Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   After market upgrades... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/after-market-upgrades-36653/)

Ubergopher 01-09-2011 02:38 PM

After market upgrades...

Well, my best friend is getting married once his girl finishes college in a year and some change, and since I like to plan out far in ahead I've been thinkin' about what I'm gonna get him for. Right now I'm thinkin' I might gift him my Springfield GI 1911. He shot it with me back in September and seemed to like it. Since it IS a wedding gift though I'd like to do some nice little upgrades to it, mostly functional stuff so no chroming the entire thing or etching gold into it with his and her name or anything. I've got no real budget right now, I'd prefer it to cost less than the original gun did though.

Right now what I'm thinking I'll do is...

1. New night sights
2. New hammer/grip safety
3. Maybe a new magwell
4. Nice grips (to go with the 2 extra sets of grips I'll get him)
5. Trigger upgrade

What exactly does slide lapping do? Does it make it easier for it to cycle (and just make it real real clean) or is there some other benefit 'cause I'm also toying around with the idea of that.

This is what I have to work with, I'd prefer to keep this at a DIY level except for sights which I'll trust to a gunsmith.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...8/DSCN1322.jpg

I do realize that at a certain point it'd just be easier to trade it in and get him a Kimber or something, but then it wouldn't have the same sentimental value which is my main point so that's not really an option.

HOSSFLY 01-09-2011 03:06 PM

I'd leave it in factory condition-
Let him "upgrade" it like HE wants it -
He may just like it as it is (I would) :rolleyes:

JonM 01-09-2011 03:43 PM

i agree with HOSS the gun as is with some nice grips would be far as i would go.

CA357 01-09-2011 03:54 PM

I'm with the other guys on this, just leave it stock. Maybe put some double diamond wood grips on it for looks. But that's it.

... and what do I have to do to have you gift me a 1911?

General_lee 01-09-2011 04:19 PM

Agreeing with everybody else,
If he liked it when he shot it, then don't mess with anything.
If he's anything like me, then the GI feels better stock than any other 1911 because it doesn't have that uncomfortable bump on the grip safety, if you change that he may not like it as much.
Put some nice double diamond grips on it and leave it at that.

Ubergopher 01-09-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 418589)
I'm with the other guys on this, just leave it stock. Maybe put some double diamond wood grips on it for looks. But that's it.

... and what do I have to do to have you gift me a 1911?

Be my best friend for about 6 years or so, and have known you for about 10.

That or give me a decent quality AR-10, or the parts to one... :)

dog2000tj 01-09-2011 04:41 PM

I'll have to vote for leaving it alone aw well. It is a very thoughtful gesture and a hell of a gift already. If you feel you must do more, why not toss in a holster or some mags or both.

Ubergopher 01-09-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 418634)
I'll have to vote for leaving it alone aw well. It is a very thoughtful gesture and a hell of a gift already. If you feel you must do more, why not toss in a holster or some mags or both.

Gift certificate for Kramer Leather would be included, and a couple mags.

I figure if someone goes right for me it'll be either right before or right after I get what should be a pretty decent re-enlistment bonus, hopefully tax free if I manage to be deployed at the right time.

dunerunner 01-09-2011 05:13 PM

Does the GI have a full length guide rod? That was the first and only upgrade I did to my 1991A1.

Ubergopher 01-09-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 418659)
Does the GI have a full length guide rod? That was the first and only upgrade I did to my 1991A1.

Did you notice any improvement at all? I left that one how I got it and the only trouble I've had was when I had an ND with a .40 S&W...

Some googling has revealed to me a bit of a split on if it's necessary or improves performance at all.