9mm vs 45 cal - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

9mm vs 45 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I may have missed it in your earlier post but what is the reason for buying a gun? Is it for self defense like CCW, competition, general target shooting, duty carry?
When I gun shop, I look for the "perfect" gun that will fit my needs. Smaller is not always better when it comes to guns. For example a mini 9mm gun will have more "felt" recoil than a full sized .40 or .45 sometimes. Lighter weight guns generally seem to kick harder also.
The 1911 design is timeless. It has withstood the test of time and remains to be possibly the most popular handgun ever made. It, however, can be finicky and is undoubtedly more difficult for assembly/disassembly then most modern handguns.
Although, I have never fired a 9mm 1911 or BHP, you may be able to find a gun shop or friends that will let you shoot theirs and you can make a better decision based upon how they feel to you.
Good luck in your hunt

Old 02-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpratt825 View Post
Thanks, my problem is age and strength of my hands. I have difficulty operating the slide on the 1911's but prefer the feel of a good steel frame with the balance and weight of the 1911 over the new polymers.
If the 9mm is stiffer bescause of the difference in recoil spring requirements, then I will stick to the 45 and install a good progressive spring and two piece guide rod.
a stock .45 1911 you can rack the slide by putting the bushing against the edge of a table and pushing. there is no guide rod to get in the way if pulling a slide back is that much of an issue. most 9mm versions of any gun have guide rods which would get in the way of "alternate methods" of racking a slide. you can also get less than 230grn loadings for a .45 in semi-wadcutter or wadcutter formats that have much less felt recoil than light loadings in 9mm if that is an issue and corresponding lighter springs to work with.

however in just general speaking if your really having issues and want a .45 feel but just want to target shoot nothing wrong with .22LR conversions. much less felt recoil and easier operation physically. while maintaining the feel of a 1911 with a steel frame. this allows you to fire a few centerfire rounds until your tired out then switch to .22LR.

Just a few different directions you could go.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #13

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

There are plenty of 9mm platforms out there that are easy on the hands. For a classic, look a High Power or Walther P1/P38, They are really outstanding. For a slightly more modern handgun the Sig P225 is outstanding.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #14

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have a Springer 9mm 1911 that I pole holes in paper with. It's good for that but I don't think I'd have one as a carry/protection weapon but I'm a 45 guy when it comes for what I carry around with me. It's no easier to take down than the others in my opinion. But I've never had issue with how a 1911 broke down. I guess it's from having them so long.

It takes a little getting used to shooting one in 9mm I"ll say. The lack of any real recoil in that big steel frame makes it stay put almost like it was a 22

Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #15

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned both and the slide operation on a 9mm 1911 is roughly the same as on a .45 version. As far as changing the spring in your .45, if you go to light you'll batter the frame and cause operational problems.

No easy answer if hand strength is the issue. As has been mentioned, if your 1911 has the Colt type short rod & plug, you can operate the slide by pressing the bushing against a table...

Old 02-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #16

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate all of you. My decision will certailny be tempered by your responses. Thanks and good shooting.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #17

Default 9mm vs 45 cal

After reading all of the responses to my previous post, I realized that a lot of shooters are 45 cal die-hards. And that's ok. I had a Taurus 1911PT in 45 cal and it was the worst shooting handgun I have ever owned. The workmanship was sub-par and the recoil was tremendous.

I just recently satisfied my curiosity about the 9mm 1911 and purchased the Springfield Armory 1911-A1 in 9mm. I have to be honest, this is the best production semi I have ever shot. Extremely accurate with a vast difference in recoil and muzzle bounce. I know some of you are going to down grade the 9mm but it fits my needs very well.

Thanks for all of the input from those of you who did respond.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have quite a few .45 1911's and one 9mm 1911. As stated above, the 9mm's have lesser power springs. But honestly, side by side, there's no difference. If you can rack the slide of a .45 1911, then the 9mm will not be a problem. The 9mm 1911 i have(Kimber Stainless Custom Target II) is a really nice gun to shoot and ammo is alot cheaper for 9mm as compared to .45ACP. You won't go wrong with either 1911 that you choose.

Newest Threads