Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Aluminum Frame on 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/aluminum-frame-1911-a-15520/)

SirIsaacNewton 07-08-2009 08:53 PM

Aluminum Frame on 1911

Has anyone heard about the reliability of the Aluminum frames on 1911's. I have a Kimber tactical carry that has an Aluminum frame. I have the fullsize custom II that has the steel frame. I am going to be buying a 4" model and the Kimber CDP II pro has an aluminum frame while the Eclipse Pro has a steel frame. I would like these things to last a lifetime with proper maintenance and be something I could pass down to my future (knock on wood) sons. Thanks for any info you have.

skullcrusher 07-08-2009 09:35 PM

I am not familiar with them. Are they hard coated? Which annodize or solution treatment? Cast or solid blanks? 2xxx, 6xxx or 7xxx series alum?

M16 military and most AR uppers and lowers are aluminum made from sand castings.

I may wonder about many, many rounds coupled with the fact that aluminum is a self aging alloy.

I imagine the recoil would be heavier due to the light weight properties.

I would like to see many opinions a pov's, too.

SirIsaacNewton 07-09-2009 02:04 AM

carefully machined 7075-T7 aluminum frame. Made on the same state-of-the-art machines and to the same tight tolerances as Kimber steel and stainless steel frames, they are incredibly strong. As proof, Kimber aluminum frames have been tested to over 20,000 rounds with no evidence of meaningful wear. Slides are either steel or stainless steel, depending on model.

That is straight from the site. I want to here it out of the mouth of someone who has around 10,000 rounds through one.

matt g 07-09-2009 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirIsaacNewton (Post 126580)
carefully machined 7075-T7 aluminum frame. Made on the same state-of-the-art machines and to the same tight tolerances as Kimber steel and stainless steel frames, they are incredibly strong. As proof, Kimber aluminum frames have been tested to over 20,000 rounds with no evidence of meaningful wear. Slides are either steel or stainless steel, depending on model.

That is straight from the site. I want to here it out of the mouth of someone who has around 10,000 rounds through one.

My steel framed Kimber has at least 10k rds through it. It hasn't even worn the finish off of the frame rails.

hawkman1 07-09-2009 08:03 AM

I don't know anything about the reliability of the aluminum frames but I am getting a Kimber Pro Tactical 2 so it would be nice to see what others have to say about the issue. If no one is able to speak out about its reliability, then I will let you know how I feel about it after I get it and put some rounds through it.

Yunus 07-09-2009 10:52 AM

I've never held an aluminum framed 1911, is the weight savings dramatic?

Sarge43 07-09-2009 12:58 PM

I've had my Kimber Pro CDPII for a couple years now. While I haven't sent 20,000 rounds downrange through her, I have shot her a lot and have no noticeable wear at all on the frame. Only think I don't like about it in general is the finish - it's a little "fragile". Other than that I have no complaints. I also have the Ultra Carry II, but don't have enough rounds through it that wear should even be a factor yet.
Good luck!
Sarge

mr1911 08-22-2009 09:00 PM

I've never been a fan of aluminum frames on a 1911, I know newer, quality brand name frames like Kimber don't seem to show any serious problems, but earlier 1911 brands, even Colts have developed stress cracks in the past. The other reason I don't care for them is that a .45 benefits from having some weight in the pistol to help reduce recoil, people are trying to build .45s with designs that work well in a 9mm, then are suprised when there are problems down the road with the gun.
Give me a steel govt. and I'm a very happy camper,.....just my .02

hawkman1 08-23-2009 06:04 AM

Well, I have gotten my Kimber and have shot a couple of hundred rounds through it now and I have not noticed any increase in recoil. That might be contributed also to the increased strength of the recoil spring. It is 22 pounds vs. 18 on the 5".

I have noticed that the paint on the frame rails have been scraped off but nothing else at this point.

mr1911 08-23-2009 07:33 PM

I noticed a heavier spring helps soften the recoil too.
Aluminum is funny sometimes, it doesn't hold certian finishes well in some conditions.