.45 ACP - Cost Per Round
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > .45 ACP - Cost Per Round

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gloves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Fremont,CA
Posts: 483
Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default .45 ACP - Cost Per Round

I haven't bought my 1911 yet but, I just felt my feet getting a little cold.

99% of my ammo is going to be shot at the range the other 1% will be
spent fending off baddies and the undead during the coming zombie
uprising.

I went to look up some prices on of .45 ACP. Here are some of my
findings:

Cheaper than Dirt:
.45 ACP Remington Auto, JHP, 230 Grain, 25 Round Box Golden Saber ($1.06/round)
.45 Auto+P Remington, JHP, 185 Grain, 25 Round Box Golden Saber ($1.07/round)

They have like 2-3 options that are in stock.

HOLY HELL! this sh*t is more expensive than the 12 Ga. Slug I
shoot from the old Mossberg!!!

Where I can get great cheap .45 ACP ammo? Is there a shortage? the
10mm ammo seems to cost less than the .45 ACP. If i can't figure this
out, I'm going to have to go back to looking at a 9mm pea-shooter.

__________________

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Gloves is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 05-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,585
Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Default

Wally World (in my area) has 230 gr .45 Winchester for approx $33.00 for a box of 100. Save the expensive for when SHTF / carry.

__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrumJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Here in the holler....
Posts: 4,823
Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default

There's no denying a 45 is more pricey to shoot than a 9mm or even a 40. But I do feel a lot more comfortable with the 45. Things have a way of not moving anymore after a 45ACP slug enters the picture. Compared to they stop moving after some hits with other rounds. I come to that idea living near Cincinnati Oh. The area where I lived the LEO had 9mm's. The City, county, and state mostly had 45's. Those township guys used a lot more ammo than the others did. I figured if it was goodf enough for crackhead control it was good enough for me.

__________________
DrumJunkie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Start reloading. I reload my target rounds for $0.16/round if I remember correctly. I haven't done the math recently since the prices haven't changed for my compnents

__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Shop around for ammo just like you do everything else. Also check your local gun forums and swap & sell traders. I find many good ammo deals from local folks changing calibers and such...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sewell,NJ
Posts: 4,832
Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
I haven't bought my 1911 yet but, I just felt my feet getting a little cold.

99% of my ammo is going to be shot at the range the other 1% will be
spent fending off baddies and the undead during the coming zombie
uprising.

I went to look up some prices on of .45 ACP. Here are some of my
findings:

Cheaper than Dirt:
.45 ACP Remington Auto, JHP, 230 Grain, 25 Round Box Golden Saber ($1.06/round)
.45 Auto+P Remington, JHP, 185 Grain, 25 Round Box Golden Saber ($1.07/round)
They have like 2-3 options that are in stock.

HOLY HELL! this sh*t is more expensive than the 12 Ga. Slug I
shoot from the old Mossberg!!!

Where I can get great cheap .45 ACP ammo? Is there a shortage? the
10mm ammo seems to cost less than the .45 ACP. If i can't figure this
out, I'm going to have to go back to looking at a 9mm pea-shooter.
Why use JHP for range shooting? Look for UMC, Federal or American Eagle FMJ, typically half the price at $25-27 per 50 rnds. Cabelas usually has decent pricing as does Walmart. You are correct though, .45ACP has been unusually hard to find at a good price.
__________________

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jpyle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,391
Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Default

I reload so I haven't bought any ammo in a long time. But I noticed that Jerry's Outdoor Sports had some 45 ACP for less than $20. I believe it was $18.99. I also saw some cheap stuff at Murdocks. Can't just be in my area.

__________________

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Rick1967 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Everyone pays a premium for PD ammo, deal with it!

Shop around for your range ammo.

33¢/round

.45 185gr FMJ $330/1K

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 14
Default

Don't use Hollow Points for the range, use FMJ rounds. You can find those for $.30 - .36 per round if you buy 1000 rounds at a time. If you buy 250 rounds it will cost ya about .40 - .48 per round.

__________________
jetspeed8 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stafford, Virginia,The state of insanity.
Posts: 14,043
Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Default

I paid
231 for 2000 bullets = .115 per bullet

I paid $19 1# of titegroup .002 cents per grain I use 5.5gr = .01

Brass was all free range pick up.

Primers were $25 per 1000 .025 each

So one of my hand loads cost .255 each.

This is a range fodder plinker load.

I don't load SD ammo I just buy it.

This also doesn't account for the cost of getting started into reloading.

__________________
cpttango30 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Why does a 357 or 44 Mag cost more then a 30-30?? spittinfire The Club House 16 01-20-2010 12:48 PM
How much do AKs cost today????? truevil1313 AK & SKS Discussion 11 01-31-2009 09:11 AM
Cost of SKS Starduck AK & SKS Discussion 5 05-07-2008 11:55 PM
Class 3 Cost rickwillis NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 7 08-13-2007 03:51 AM