Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   .45 ACP - Cost Per Round (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/45-acp-cost-per-round-26667/)

Gloves 05-01-2010 07:05 AM

.45 ACP - Cost Per Round
 
I haven't bought my 1911 yet but, I just felt my feet getting a little cold.

99% of my ammo is going to be shot at the range the other 1% will be
spent fending off baddies and the undead during the coming zombie
uprising.

I went to look up some prices on of .45 ACP. Here are some of my
findings:

Cheaper than Dirt:
.45 ACP Remington Auto, JHP, 230 Grain, 25 Round Box Golden Saber ($1.06/round)
.45 Auto+P Remington, JHP, 185 Grain, 25 Round Box Golden Saber ($1.07/round)

They have like 2-3 options that are in stock.

HOLY HELL! this sh*t is more expensive than the 12 Ga. Slug I
shoot from the old Mossberg!!!

Where I can get great cheap .45 ACP ammo? Is there a shortage? the
10mm ammo seems to cost less than the .45 ACP. If i can't figure this
out, I'm going to have to go back to looking at a 9mm pea-shooter. :(

danf_fl 05-01-2010 07:52 AM

Wally World (in my area) has 230 gr .45 Winchester for approx $33.00 for a box of 100. Save the expensive for when SHTF / carry.

DrumJunkie 05-01-2010 10:25 AM

There's no denying a 45 is more pricey to shoot than a 9mm or even a 40. But I do feel a lot more comfortable with the 45. Things have a way of not moving anymore after a 45ACP slug enters the picture. Compared to they stop moving after some hits with other rounds. I come to that idea living near Cincinnati Oh. The area where I lived the LEO had 9mm's. The City, county, and state mostly had 45's. Those township guys used a lot more ammo than the others did. I figured if it was goodf enough for crackhead control it was good enough for me.:D

spittinfire 05-01-2010 10:46 AM

Start reloading. I reload my target rounds for $0.16/round if I remember correctly. I haven't done the math recently since the prices haven't changed for my compnents

NGIB 05-01-2010 11:02 AM

Shop around for ammo just like you do everything else. Also check your local gun forums and swap & sell traders. I find many good ammo deals from local folks changing calibers and such...

Jpyle 05-01-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloves (Post 278903)
I haven't bought my 1911 yet but, I just felt my feet getting a little cold.

99% of my ammo is going to be shot at the range the other 1% will be
spent fending off baddies and the undead during the coming zombie
uprising.

I went to look up some prices on of .45 ACP. Here are some of my
findings:

Cheaper than Dirt:
.45 ACP Remington Auto, JHP, 230 Grain, 25 Round Box Golden Saber ($1.06/round)
.45 Auto+P Remington, JHP, 185 Grain, 25 Round Box Golden Saber ($1.07/round)
They have like 2-3 options that are in stock.

HOLY HELL! this sh*t is more expensive than the 12 Ga. Slug I
shoot from the old Mossberg!!!

Where I can get great cheap .45 ACP ammo? Is there a shortage? the
10mm ammo seems to cost less than the .45 ACP. If i can't figure this
out, I'm going to have to go back to looking at a 9mm pea-shooter. :(

Why use JHP for range shooting? Look for UMC, Federal or American Eagle FMJ, typically half the price at $25-27 per 50 rnds. Cabelas usually has decent pricing as does Walmart. You are correct though, .45ACP has been unusually hard to find at a good price.

Rick1967 05-01-2010 01:25 PM

I reload so I haven't bought any ammo in a long time. But I noticed that Jerry's Outdoor Sports had some 45 ACP for less than $20. I believe it was $18.99. I also saw some cheap stuff at Murdocks. Can't just be in my area.

canebrake 05-01-2010 01:30 PM

Everyone pays a premium for PD ammo, deal with it!

Shop around for your range ammo.

33/round

.45 185gr FMJ $330/1K

jetspeed8 05-01-2010 01:51 PM

Don't use Hollow Points for the range, use FMJ rounds. You can find those for $.30 - .36 per round if you buy 1000 rounds at a time. If you buy 250 rounds it will cost ya about .40 - .48 per round.

cpttango30 05-01-2010 02:03 PM

I paid
231 for 2000 bullets = .115 per bullet

I paid $19 1# of titegroup .002 cents per grain I use 5.5gr = .01

Brass was all free range pick up.

Primers were $25 per 1000 .025 each

So one of my hand loads cost .255 each.

This is a range fodder plinker load.

I don't load SD ammo I just buy it.

This also doesn't account for the cost of getting started into reloading.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:05 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.