Aftermarket parts?...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Aftermarket parts?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3858 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Default Aftermarket parts?...

So, I just bought the Kimber Custom II, and I can't leave good enough alone. Time to tinker, and learn the 1911 platform. I'm researching (why I'm here) and planning.

I need advice. I want to swap out kimber parts with aftermarket parts. So far I'm perusing the Wilson Combat page, and I'm ordering the 47D mags and the tactical slide release. However, what else would you guys recommend?

I see titanium firing pins, aftermarket triggers, springs, etc...

I could care less if I end up with a kimber frame and slide with all aftermarket parts.

So what parts would you swap out? Why? And by which manufacturer?

My goal other than learning everything about the 1911 platform is to replace any and every part that kimber might have cheaped out on...

I know there's some 1911 gods here and I'm ready to listen and ask questions as learn. Thanks guys!

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Go shoot the gun for a few hundred rounds. Then decide what you want to try different. Maybe the gun is a perfect setup just the way it is.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5642 Times on 2949 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Wouldn't recomend that.

Kimber doesn't follow the colt milspec 1911 format laid out by jmb. You need to be sure parts your ordering will work with a kimber as they are very loose clones. Even then parts fitting will almost positively be needed.

See above. Shoot it enjoy it if something breaks order parts then.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #4

Thanks! I didn't know that about kimber. What about ordering caspian frame/slide and building one from scratch out of parts?

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #5

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Mosin, the Kimbers are good guns IMHO. I doubt many 1911 type guns now days actually exactly match the original plans. I have owned five Kimbers over the years. I would shoot it for a while before doing changes for change' sake. Most of my 1911s have changes of some kind, but I have been shooting 1911s for a very long time and know what I prefer. Unless you are very experienced with the nuances of the 1911 platform, I sure wouldn't advise trying to build your own. I understand wanting to learn, but am always amazed by folks that want to work on their 1911s without really know much about it. It is not like assembling parts and "building" an AR for instance. Saw a post one time about a guy who was going to do a trigger job on his 1911 as soon as he could figure out how to field strip it...ymmv

Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Spend some money and pony up for a Springer Mil-Spec.

They are a lot closer to true spec machines. Shoot it for a while and see what you want to change.

I do not advise assembling your own from scratch. Too many "one time use" tools.

(Have you purchased the Kuhnhausen books on the 1911?)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #7

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

As many others have said,I would shoot the pistol a lot before thinking about changing anything. jmo

Old 09-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5642 Times on 2949 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Spend some money and pony up for a Springer Mil-Spec.

They are a lot closer to true spec machines. Shoot it for a while and see what you want to change.

I do not advise assembling your own from scratch. Too many "one time use" tools.

(Have you purchased the Kuhnhausen books on the 1911?)
This.

Rolling your own requires a lot of specialized expensive tools.

On a lark I took the guts out of my 1944 ithaca and put them in both my colt series 70's original and new and in my springfield A1 and they dropped right in. Worked fine. Tried it with a friends ruger and kimber total no go would need lots of fitting.

If you get the caspian stuff those are left with extra metal everywhere for the 1911 smith to pare down to the desired fitting. It is not for the feint of heart. I'm pretty handy with guns but I would not try building a 1911 from scratch unless I had free access to all jigs and tools.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #9

Liked 2490 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Mosin, one engineer to another:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."...

You don't, by chance, have any

background as a federal

employee, do you?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice guys! As for the kimber, it being different specs is enough of an answer for me.

As for building my own... Thanks for the book suggestion. I'll get it and read it before I make any decisions.
I have access to a machine shop with every machining tool imaginable. I've looked into machining the slide and frame, but honestly, it seemed quicker to just buy caspian, and go from there. I'll look into the mil spec.

Again, that's why I love this place, you guys have helped point me exactly where I needed to go. So thanks again.

I don't get the 'federal employee' comment?
Are you asking if I'm a fed?