Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > .45 ACP - Cost Per Round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I haven't seen any 45 in a walmart for some time...at least 6 months. If you do find it, Federal Champion is going for almost 18/box here. My reloading bench is staying active.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #32

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
I have three folks in the house shooting IDPA and three gun matches. I don't reload because I do not have time. I buy UMC 250 round bulk packs 4-5 at a time in 9mm, 40S&W and .45 at Walmarts and .223/5.56 Federal in 100 packs 5 -10 at a time. I have been doing this for a long time. I have NEVER had even 1 issue. It's the same ammo you get everywhere else and cheaper than most places.
Like I said I had heard about it but never had the problem myself. I've bought a good pit of ammo form Walmart as I do anywhere else that has it at a price I'm willing to pay. I did say though if Walmart is not their cup of tea for any reason then there are plenty of other places to get it and at good prices if you look around.

I made mention of what seems to be a pretty common qualm with people that have Walmart issues dealing with quality. I had also picked up the same info form a friend that works in the ammo manufacture industry. So I never questioned it. Being I never had an issue personally I didn't really give it much thought. Lot of people don't like Sellier & Bellot ammo for a myriad of reasons but I have never had a problem with it and buy a lot of it. It is a little hot but I like my ammo that way anyway

Old 05-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #33

Quote:
OK lets get one thing straight walmart ammo is exactly the same as the ammo you pay twice as much or 3x as much at Gander Mtn and othe stores.
Maybe, maybe not. There's more than likely a reason it's so much cheaper aside from EVERYONE else being greedy and Wal-Mart being generous. I don't know any of this for absolute fact, but nothing in life works the same as how you propose this ammo is. I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just saying it seems sketchy to me.

Quote:
So where is the problem and why all the bad mouthing?
The problem was when the 12 gauge Winchester shells failed to extract on multiple instances, from Wal-Mart in a Sears Roebuck Model 200 (not the Ted William's Edition). Everything else works fine, even now after the failures. I take as close to perfect care as possible with the gun and my techniques have never changed in how I clean and maintain it. So I'd have a very hard time believing it was because of that. Federal shells extracted fine the same day, without any cleaning between the Winchester and Federal shells.

Also my friend had some Wal-Mart shells fail to extract from his shotgun too. I don't recall the make or model, I just remember it was semi-auto. I'll have to check because now I'm curious.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The cheif factor in Walmart's pricing is of course the quantity they purchase (not generosity). You order anything in the abundance that Walmart does, you're going to see a significant price break.

I doubt there are too many examples of product "X" at Walmart being inferior to an identically packaged/titled product at a gun store. If anything might be a little lower quality, I suppose one might start with Federal's "Champion" line, which is the least expensive ammo out there right now...and I believe, a Walmart exclusive.

For all I know it could be only 90% as accurate as the stuff that costs just a couple bucks more. I'm probably not a skilled enough to recognize that difference. But it's gone "bang" for me every time and feeds flawlessly.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #35

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnacles View Post
Maybe, maybe not. There's more than likely a reason it's so much cheaper aside from EVERYONE else being greedy and Wal-Mart being generous. I don't know any of this for absolute fact, but nothing in life works the same as how you propose this ammo is. I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just saying it seems sketchy to me.
What is sketchy to you? Walmart has how many stores? They don't buy by the pallet buddy they buy enormous quantities and stock them at almost every store. Think about it like this. Your local gun store may buy 1000 boxes of UMC bulk 45acp that is 250*1000= 250,000. Walmart will come in and buy 3 times that for each store say 4000 stores sell that ammo. That is 250,000*3= 750,000*4000= 3,000,000,000 That is 3 billion rounds of ammo walmart just pruchased. Do you think they are going to pay the same price as someone who buys 250,000 rounds of ammo every 3 to 5 months? Walmart is selling that in a week maybe 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnacles View Post
The problem was when the 12 gauge Winchester shells failed to extract on multiple instances, from Wal-Mart in a Sears Roebuck Model 200 (not the Ted William's Edition). Everything else works fine, even now after the failures. I take as close to perfect care as possible with the gun and my techniques have never changed in how I clean and maintain it. So I'd have a very hard time believing it was because of that. Federal shells extracted fine the same day, without any cleaning between the Winchester and Federal shells.

Also my friend had some Wal-Mart shells fail to extract from his shotgun too. I don't recall the make or model, I just remember it was semi-auto. I'll have to check because now I'm curious.
I didn't say ammo is perfect. Ammo is made my humans and no human is perfect to to assume stuff made my humans to be perfect is ridiculous. I take much more care in crafting the ammo I shoot and I still get screw ups to this day.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
I doubt there are too many examples of product "X" at Walmart being inferior to an identically packaged/titled product at a gun store.
I think most of this kind of talk originated with a discussion about lawnmower engines on lawnmowers sold by Wallyworld. Apparently, at some point the big W specified slightly different requirements for the Briggs-n-Stratten engines on the lil Murray mowers they sold, or something along those lines.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #37

Quote:
What is sketchy to you?
I'm just sayin, if this is all true, then Wal-mart could easily still hike up the price to near the regular prices for the ammo, and make even more profit. I have never once in my entire life heard of a large (or small) corporation being so generous. There's a first time for everything as always, I'd just be really surprised. Most people don't care if they pay less when they buy stuff, they still sell it for as close to the retail value as possible.

I wasn't trying to make my posts sound like an attack of any sort on your opinion. I probably could have worded it better, I was just expressing why I felt that way. I wasn't saying ammo is going to be perfect, but when you buy a box of 100 shells and 40 of them fail to extract, there's something strange going on. That, and I'm not the only one who had problems with wal-mart brand shells. I'm sorry if I came off as rude or sounded like I was attacking you in any way, I wasn't.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #38

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The ammo you buy at Walmart is exactly the same ammo everyone else sells. A box of Blazer or Winchester White Box is the same no matter where you buy it. Walmart has large special items made just for them; however, ammo is a commodity - they just buy more than everyone else...