Alloy frame lifetime? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Alloy frame lifetime?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 02:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
You buy an alloy gun to carry, you buy a steel gun to shoot.

Well cane I can't afford both,especially with the brand I'm going with. Dan Wesson.

Question here is do I go ahead and take the alloy,or go with the steel suck it up and carry the extra 6 ounces and be sure I'll have a gun that should last tilli give it to my kid and then some.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #12

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post

Well cane I can't afford both,especially with the brand I'm going with. Dan Wesson.

Question here is do I go ahead and take the alloy,or go with the steel suck it up and carry the extra 6 ounces and be sure I'll have a gun that should last tilli give it to my kid and then some.
6 oz really doesnt make that much of a difference. I carry a steel frame

Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #13

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:

6 oz really doesnt make that much of a difference. I carry a steel frame 1911 every day and know if the time comes and my adrenalines pumping an extra 6 oz wont feel like s***. so my personal preference is all steel

Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #14

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Jstrong, Just personal experience, not internet BS as has been suggested. I purchased a new .45 ACP Colt Commander in 1980. I had been carrying a full sized steel-framed Government off duty and just wanted a lighter 1911 type gun. My new Commander was reliable, sgnificantly lighter and fit the bill. After very moderate use, the frame cracked vertically on the left side, in the area where the slide impacts the frame with each shot fired. I stop-drilled the crack and the gun still sees occasional use by a family member. Two co-workers showed me their new SIG P226 9MM pistols. Those guns, purchased new, and fired a few hundred rounds during the semi-auto transition course cracked horizontally within the frame rails. SIG replaced both guns under warranty. Again, not internet BS, personal experience. In a Shooting Times artcle years ago, Skeeter Skelton did a 5000 rd. test of a Light weight Commander and a Gold Cup. Sometime during the test, the Commander's frame cracked. He indicated the Commander was still usable, but really needed a new frame. Jeff Cooper indicated that he believed the Lt. Wt. Commander was a gun to be carried a lot, and shot a little. I think Col. Cooper was on the right track there.

Anyway, I think the lightweight 1911 types are ok, but carried the the full sized steel gun 40+ hours a week for several years, and if carrying a 1911 anywhere, now days, it's the 5" steel framed version...ymmv

Ps, during the past year, I've become a DW owner. The DWs are a cut above most production 1911s, IMHO.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185
Jstrong, Just personal experience, not internet BS as has been suggested. I purchased a new .45 ACP Colt Commander in 1980. I had been carrying a full sized steel-framed Government off duty and just wanted a lighter 1911 type gun. My new Commander was reliable, sgnificantly lighter and fit the bill. After very moderate use, the frame cracked vertically on the left side, in the area where the slide impacts the frame with each shot fired. I stop-drilled the crack and the gun still sees occasional use by a family member. Two co-workers showed me their new SIG P226 9MM pistols. Those guns, purchased new, and fired a few hundred rounds during the semi-auto transition course cracked horizontally within the frame rails. SIG replaced both guns under warranty. Again, not internet BS, personal experience. In a Shooting Times artcle years ago, Skeeter Skelton did a 5000 rd. test of a Light weight Commander and a Gold Cup. Sometime during the test, the Commander's frame cracked. He indicated the Commander was still usable, but really needed a new frame. Jeff Cooper indicated that he believed the Lt. Wt. Commander was a gun to be carried a lot, and shot a little. I think Col. Cooper was on the right track there.

Anyway, I think the lightweight 1911 types are ok, but carried the the full sized steel gun 40+ hours a week for several years, and if carrying a 1911 anywhere, now days, it's the 5" steel framed version...ymmv

Ps, during the past year, I've become a DW owner. The DWs are a cut above most production 1911s, IMHO.
Thank you for the insight,while I do plan on carrying this gun I always have been of the opinion that you practice with what you carry. So I do believe this gun will get shot a pretty good amount.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #16

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 12-14-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft
Very insightful,would you care to elaborate?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #18

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Responded to the wrong post so I deleted it

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #19

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Well the plan is to put a box of ammo down range every week as long as funds allow,which shouldn't be too bad if I go on free lane day..If I carry it,I am of the opinion that I should be as proficient in its use. So a box of ammo a week would be 2600 rounds a year,so if say probably about 2000 a year to be on the safe side since I know I won't make it every week. But then again I'm sure some trips I'll shoot more than others.

Also i should mention that I would like this gun to last long enough to be an heirloom.
Buy a Colt!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #20

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:

See post #19.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello