Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Alloy frame lifetime?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Default Alloy frame lifetime?

So what's the general consensus between y'all die-hard 1911 guys. What is to be expected from an aluminum frames longevity relative to a standard steel frame? If you had s choice between the two and the alloy frame was 6 ounces lighter would that be enough to sway you at the cost of diminished lifetime? For an EDC btw.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #2

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Can't really guess & not smart enuff to know
Tho i've had several lite framed Commanders that were many many yrs young & reallly cud see no "wear"-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Did some research and the standard aluminum alloy used in guns has a tensile strength of 83,000 psi,while the steel that is most commonly used has a tensile strength of 240,000 psi. Seems pretty significant to me,so its got me wondering how that difference really translates into actual the longevity of a firearm. Thought someone here may have experiences with both and would be able to comment. I know there's some users here that shoot the snot out of their guns and have achieved high enough round counts to testify to the matter.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I had the same question a while back on here. Basically the alloy will out live you, but I wanted to buy an heirloom and have it passed down for generations... hopefully. I ended up with the kimber ultra carry HD II. Full stainless and I love it.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #5

Liked 868 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 608

How many rounds are you "really" gonna shoot through the gun. 3,000 rds., 10,000 rds. or 50,000 rds.. Really c'mon most people don't shoot enough to tear up an aluminum frame gun. Do you realize the cost of 20,000 rds at today's prices even reloading? You will not ever wear out an aluminum frame unless your rich and shoot several times a week for years. It's a non issue for 99.9% of gun owners. Just internet B.S. for people who don't have a clue to talk about. Buy the aluminum framed gun and forget about it as it will not likely ever happen that you wear one out. Doesn't matter anyway if you buy a gun with a lifetime warranty like Colt or Springfield Armory. Please stay away from overpriced, lousy CS, and ONE year warranty Kimber.

USMC 74-78

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well I have two kimbers and love them both. Don't know why you need to slam my choice in buying them, but hey to each his own. There is a reason Kimber's are one the best. Regardless of their warranty

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Kimber makes great quality firearms, anyone who bashes them over a 1 year warranty obviously dont understand what having a good quality product is. Id rather have a great product with a 1 year warranty and never have to use it, than a shoddie or subpar product with a lifetime warranty that you are gonna use repeatedly. I havent had the need for kimbers cs or warranty. I buy a quality 1911 because of its fit/finish/great feeling trigger, and not because if itd fubar they will fix it over and over again

Old 12-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You buy an alloy gun to carry, you buy a steel gun to shoot.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller
How many rounds are you "really" gonna shoot through the gun. 3,000 rds., 10,000 rds. or 50,000 rds.. Really c'mon most people don't shoot enough to tear up an aluminum frame gun. Do you realize the cost of 20,000 rds at today's prices even reloading? You will not ever wear out an aluminum frame unless your rich and shoot several times a week for years. It's a non issue for 99.9% of gun owners. Just internet B.S. for people who don't have a clue to talk about. Buy the aluminum framed gun and forget about it as it will not likely ever happen that you wear one out. Doesn't matter anyway if you buy a gun with a lifetime warranty like Colt or Springfield Armory. Please stay away from overpriced, lousy CS, and ONE year warranty Kimber.
Well the plan is to put a box of ammo down range every week as long as funds allow,which shouldn't be too bad if I go on free lane day..If I carry it,I am of the opinion that I should be as proficient in its use. So a box of ammo a week would be 2600 rounds a year,so if say probably about 2000 a year to be on the safe side since I know I won't make it every week. But then again I'm sure some trips I'll shoot more than others.

Also i should mention that I would like this gun to last long enough to be an heirloom.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #10
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

I have a cdp custom II that I know I have at least 15,000 rounds and possibly up to 25,000 rounds that is still tight and reliable.