no kidding! No worries!

My statement about "adjusting" the internal extractor is not from personal experience, but from reading over many years in gun mags about the sometimes requirement - right or wrong. STOP! I know, just because some hack has written a published article, does not mean that he/she is some guru on the subject, but having just spent several bucks on the mag, I have to read it.

"JMB FOR SECRETARY OF DEFENSE!"

Last edited by parinoid54; 01-25-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

very nice choice... i have had a pro CDP for a little over a year always been happy with it. but when i saw that one on the back of american rifleman a few months ago i was like damn that ones beautiful too.
as far as alloy vs. steel you guys somed it up well.
that frame is sturdy and light. i take it to the range most of the time but only shoot 60 or 100rds at a time.
and if you didnt know you can order a wilson with an alloy frame. although i would think that most dont.
when i get another 1911 it will a full size steel frame. but not at all unhappy with my choice at all.

and cane you have some nice 1911's for sure

Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #25

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post
...and cane you have some nice 1911's for sure
Thank you.

My next addition is a can for the GSG 1911-22.

aluminum vs. stainless frames? - 1911 Forum

This is a pic of her trying on the new dress.

What a great look!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 01-26-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #26

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have the Para LTC with the alloy frame. It's been a carry and range gun for the last few years. It gets the most of my range time because I like being used to what I carry.It's somewhere around 5K-7K rounds through it (250 today). Still shoots as good today as it did when I got it. I was driving golf balls with it at 50 yards. The only alloy frame weapons I have are Sigs (2) and that Para. Neither have given the slightest indication of a problem yet. I wont speak to any other makes as I have not any real experience with them and alloy frames. I did have a Kimber that has one but that thing just never felt right and I was having troubles out another one so they both went away never to return.

In all reality I don't see much difference in the felt recoil in it and my Springer, or Pt1911. But I shoot [the LTC] more so maybe that has a lot do to with it.