45 acp barrel bushing question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 45 acp barrel bushing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 45 acp barrel bushing question

Has anyone out there fine tuned an existing barrel bushing to fit the slide? I had read that one way was to take a tapered punch and expand the I.D. to obtain a just tighter than finger tight - may need a bushing wrench fit. a little insight would be helpfull.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #2

The bushings are usually heat treated and difficult to spread. If you only need to increase it a few thousands, you should be able to do it with a tapered punch. It will take a lot of pressure. You will need a way of holding the bushing without damaging it. You will only be able to increase the diameter at the rearward part of the skirt and not the front. So there isn't much advantage to doing it.

It would be better to fit an oversize bushing for a better fit, both inside and outside.

Gary

Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 AM   #3

Brownell's used to sell 1911 Auto bushing fitting tools (Bushing Expander set of plugs [.624", .626", .628", and .630"] with a holder/remover). Here are the instructions for use. I don't see that set in the catalog any more though, but you could always give them a call.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #4

How to expand a 1911 barrel bushing.

Unfortunately, I don't see that expander set in Brownell's catalog any more.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #5

OK, here's my 3rd try at posting to this thread. I guess my previous posts never showed up because I'm a newbie and the red tape hadn't been cut...

So I'll try again. If somehow the other two posts show up here, just ignore them. I'm not really forgetful and reposting the same info repeatedly...

Here are Brownell's instructions for expanding the bushing skirt. However, I cannot find that expander set in the current Brownell's catalog. They still have the arbor, though. Perhaps a call to them might be useful.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ponderer View Post
OK, here's my 3rd try at posting to this thread. I guess my previous posts never showed up because I'm a newbie and the red tape hadn't been cut...

So I'll try again. If somehow the other two posts show up here, just ignore them. I'm not really forgetful and reposting the same info repeatedly...

Here are Brownell's instructions for expanding the bushing skirt. However, I cannot find that expander set in the current Brownell's catalog. They still have the arbor, though. Perhaps a call to them might be useful.
Reading you lima-charlie bro, lemme know if the problems persist.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.