Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Aftermarket parts?... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/aftermarket-parts-96583/)

Mosin 09-05-2013 04:19 AM

Aftermarket parts?...

So, I just bought the Kimber Custom II, and I can't leave good enough alone. Time to tinker, and learn the 1911 platform. I'm researching (why I'm here) and planning.

I need advice. I want to swap out kimber parts with aftermarket parts. So far I'm perusing the Wilson Combat page, and I'm ordering the 47D mags and the tactical slide release. However, what else would you guys recommend?

I see titanium firing pins, aftermarket triggers, springs, etc...

I could care less if I end up with a kimber frame and slide with all aftermarket parts.

So what parts would you swap out? Why? And by which manufacturer?

My goal other than learning everything about the 1911 platform is to replace any and every part that kimber might have cheaped out on...

I know there's some 1911 gods here and I'm ready to listen and ask questions as learn. Thanks guys!

aandabooks 09-05-2013 04:25 AM

Go shoot the gun for a few hundred rounds. Then decide what you want to try different. Maybe the gun is a perfect setup just the way it is.

JonM 09-05-2013 04:33 AM

Wouldn't recomend that.

Kimber doesn't follow the colt milspec 1911 format laid out by jmb. You need to be sure parts your ordering will work with a kimber as they are very loose clones. Even then parts fitting will almost positively be needed.

See above. Shoot it enjoy it if something breaks order parts then.

Mosin 09-05-2013 04:38 AM

Thanks! I didn't know that about kimber. What about ordering caspian frame/slide and building one from scratch out of parts?

rock185 09-05-2013 07:24 AM

Mosin, the Kimbers are good guns IMHO. I doubt many 1911 type guns now days actually exactly match the original plans. I have owned five Kimbers over the years. I would shoot it for a while before doing changes for change' sake. Most of my 1911s have changes of some kind, but I have been shooting 1911s for a very long time and know what I prefer. Unless you are very experienced with the nuances of the 1911 platform, I sure wouldn't advise trying to build your own. I understand wanting to learn, but am always amazed by folks that want to work on their 1911s without really know much about it. It is not like assembling parts and "building" an AR for instance. Saw a post one time about a guy who was going to do a trigger job on his 1911 as soon as he could figure out how to field strip it...ymmv

danf_fl 09-05-2013 09:20 AM

Spend some money and pony up for a Springer Mil-Spec.

They are a lot closer to true spec machines. Shoot it for a while and see what you want to change.

I do not advise assembling your own from scratch. Too many "one time use" tools.

(Have you purchased the Kuhnhausen books on the 1911?)

MOshooter 09-05-2013 11:19 AM

As many others have said,I would shoot the pistol a lot before thinking about changing anything. jmo

JonM 09-05-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1358935)
Spend some money and pony up for a Springer Mil-Spec.

They are a lot closer to true spec machines. Shoot it for a while and see what you want to change.

I do not advise assembling your own from scratch. Too many "one time use" tools.

(Have you purchased the Kuhnhausen books on the 1911?)

This.

Rolling your own requires a lot of specialized expensive tools.

On a lark I took the guts out of my 1944 ithaca and put them in both my colt series 70's original and new and in my springfield A1 and they dropped right in. Worked fine. Tried it with a friends ruger and kimber total no go would need lots of fitting.

If you get the caspian stuff those are left with extra metal everywhere for the 1911 smith to pare down to the desired fitting. It is not for the feint of heart. I'm pretty handy with guns but I would not try building a 1911 from scratch unless I had free access to all jigs and tools.

therewolf 09-05-2013 03:24 PM

Mosin, one engineer to another:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."...;)

You don't, by chance, have any

background as a federal

employee, do you?

Mosin 09-05-2013 06:24 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! As for the kimber, it being different specs is enough of an answer for me.

As for building my own... Thanks for the book suggestion. I'll get it and read it before I make any decisions.
I have access to a machine shop with every machining tool imaginable. I've looked into machining the slide and frame, but honestly, it seemed quicker to just buy caspian, and go from there. I'll look into the mil spec.

Again, that's why I love this place, you guys have helped point me exactly where I needed to go. So thanks again.

I don't get the 'federal employee' comment?
Are you asking if I'm a fed?