Advice, expertise, and thoughts
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Advice, expertise, and thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Advice, expertise, and thoughts

What's up guys, new to the forums!! So, freshly turning 21, I've decided to start my very first project, A fully customized 1911. With that being said, I need help with which brand, model, and caliber to choose from. I've got a few MUST HAVES though. It HAS to have a rail system for my tac-light, and the finish has to be either like matte, or cericoat. I'm in love with the sig scorpion! The only downfall for me, the integrated mag-well/grips. I am planning on putting a set of hogue grips on whatever my finished product will be and I'm not sure if I could do that with the scorpion. So, with all of this being said, have at it guys!! Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Welcome aboard the FTF! Your questions or musings will no doubt be answered by many members of this board who are savvy in firearms and the maintenance thereof.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2806 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 1629

Welcome to FTF, your given us the "finger" and this one we'll take, without complaint!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

My first suggestion is to purchase both book on the 1911 written by Kuhnhausen.
http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=kuhnhausen+1911&ksubmit=y
Then, get Ed Brown's CD on customizing.
http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=ed+brown+cd&ksubmit=y

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/avs%7CMake_3=1911/guntech/

(and scrap the Hogue grips and check Esmeralda http://www.esmeralda.cc/ )

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You base your gun selection on whether they can use Hogue grips?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #6

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You caught that too huh

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 03-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
I'm pretty sure I said I PLAN on putting the hogues on my finished product. Who are you to judge my selection of aftermarket grips??? That's what I've always felt comfortable shooting with and I'm not sure if I asked for you to criticize my selection. That's why I'm looking to make my 1911 CUSTOM... Just for that reason... It's what I like...

Old 03-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchytrigger View Post
I'm pretty sure I said I PLAN on putting the hogues on my finished product. Who are you to judge my selection of aftermarket grips??? That's what I've always felt comfortable shooting with and I'm not sure if I asked for you to criticize my selection. That's why I'm looking to make my 1911 CUSTOM... Just for that reason... It's what I like...
not to be a wet blanket or anything, but Canebrake happens to know quite a bit about firearms in general and 1911's specifically. because of his knowledge of the 1911 platform, many of us tend to seek his advice and opinions on them. he is one of those people who actually does know what he's talking about.

so you are up to six posts and new to the forum and you feel that twisting off on a respected member and a moderator of our forum is a good idea? well i wish you luck in finding a lot of friends now!

Old 03-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchytrigger View Post
My first 1911 was a Colt Mark IV. I was 20 years old at the time and loved the gun. I am now 42 and have owned many high quality and expensive guns. The Colt was my third favorite of all time. Still, I have had students in my shooting classes with your attitude. There is nothing wrong with listening to your elders. You did ask for advice. They will keep you safe and help hone your skills. If you had that attitude with me, I would ask you to sit down and talk about it....so please have a seat
022.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I am planning on putting a set of hogue grips on whatever my finished product will be and I'm not sure if I could do that with the scorpion.
Hogue makes a lot of different 1911 grips, including standard grips in exotic woods and molded rubber grips with finger grooves. If you are talking about the molded rubber grips with finger grooves, try standard grips first. Standard grips come in regular and thin profiles and the feel of the gun changes substantially between those two profiles.

I have shot a friend's TRP on numerous occasions with the molded rubber grips with finger grooves and, for me, the grips did not help the gun. You might do better trying an arched main spring housing as that will change how the gun sits in your hand and how it points.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 04-01-2013 at 12:20 AM.