Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Advice on what to get (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/advice-what-get-50421/)

xdm11chad 10-24-2011 12:21 AM

Advice on what to get

Want a 1911 and I want a good one now what should I look for if my budget keeps me under a grand

trip286 10-24-2011 12:43 AM

Colt, Kimber, and S&W all make sub 1k 1911's. As does Springfield Armory, and all of these get good reviews. Not to mention Remington's R1, and the newest in the game SR1911 by Ruger.

I'm researching the exact same thing you are, have been for almost a year and haven't made my first 1911 purchase yet :)

There are also other cheaper models. Mr. Wray is having a great time with his Hi Standard.

Marlinman 10-24-2011 01:04 AM

The colt is awesome. Oh wait im a colt addict:) so thats not fair. Another one is regent but sone people dont like them. Most colts are well over a grand though. Rock river arms are good to also. Not sure their price though. If you want to ask someone in particular about 1911s id ask canebrake. Now what are you wanting it for?

danf_fl 10-24-2011 01:05 AM

In my quest to find the "Perfect" 1911 (and I'm still looking), I have come to the conclusion that buying the best one can afford is the way to go. Think about the basic 1911a1 and then add features that make it work great.
"must have" include good sights, good trigger, good grip safety to avoid "hammer bite", grips.
Then comes the "nice to have" features such as a longer mag release, magazine funnel, checkered fore strap, extended thumb safety.

I would start with a manufacturer that has a good track record (Colt, Springfield, etc...)

I would not overlook used pistols. I have sold a group for less than what I had paid new. Like a dummy, I sold a Dan Wesson for less than $650.00 once. But I have also purchased Ed Brown's for less than $1600.00.

MrWray 10-24-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
Colt, Kimber, and S&W all make sub 1k 1911's. As does Springfield Armory, and all of these get good reviews. Not to mention Remington's R1, and the newest in the game SR1911 by Ruger.

I'm researching the exact same thing you are, have been for almost a year and haven't made my first 1911 purchase yet :)

There are also other cheaper models. Mr. Wray is having a great time with his Hi Standard.

Thanks for the mention brother, i do love my high standard.. :-) it just recently received its 1,000th round down range and still flawless performance

Marlinman 10-24-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray

Thanks for the mention brother, i do love my high standard.. :-) it just recently received its 1,000th round down range and still flawless performance

Thats a hell of an accolade.

MrWray 10-24-2011 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

Thats a hell of an accolade.

Yessir, ive been very pleased with it

Marlinman 10-24-2011 02:26 AM

Ya iv got an origanal WWII 1911 usmc that has had god knows how many rounds put through before my great grandpa left her to me. Before you ask yes its legally in my possesion, Patton himself gave it to my great grandpa. At least thats the story. I know she still shoots and functions fine as heck. Iv put bout 750 rounds through her. I put her into "retirement" in my gun safe bout 3 years ago. Every may 15 i punch a few through her pipe just to commorate the Old Man.

MrWray 10-24-2011 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman
Ya iv got an origanal WWII 1911 usmc that has had god knows how many rounds put through before my great grandpa left her to me. Before you ask yes its legally in my possesion, Patton himself gave it to my great grandpa. At least thats the story. I know she still shoots and functions fine as heck. Iv put bout 750 rounds through her. I put her into "retirement" in my gun safe bout 3 years ago. Every may 15 i punch a few through her pipe just to commorate the Old Man.

Thats a pretty nostalgic piece, pretty awesome

trip286 10-24-2011 02:45 AM

I'd give a left one for a vintage USMC issue.