460 Rowland external extractor?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 460 Rowland external extractor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 460 Rowland external extractor?

Ok so I have been seriously thinking about converting one of my old Kimbers to this round for black bear. The Kimber has an external extractor. Would that be a problem? I have never had any problems with the extractor but this is a way higher pressure round. Does the kit com with an extractor? Its to late in the day to call Clark Custom and they apparently frown on emails. So does anyone have a clue about external extractors in 1911's with 460?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5984 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

it doesnt come with an extractor it uses the one on your current slide.

is the barrel cut different for an external extractor as opposed to internal on your current barrel

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #3

I dont believe so. I think everything is the same as with an internal extractor.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

then it shouldnt matter long as the barrel isnt any different and the frame is strong enough.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-20-2011, 03:55 AM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
then it shouldnt matter long as the barrel isnt any different and the frame is strong enough.
Indeed. That would mean a STEEL frame is needed for best results and longevity.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #6

Its an Eclipse so all steel.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter View Post
Ok so I have been seriously thinking about converting one of my old Kimbers to this round for black bear. The Kimber has an external extractor. Would that be a problem? I have never had any problems with the extractor but this is a way higher pressure round. Does the kit com with an extractor? Its to late in the day to call Clark Custom and they apparently frown on emails. So does anyone have a clue about external extractors in 1911's with 460?
Clark lists what/which brands of 1911's that they give an okay to for their conversions. I believe yours is one of them. My S&W's have an external extractor, and I have had no problems.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #8

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/45-acp-p-load-45448/#post545740

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #9

I spoke with them this morning and they have not heard of any problems but they are also not aware of any customers that have the external extractor. I guess I'll just give it a try.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Just be sure to wear glasses its one dirty spitter. Mine makes me look like i got black freckles on my face. The compensator sprays residue backwards.