Advice on First 1911: Colt Combat Elite.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Advice on First 1911: Colt Combat Elite.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Advice on First 1911: Colt Combat Elite. UPDATE: SA Trophy Match?

I am relatively new to the use of firearms-about three months. I am on the quest for a 1911. I am not looking for a bargain-I want a gun that is very well made, has current safety features and will stand the test of time. It will be used for target shooting and home defense. It will not be a carry weapon.

In doing my research, I came upon the Colt Combat Elite. Obviously, the reputation of Colt speaks for itself. It has, I believe the features I want, and it is absolutely gorgeous!

Are there any issues with this firearm that I may not be aware of? Am I silly for spending this amount of money on a stock 1911? I did try a Ruger SR1911, and it felt very comfortable; a good fit for my medium to large hands (I'm 6'). The trigger, however, was too quick; I was firing shots too quickly. That was startling. I imagine I could adapt, but I rather have a gun with a beefier trigger pull. I also tried a Springfield RO. The trigger pull was fine on that one. It's just not as appealing to me as the Colt Combat Elite.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Update-Thoughts on the Springfield Armory Trophy Match?

My Collection:
Colt Gold Cup Nat'l Match
CZ 75BD Police
Berretta 92FS Inox
H&K P30
M&P Shield
PX4 Storm
S&W 686 Plus

Last edited by dkleiner; 05-13-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Yep, 3 months is relatively new. The Colt is a great pistol and the Combat Elite is well refined.

Most single action triggers will be relatively light compared to your other handguns. What you need to do, especially true for a new shooter is to learn trigger control. This takes practice, followed by practice and then more practice.

Many folks learn this by using a snap-cap and dry firing the pistol. This way you learn exactly where the trigger breaks without burning a lot of ammo or harming the pistol. Being a NRA range officer, I must stress that even with a snap cap, NEVER point at something you don't want to destroy, unfortunately accidents do happen.

The price of a Combat Elite does take you into the price range of some very good 1911's. Take your time and check them out. That much money will get you some nice a Springfield, Sig Sauer, a STI or any one of several others. Look at everything and buy what makes you smile whether it is the Colt or something else, shopping for a new pistol can be fun. Handle and shoot as many as you can, then make an informed decision.

Good luck and don't be shy about asking questions.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 365 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 84

biggest piece of advice when going from anything to a 1911?

practice.

after a while, you will snub pretty much anything non 1911.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #4

I agree the Colt Elite is a very nice gun. Have you looked at the Colt XSE models? I have 2 of them in Stainless Steel that have been flawless and considerably less expensive than the Elite. I also own more expensive guns, but I also take one of the Colts to the range with me regardless of what I plan on shooting that day.

When you make up your mind, check online on gunbroker or gunsamerica to get a general idea of what the gun you pick is going for. I find those sites very useful even if I am buying local. Walking into a shop knowing what I can buy online for helps me negotiate a better price. If the local guy can't or won't deal, then I just buy online.

Good luck with your decision but be warned .... once you have one 1911, you will want more

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 05-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 365 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 84

yanks, i'm probably adding an xse in stainless to my stable in the extreme near future. the only big issue I have with them is they have more sharp edges than the fusion razor I shave my head with.

on a happier note, i'll have plenty to do on rainy days de-horning it.

and yes...they are addictive. i'm probably going to be a 5 1911s and zero plastic by the end of the month...and, i'm much happier that way.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:37 AM   #6

Liked 2181 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 473

It's kind of funny that you mention "modern safety features". Most of the safety features in a 1911 are over 100 years old. The good thing about it is that they still work well. The only "recent addition" is a firing pin block, that has been around for a few decades.

The 1911 is a very good design, has ergonomics that were way ahead of the time it was designed. Colt makes good 1911s, and there are other good 1911 manufacturers out there too.

Enjoy shopping.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #7

dkleiner, Being new to the 1911, I will offer you some advice that I wish someone had given me. While there are many videos on the web showing how to properly reinstall the slide stop without scratching the frame, it can be a little tricky. The first time I did it I put the dreaded "idiot scratch" in mine. Many people don't mind the scratch but to me it was heartbreaking, just like the first dent in a brand new car. Luckily my first 1911 was a stainless model and with a little work I was able to remove it. Had it been any other finish it would have been a problem.
There is a company here in my home state of PA that makes a tool to prevent that from happening. It is only a piece of plastic that covers the area where the scratch will occur and I am sure you could make one yourself, but for $15 they send you three of them that last a long time. Their website is appropriately called www.idiotscratch.com.
Buy a set made for whatever gun you pick and use them until you get the hang of reinstalling the slide stop and save yourself that "Oh Crap" moment if a accident occurs.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yanks427,

Thanks for the heads up. Cheap insurance!

My Collection:
Colt Gold Cup Nat'l Match
CZ 75BD Police
Berretta 92FS Inox
H&K P30
M&P Shield
PX4 Storm
S&W 686 Plus

Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

here are some stickies to read over, and bother were written by a member here who has quite a bit of knowledge about 1911's.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/choosing-your-first-1911-a-21860/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/checking-used-1911-purchase-mind-69423/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-gospel-16082/

Colt is considered the icon of 1911's and is a very good option. simply because they are very well made and well finished pistols. after all they are the original and everything else is a copy.

some to consider as well are the Remington R1's an the Dan Wesson 1911's as well.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You really can't go wrong with a Colt as long as you don't overpay initially. The Colt's are well made and hold their resale value. That is notthe case with several other 1911 makers.