.38 super to .45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > .38 super to .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default .38 super to .45

As most of you are aware the RIA .38 super is at 299.99. I've never shot a .38 super and know ammo isn't exactly abundant. I also do not reload yet. If I was to purchase this would I be able to put on an upper of a .45 and use it with the .38 frame or are they totally different in regards to specs? Thanks for the help

Obviously you're not a golfer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedins4nity View Post
As most of you are aware the RIA .38 super is at 299.99. I've never shot a .38 super and know ammo isn't exactly abundant. I also do not reload yet. If I was to purchase this would I be able to put on an upper of a .45 and use it with the .38 frame or are they totally different in regards to specs? Thanks for the help
i do know that the ejector would have to be changed on the frame. and you would need new 45 mags. by the time you buy another slide, barrel and other components and change out the ejector, you could have bought a 45 ready to shoot.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply Axxe! My thinking is that I am to the point where I would like to start working on my own guns and swapping parts and fitting them, and if I were to make a mistake on this frame I would be far less disappointed compared to a new 45. I guess I am one of those people who wants a 1911 to be a 45 but at the same time this would be a nice platform to experiment with and gain knowledge.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i do know that the ejector would have to be changed on the frame. and you would need new 45 mags.--- by the time you buy another slide, barrel and other components and change out the ejector, you could have bought a 45 ready to shoot.
Axxe is correct on both points

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedins4nity View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Axxe! My thinking is that I am to the point where I would like to start working on my own guns and swapping parts and fitting them, and if I were to make a mistake on this frame I would be far less disappointed compared to a new 45. I guess I am one of those people who wants a 1911 to be a 45 but at the same time this would be a nice platform to experiment with and gain knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Axxe is correct on both points
thanks, Hossfly.

as long as you realize that there would be next to no cost savings and just wanted to do it for the fun of it. but before even trying to do something of this nature, check out buying several books on building and modifying 1911's before even attempting to. then check out the tools and equipment needed to work on them with. the 1911 isn't like the AR and can't just be built from parts. many of the parts will need to be fitted and massaged to make them work. the 1911 isn't a pistol for novices to try and build by any means and that's also why many companies that build them, like Nighthawk, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, ect., charge so much for them. they can be difficult even for veteran builders. just some advice to consider before you end up with a gun that won't work and a bunch of money spent.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will go out and get some books before diving headfirst...thanks for the help guys!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedins4nity
I will go out and get some books before diving headfirst...thanks for the help guys!
You are truly better off saving for a half decent gun and getting a conversion kit to 22. If it's still on a 1911 platform and is the same size (government, officer), then it should still work on it. This is just under the assumption that you're concerned about ammo cost. Personally, I'd jump for a SIG p220. But that's just my SIG obsession.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3094 Times on 1778 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

I believe that RIA has one on the market now that is setup for the .22 and another caliber (9mm or .45) and includes parts for both.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #9

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
You are truly better off saving for a half decent gun and
Quote:
getting a conversion kit to 22
. If it's still on a 1911 platform and is the same size (government, officer), then it should still work on it. This is just under the assumption that you're concerned about ammo cost. Personally, I'd jump for a SIG p220. But that's just my SIG obsession.
Don't even think about that- AGAIN-You can buy a complete 1911-22 style gun for the cost of a "kit" Other reasons besides cost but we've covered them several times-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Don't even think about that- AGAIN-You can buy a complete 1911-22 style gun for the cost of a "kit" Other reasons besides cost but we've covered them several times-
So the man buys two guns. Whatever works.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash