The alternative? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

The alternative?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So Taurus? That seems to be the pistol that is in my price range at this point...

NGIB 750 is a tad bit expensive at he moment and on top of that I live intexas notice the sig

what are the dimensions on that pistol btw? I didnt read your post thoroughly is it carry size with a shorter barrel and handle.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #12

Liked 2179 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Rock Island Armory actually has a good 1911 for the money.
I have the Citidel. I understand that it is the replacement for RIA. It is a good gun. I have the 5 inch model. But they also make a compact. Mine eats up hollow points without a single glitch. Mine came with ambi safety. The feed ramp looks to be polished from the factory. I have shot 165 grain lead round nose, 185 grain JHP , 200 grain trununciated cone, 230 JHP, and 255 grain lead round nose. Never a problem with any of them. Awesome gun. I spent just over $500 for mine. It also came with the skeletonized trigger and hammer. Very nice for the money.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 03-13-2010 at 02:15 AM.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:15 AM   #13

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 Mil Spec .45 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $399.00 delivered

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-13-2010, 02:19 AM   #14

Liked 2179 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Wow, you can't argue with that!!!!
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here is an idea you may wish to consider. Over the decades I have purchased and been very happy with numerous used .45s. They were all Colts, but the prices were always just a few hundred bucks. I used to visit pawn shops and gun shops (pre-internet days) off the beaten path (i.e., small towns). Guns that had bounced around in tackle boxes or under the front seat of someone's pickup truck. One checks the safety in the store, Usually the store will let you field strip it for a quick inspection (or the clerk will do it for you). Presumably you will have by now handled enough 45s, and.or read Kuhnhausen's books so you have an idea what you are looking out for. Look for burrs and other problem signs in critical places. If the feed ramp has been gouged out by an amateur who failed at a polishing attempt, say no thank you. There should be no movement of a cocked hammer at all with the safety on and the trigger being pulled. Take the safety off leaving the hammer cocked and manipulate the trigger without touching the grip safety. Nothing is what should happen. If the hammer falls, say no thank you. Is the barrel in decent shape (not terribly important as new 1911a1 barrels are fairly easy to get, but a good bargaining point for haggling). What brand (and how many) of magazine comes with the gun? Check the wear pattern on the recoil and barrel lugs (the ones on the bottom of the slide too). To me, surface rust, slide pitting scratches and worn blue are really unimportant. [I usually polish, reblue or parkerize, and new sights the gun anyway.] Broken and worn springs lower prices, but are really easy to replace. If it passes your inspection and the price is good, buy it.

Dealers and pawnshops have (generally) become much more knowledgeable with the coming of the INet, but there are still many small shops whose owners don't do Internet, and even on the Internet places such as gunbroker. com very good buys do exist. What I am noting in these troubled times is some prices are falling. Sometimes a gun sits on a dealer's shelf or in the display case of a pawn shop for so long they lower the price just to move it out. Likewise a struggling shop on its last legs sometimes is only too happy to move the merchandise out.

Pictured here is a .45 that was covered with encrusted dirt sold 'as is' which I bought for $325 about 4 years ago in a rural gun shop (turns out it was about a month before their doors closed). It is a Colt 1911 made in 1915. It went to France that year, and came back into the country via Navy Arms in the 80s (they tell me they bought it in Argentina, so what has that gun seen?). Once the dirt was cleaned off the only thing found wrong was the missing front sight (not uncommon with the earlier thin round peg sights) and the fact someone had replaced the grips with Korean war vintage military grips. It now has high visibility sights, Wolff magazines and it shoots just fine.

I don't mind 'used' so in the past month I have acquired a Colt .32 auto for under $300 and last year a Shooting Master .45 New Service for just under $400. All now work just perfectly. Seriously, consider 'used' there are some good buys out there.
leftside2.jpg  

Last edited by superc; 03-14-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: want to change the picture size