Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   .38 super to .45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/38-super-45-a-65738/)

wickedins4nity 06-03-2012 11:27 PM

.38 super to .45

As most of you are aware the RIA .38 super is at 299.99. I've never shot a .38 super and know ammo isn't exactly abundant. I also do not reload yet. If I was to purchase this would I be able to put on an upper of a .45 and use it with the .38 frame or are they totally different in regards to specs? Thanks for the help

Axxe55 06-03-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedins4nity (Post 824053)
As most of you are aware the RIA .38 super is at 299.99. I've never shot a .38 super and know ammo isn't exactly abundant. I also do not reload yet. If I was to purchase this would I be able to put on an upper of a .45 and use it with the .38 frame or are they totally different in regards to specs? Thanks for the help

i do know that the ejector would have to be changed on the frame. and you would need new 45 mags. by the time you buy another slide, barrel and other components and change out the ejector, you could have bought a 45 ready to shoot.

wickedins4nity 06-03-2012 11:45 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Axxe! My thinking is that I am to the point where I would like to start working on my own guns and swapping parts and fitting them, and if I were to make a mistake on this frame I would be far less disappointed compared to a new 45. I guess I am one of those people who wants a 1911 to be a 45 but at the same time this would be a nice platform to experiment with and gain knowledge.

HOSSFLY 06-03-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 824061)
i do know that the ejector would have to be changed on the frame. and you would need new 45 mags.--- by the time you buy another slide, barrel and other components and change out the ejector, you could have bought a 45 ready to shoot.

Axxe is correct on both points :cool:

Axxe55 06-04-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedins4nity (Post 824069)
Thanks for the quick reply Axxe! My thinking is that I am to the point where I would like to start working on my own guns and swapping parts and fitting them, and if I were to make a mistake on this frame I would be far less disappointed compared to a new 45. I guess I am one of those people who wants a 1911 to be a 45 but at the same time this would be a nice platform to experiment with and gain knowledge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 824079)
Axxe is correct on both points :cool:

thanks, Hossfly.

as long as you realize that there would be next to no cost savings and just wanted to do it for the fun of it. but before even trying to do something of this nature, check out buying several books on building and modifying 1911's before even attempting to. then check out the tools and equipment needed to work on them with. the 1911 isn't like the AR and can't just be built from parts. many of the parts will need to be fitted and massaged to make them work. the 1911 isn't a pistol for novices to try and build by any means and that's also why many companies that build them, like Nighthawk, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, ect., charge so much for them. they can be difficult even for veteran builders. just some advice to consider before you end up with a gun that won't work and a bunch of money spent.

wickedins4nity 06-04-2012 12:32 AM

I will go out and get some books before diving headfirst...thanks for the help guys!

Kenney 06-04-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedins4nity
I will go out and get some books before diving headfirst...thanks for the help guys!

You are truly better off saving for a half decent gun and getting a conversion kit to 22. If it's still on a 1911 platform and is the same size (government, officer), then it should still work on it. This is just under the assumption that you're concerned about ammo cost. Personally, I'd jump for a SIG p220. But that's just my SIG obsession.

danf_fl 06-04-2012 09:38 AM

I believe that RIA has one on the market now that is setup for the .22 and another caliber (9mm or .45) and includes parts for both.

HOSSFLY 06-04-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenney (Post 824114)
You are truly better off saving for a half decent gun and
Quote:

getting a conversion kit to 22
. If it's still on a 1911 platform and is the same size (government, officer), then it should still work on it. This is just under the assumption that you're concerned about ammo cost. Personally, I'd jump for a SIG p220. But that's just my SIG obsession.

Don't even think about that- AGAIN-You can buy a complete 1911-22 style gun for the cost of a "kit" :confused: Other reasons besides cost but we've covered them several times-

Kenney 06-04-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Don't even think about that- AGAIN-You can buy a complete 1911-22 style gun for the cost of a "kit" :confused: Other reasons besides cost but we've covered them several times-

So the man buys two guns. Whatever works.