After market upgrades...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

After market upgrades...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default After market upgrades...

Well, my best friend is getting married once his girl finishes college in a year and some change, and since I like to plan out far in ahead I've been thinkin' about what I'm gonna get him for. Right now I'm thinkin' I might gift him my Springfield GI 1911. He shot it with me back in September and seemed to like it. Since it IS a wedding gift though I'd like to do some nice little upgrades to it, mostly functional stuff so no chroming the entire thing or etching gold into it with his and her name or anything. I've got no real budget right now, I'd prefer it to cost less than the original gun did though.

Right now what I'm thinking I'll do is...

1. New night sights
2. New hammer/grip safety
3. Maybe a new magwell
4. Nice grips (to go with the 2 extra sets of grips I'll get him)
5. Trigger upgrade

What exactly does slide lapping do? Does it make it easier for it to cycle (and just make it real real clean) or is there some other benefit 'cause I'm also toying around with the idea of that.

This is what I have to work with, I'd prefer to keep this at a DIY level except for sights which I'll trust to a gunsmith.

After market upgrades... - 1911 Forum

I do realize that at a certain point it'd just be easier to trade it in and get him a Kimber or something, but then it wouldn't have the same sentimental value which is my main point so that's not really an option.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I'd leave it in factory condition-
Let him "upgrade" it like HE wants it -
He may just like it as it is (I would)

Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

i agree with HOSS the gun as is with some nice grips would be far as i would go.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm with the other guys on this, just leave it stock. Maybe put some double diamond wood grips on it for looks. But that's it.

... and what do I have to do to have you gift me a 1911?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Agreeing with everybody else,
If he liked it when he shot it, then don't mess with anything.
If he's anything like me, then the GI feels better stock than any other 1911 because it doesn't have that uncomfortable bump on the grip safety, if you change that he may not like it as much.
Put some nice double diamond grips on it and leave it at that.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'm with the other guys on this, just leave it stock. Maybe put some double diamond wood grips on it for looks. But that's it.

... and what do I have to do to have you gift me a 1911?
Be my best friend for about 6 years or so, and have known you for about 10.

That or give me a decent quality AR-10, or the parts to one...
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #7

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

I'll have to vote for leaving it alone aw well. It is a very thoughtful gesture and a hell of a gift already. If you feel you must do more, why not toss in a holster or some mags or both.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I'll have to vote for leaving it alone aw well. It is a very thoughtful gesture and a hell of a gift already. If you feel you must do more, why not toss in a holster or some mags or both.
Gift certificate for Kramer Leather would be included, and a couple mags.

I figure if someone goes right for me it'll be either right before or right after I get what should be a pretty decent re-enlistment bonus, hopefully tax free if I manage to be deployed at the right time.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Does the GI have a full length guide rod? That was the first and only upgrade I did to my 1991A1.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Does the GI have a full length guide rod? That was the first and only upgrade I did to my 1991A1.
Did you notice any improvement at all? I left that one how I got it and the only trouble I've had was when I had an ND with a .40 S&W...

Some googling has revealed to me a bit of a split on if it's necessary or improves performance at all.