.44 Magnum - Do They?? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > .44 Magnum - Do They??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:47 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default This thread...

...reminds me of me and a few friends I have. Push, push, push, etc.! This kind of thinking always led to "oh yeah, watch this"!! Usually nothing any good came from that.

Anyway, this thread has been very interesting to read and I hope to see something good come from it, but with safety always coming first. (not hot-loading an already large cal. gun)

Remember the "elephant handgun"???
Every fanatic of weaponry should see that on youtube.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:26 AM   #32

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3481 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, you haven't been here long enough Korben to get to know some of us - but I assure you, there won't be anything about this that gets done half @ssed.

I have one of the best Master Gunsmiths in the country there when ever I have a question - and he will be double checking my work.

I have OFFICIALLY accept Canebrake's challenge and WILL BE re-building a 1911 that features the 460 Rowland, a cartridge that WILL deliver .44 Magnum like performance in the same 1911 platform that I love so much.

I just need a little help with the name guys. Some selections are above - but this project doesn't get off the ground without a name!

JD

Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

460 Rowland Conversion Kits by Clark Custom Guns

Old 01-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default No harm, no foul...

I've been reading alot for sometime now on multiple sites and have read many of your posts. I've found them to be very descriptive and informative and have learned much.
Everybody at sometime is the newbe, so I started here.
Thanks for letting me be involved in your knowlegde of the hobby!
I'll sit back and listen and watch from here on.

[QUOTE=Dillinger;62953]Well, you haven't been here long enough Korben to get to know some of us - but I assure you, there won't be anything about this that gets done half @ssed.

I have one of the best Master Gunsmiths in the country there when ever I have a question - and he will be double checking my work.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #35

Everybody is welcome to jump in and ask questions or provide insight Korben - We like it that there isn't a select group of "insiders" here at Firearmstalk that shun the "newbs".

All the guys, and gals, here are very giving of their time and knowledge, which is one of the reasons we have so many new members joining.

JD

Old 01-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #36

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Damn you Dillinger!!! NOW I'M thinking of buying yet another 1911 frame specifically to base .460 Rowland build from. Either that or perform a "sex change operation" on 1 of my Para-Ordnance steel double stack P-14s. Just picture 15 rounds of .44mag+ power from 1911 platform. See what kind of trouble you get me into? I'm thinking Capsian steel frame if single stack. I can still get them for less than 160$ wholesale.

Note to Matt-PLEASE don't think about using anything other than full size steel frame for basis of .460 Rowland-the recoil of these makes 10mm recoil seem like shooting subsonic 9mm from 1911. I HAVE shot them (.460 Rowland), and while easily controllable with the comp supplied, it's anything but mild.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Note to Matt-PLEASE don't think about using anything other than full size steel frame for basis of .460 Rowland-the recoil of these makes 10mm recoil seem like shooting subsonic 9mm from 1911. I HAVE shot them (.460 Rowland), and while easily controllable with the comp supplied, it's anything but mild.
You don't think that a steel framed Commander sized pistol would handle it if built properly?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #38

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With the spring pressure required to counteract the cartridge, there's no way you could properly spring it to withstand the pressures generated by the .460 Rowland in less than full size government. To have a barrel/slide/recoil spring shorter, the compression rate of the spring would have to be ungodly, almost impossible to rack the slide.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Damn you Dillinger!!! NOW I'M thinking of buying yet another 1911 frame specifically to base .460 Rowland build from.
Yeah, I know - I got goaded into it by canebrake and it's only fair that I drag you down the path of the evil hand cannon with me my friend.

I have chosen the project name and will be posting the pictures of the "pre" operation version of my poor old Kimber Custom Target II tomorrow along with a plan guideline.

And then it will be up to you to follow my bread crumbs.... LOL

JD

Old 01-19-2009, 02:46 AM   #40

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default "poor old Kimber"

...what happened to the Kimber? Did you just "shoot" it out? Meaning, wear it out?
Apparently, your still OK with the it's platform for your project. I say this because I've read until I'm sick about the solid manufacturing and design of this company's products, so I HAD to have one. "One", for now.
Hope to run across a government model Colt in the future after I recover from the expenditure of the Kimber.
I'm STILL waiting for my new Raptor II custom to come in and am anticipating a very close relationship with this gun.

["""I have chosen the project name and will be posting the pictures of the "pre" operation version of my poor old Kimber Custom Target II tomorrow along with a plan guideline.

And then it will be up to you to follow my bread crumbs.... LOL"""]

JD[/QUOTE]