Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   460 Rowland (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/460-rowland-37949/)

JonM 02-05-2011 12:13 AM

460 Rowland
 
after making some moolah on guns i didnt want anymore i got money to get my 460 rowland kit. the question i got is: is the compensator removable for cleaning or replacing the bushing if it breaks??

parinoid54 02-05-2011 04:01 AM

When I spoke with the lady at Clark Custom (mostly about their guide rod assembly) she told me that the comp is not "user" removeable, being torqued on the the barrel. A gunsmith, like them, is a different story. I wish I could remember her name as she has a video of her shooting the 460. Renee rings a bell.

JonM 02-05-2011 04:09 AM

thanks. guess it will have to be serviced by them if something goes wonky

parinoid54 02-05-2011 05:43 AM

I should have added that my inquest about their screw-in guide rod is that I wanted to use a different style assembly, something like a Menck, or Sprinco; which is where she brought up the comp not being something that can be removed by a back yard mechanic to disassemble the gun. Yeah, she did say anyone with a cresent wrench can force it off, but their torque specs are their own design, and removing it changes the gripping ability of the threads to return to original specs - something that will void any liability of theirs if your comp goes downrange (or all over the place) with one of your rounds. If I was running a nitrofuel dragster, I would not have Jiffy Lube change my oil.:D

JonM 02-05-2011 06:33 AM

well i dont think it would catostrophic fail. but it would definately loosen itself as you shot it due to the rotational forces of the gases hitting the compnsator.

i was mainly curious as to how it was attached not that its going to affect my decision. mainly jus idle curiosity. i always try to get as good an understanding of my firearms as possible so i can tell when something is about to go terribly wrong and prevent it.

NGIB 02-05-2011 10:07 PM

Folks it's a well engineered kit and does exactly what it's designed to do - give you .44 Magnum ballistics from a 5" 1911. Due to the spring weight (24# for carbon steel), it's a tad of a challenge to assemble and the steps vary from regular 1911 assembly - but it's not difficult to put in or take out.

NO CHANGES are made to your base gun so switching back & forth is a simple matter and I've done so a couple of times. Shooting one is really amazing as the compensator is so effective it feels like shooting a standard 1911 with self-defense ammo. It's actually a little disappointing to shoot as you feel it should kick like a .44 Magnum but it doesn't...

JonM 02-05-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 437886)
Folks it's a well engineered kit and does exactly what it's designed to do - give you .44 Magnum ballistics from a 5" 1911. Due to the spring weight (24# for carbon steel), it's a tad of a challenge to assemble and the steps vary from regular 1911 assembly - but it's not difficult to put in or take out.

NO CHANGES are made to your base gun so switching back & forth is a simple matter and I've done so a couple of times. Shooting one is really amazing as the compensator is so effective it feels like shooting a standard 1911 with self-defense ammo. It's actually a little disappointing to shoot as you feel it should kick like a .44 Magnum but it doesn't...

main point of curiosity on my part is i intend to put it on my springfield 1911A-1 and would like to parkerize the compensator to match the gun.

canebrake 02-06-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 437310)
after making some moolah on guns i didnt want anymore i got money to get my 460 rowland kit. the question i got is: is the compensator removable for cleaning or replacing the bushing if it breaks??

Yea, send it back to Renee Tyson at Clark Custom Guns and have her make it right. Tell her canebrake sent you!

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ReneeTyson.jpg

Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems.

Renee Tyson
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Toll Free 888 458 4126
M-F 8 am - 4 pm CST

canebrake 02-06-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parinoid54 (Post 437515)
I should have added that my inquest about their screw-in guide rod is that I wanted to use a different style assembly, something like a Menck, or Sprinco; which is where she brought up the comp not being something that can be removed by a back yard mechanic to disassemble the gun. Yeah, she did say anyone with a cresent wrench can force it off, but their torque specs are their own design, and removing it changes the gripping ability of the threads to return to original specs - something that will void any liability of theirs if your comp goes downrange (or all over the place) with one of your rounds. If I was running a nitrofuel dragster, I would not have Jiffy Lube change my oil.:D

It amazes me (as an engineer) why people buying an engineered assembly, the CCG 460 Rowland kit in this case, think they can make it better than what the original design/develop/test engineers have done?

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ns/caveman.gif

canebrake 02-06-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 437886)
Folks it's a well engineered kit and does exactly what it's designed to do - give you .44 Magnum ballistics from a 5" 1911. Due to the spring weight (24# for carbon steel), it's a tad of a challenge to assemble and the steps vary from regular 1911 assembly - but it's not difficult to put in or take out.

NO CHANGES are made to your base gun so switching back & forth is a simple matter and I've done so a couple of times. Shooting one is really amazing as the compensator is so effective it feels like shooting a standard 1911 with self-defense ammo. It's actually a little disappointing to shoot as you feel it should kick like a .44 Magnum but it doesn't...

+ 1 Dave and why did you divulge us 460 owners' secret that the gun shoots like a standard 5" Government on a +P diet!

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...eepimage-1.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.