The alternative?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > The alternative?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default The alternative?

I don't come in this part of the forum much, however, I am in the market for a good carry 1911.

Now I've heard blah blah about how Kimber and several other higher priced pistols are good guns, but I would like some suggestions on lower priced carry/compact 1911s that come in .45 and .40.

I mean not everyone can spend 1k plus on a gun

I'm looking around 600

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

$600. will get you a decent entry level 1911. If you want to shop a bit, you may be able to find a higher end used model for about the same money.

The webz is your friend. Look around and do a bit of research, then shop for bargains. They are out there.

We all know what opinions are like, buy that, that's junk, I love this one. Do some homework and let us know what you come up with. Then we can better help you sort it out.

Enjoy the quest.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Here's an example of a great carry 1911:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f41/colt-commander-23761/#post235238

Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check out Taurus. They are quality, full featured pieces with tight tolerances right from the factory. edit: I was wrong . They do have ****ty ambidextrous thumb safeties, but I would consider that a minor issue considering the bang for your buck you're getting otherwise.

Last edited by mpd8488; 03-03-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
Check out Taurus. They are quality, full featured pieces with tight tolerances right from the factory. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but they start with the same frames that Springfield uses. They do have ****ty ambidextrous thumb safeties, but I would consider that a minor issue considering the bang for your buck you're getting otherwise.
Taurus does not get their frames from the same place as Springer - same country but not the same vendor. Whether Taurus is a good bang for the buck is subject to interpretation...

Old 03-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #6

Rock Island Armory actually has a good 1911 for the money.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Taurus makes their own frames in house. I have 1 with the .460 Rowland conversion kit installed.

There are a truckload of compact 1911 platform, and sub-compacts out there based on the 1911 platform. Exactly how small are you wanting to go? Give us some idea so we can help you narrow it down somewhat. Generally the smaller it is, with all other things being equal, the harder it is to shoot.

That Comannder would make a PERFECT carry gun and it's an actual Colt from a WELL respected member! If I was in the market for 1 I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
Check out Taurus. They are quality, full featured pieces with tight tolerances right from the factory. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but they start with the same frames that Springfield uses. They do have ****ty ambidextrous thumb safeties, but I would consider that a minor issue considering the bang for your buck you're getting otherwise.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #8

it's alil heavier but i've never had a single problem with it and carry it every single day and everywhere i'm legally allowed to lol but rock island 1911 it's a great piece...3 1/2" barrel...and for $400 you can't shake a stick at it....it's also a great price if you lookin to learn how to work on 1911's and do some basic upgrades...that's just my 2cents tho lol

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 03-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #9

Springfield offers GI's and Mil-Specs, where I am from, for under that price. Look at Para if you want to go the .40 route. Happy hunting

up and at'em cupcake...we got diem to carpe

Old 03-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypoonani View Post
I don't come in this part of the forum much, however, I am in the market for a good carry 1911.

Now I've heard blah blah about how Kimber and several other higher priced pistols are good guns, but I would like some suggestions on lower priced carry/compact 1911s that come in .45 and .40.

I mean not everyone can spend 1k plus on a gun

I'm looking around 600
My pro carry 2 was less than $900 with night sights. You can get them for less than $800 without and used for about $650 or so. I've seen several in that price range just keep an eye out.