Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Alloy frame lifetime? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/alloy-frame-lifetime-78366/)

Jstrong 12-13-2012 03:20 PM

Alloy frame lifetime?

So what's the general consensus between y'all die-hard 1911 guys. What is to be expected from an aluminum frames longevity relative to a standard steel frame? If you had s choice between the two and the alloy frame was 6 ounces lighter would that be enough to sway you at the cost of diminished lifetime? For an EDC btw.

HOSSFLY 12-13-2012 03:25 PM

Can't really guess & not smart enuff to know :o
Tho i've had several lite framed Commanders that were many many yrs young & reallly cud see no "wear"-

Jstrong 12-13-2012 03:34 PM

Did some research and the standard aluminum alloy used in guns has a tensile strength of 83,000 psi,while the steel that is most commonly used has a tensile strength of 240,000 psi. Seems pretty significant to me,so its got me wondering how that difference really translates into actual the longevity of a firearm. Thought someone here may have experiences with both and would be able to comment. I know there's some users here that shoot the snot out of their guns and have achieved high enough round counts to testify to the matter.

DarinCraft 12-13-2012 04:28 PM

I had the same question a while back on here. Basically the alloy will out live you, but I wanted to buy an heirloom and have it passed down for generations... hopefully. I ended up with the kimber ultra carry HD II. Full stainless and I love it.

limbkiller 12-13-2012 11:19 PM

How many rounds are you "really" gonna shoot through the gun. 3,000 rds., 10,000 rds. or 50,000 rds.. Really c'mon most people don't shoot enough to tear up an aluminum frame gun. Do you realize the cost of 20,000 rds at today's prices even reloading? You will not ever wear out an aluminum frame unless your rich and shoot several times a week for years. It's a non issue for 99.9% of gun owners. Just internet B.S. for people who don't have a clue to talk about. Buy the aluminum framed gun and forget about it as it will not likely ever happen that you wear one out. Doesn't matter anyway if you buy a gun with a lifetime warranty like Colt or Springfield Armory. Please stay away from overpriced, lousy CS, and ONE year warranty Kimber.

DarinCraft 12-14-2012 12:50 AM

Well I have two kimbers and love them both. Don't know why you need to slam my choice in buying them, but hey to each his own. There is a reason Kimber's are one the best. Regardless of their warranty

jakewpns 12-14-2012 01:40 AM

Kimber makes great quality firearms, anyone who bashes them over a 1 year warranty obviously dont understand what having a good quality product is. Id rather have a great product with a 1 year warranty and never have to use it, than a shoddie or subpar product with a lifetime warranty that you are gonna use repeatedly. I havent had the need for kimbers cs or warranty. I buy a quality 1911 because of its fit/finish/great feeling trigger, and not because if itd fubar they will fix it over and over again

canebrake 12-14-2012 01:44 AM

You buy an alloy gun to carry, you buy a steel gun to shoot.

Jstrong 12-14-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limbkiller
How many rounds are you "really" gonna shoot through the gun. 3,000 rds., 10,000 rds. or 50,000 rds.. Really c'mon most people don't shoot enough to tear up an aluminum frame gun. Do you realize the cost of 20,000 rds at today's prices even reloading? You will not ever wear out an aluminum frame unless your rich and shoot several times a week for years. It's a non issue for 99.9% of gun owners. Just internet B.S. for people who don't have a clue to talk about. Buy the aluminum framed gun and forget about it as it will not likely ever happen that you wear one out. Doesn't matter anyway if you buy a gun with a lifetime warranty like Colt or Springfield Armory. Please stay away from overpriced, lousy CS, and ONE year warranty Kimber.

Well the plan is to put a box of ammo down range every week as long as funds allow,which shouldn't be too bad if I go on free lane day..If I carry it,I am of the opinion that I should be as proficient in its use. So a box of ammo a week would be 2600 rounds a year,so if say probably about 2000 a year to be on the safe side since I know I won't make it every week. But then again I'm sure some trips I'll shoot more than others.

Also i should mention that I would like this gun to last long enough to be an heirloom.

hmh 12-14-2012 01:52 AM

I have a cdp custom II that I know I have at least 15,000 rounds and possibly up to 25,000 rounds that is still tight and reliable.