Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   357 Sig 1911 opinions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/357-sig-1911-opinions-47172/)

AznZOhAn 08-21-2011 07:07 PM

357 Sig 1911 opinions

This just my opinion, but I'd like to see Colt, SA, Kimber, or Sig make a 1911 in 357 Sig. I love the caliber and I love 1911s and I'd like see a major manufacturer produce it. I know STI makes one but that is all I've seen. I know nothing about STI except they're made in Texas. I'd rather have it from SA or Colt. Any ideas or feed back?

rigjumpr 08-21-2011 08:23 PM

The GP6 models are built for STI (to STI specifications) by Grand Power in Slovakia. The Spartans are built for STI (to STI specifications) in the Philippines by the STI division of Armscorp. All of the rest of our pistols are built right here in Georgetown, TX.

the following is for the STI Eagle STI International - The STI

Wambli 08-21-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AznZOhAn (Post 567411)
This just my opinion, but I'd like to see Colt, SA, Kimber, or Sig make a 1911 in 357 Sig. I love the caliber and I love 1911s and I'd like see a major manufacturer produce it. I know STI makes one but that is all I've seen. I know nothing about STI except they're made in Texas. I'd rather have it from SA or Colt. Any ideas or feed back?

I like the .357 SIG. I know a lot of folks think of it as gimmicky but I had a SIG P239 in that chambering that I ended up giving my buddy as a gift and I really liked that gun.

I think a 1911 in .357 Sig might be a neat gun and I have considered getting one made chambered for it's big brother the .400 Corbon for short range deer hunting.

AznZOhAn 08-22-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wambli

I like the .357 SIG. I know a lot of folks think of it as gimmicky but I had a SIG P239 in that chambering that I ended up giving my buddy as a gift and I really liked that gun.

I think a 1911 in .357 Sig might be a neat gun and I have considered getting one made chambered for it's big brother the .400 Corbon for short range deer hunting.

That would be really nice, I've read about 400 coobon and it's impressive. You'd mutilate the deer.

Wambli 08-22-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AznZOhAn (Post 567727)
That would be really nice, I've read about 400 coobon and it's impressive. You'd mutilate the deer.

lol... I don't know about that but it would be really handy for the ones that sneak too close to the tree stand for me to reach for my rifle. I like having a handgun in a crossdraw rig for that purpose. I can sneak it out and shoot before bambi figures it out. Used to have a S&W .44 Mag Mauntain Gun for that but it was on my buddies bucket list so I sold it to him. Now it might be the LAR grizzly that fills that need but I would like to get something that I can wrap my hand around a little better. I also have a EAA Witness in 10mm but that is one big honking gun with way more rounds than I need for this job...

Gojubrian 08-22-2011 12:42 PM

One caliber is reserved for 1911's, the .45acp. The only other caliber I would even consider in a 1911 is a 10mm.

;) :D :cool:

AznZOhAn 08-22-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

lol... I don't know about that but it would be really handy for the ones that sneak too close to the tree stand for me to reach for my rifle. I like having a handgun in a crossdraw rig for that purpose. I can sneak it out and shoot before bambi figures it out. Used to have a S&W .44 Mag Mauntain Gun for that but it was on my buddies bucket list so I sold it to him. Now it might be the LAR grizzly that fills that need but I would like to get something that I can wrap my hand around a little better. I also have a EAA Witness in 10mm but that is one big honking gun with way more rounds than I need for this job...

The white tail deer in central Texas are small, I think a 400 corbon would mess them up something bad. A friend of mine shot a deer that snuck up on him with a 357 mag, he shot 6 times and hit it once in the hip area. According to the 357 mag was a lot of round that deer, cause it ripped about half pound of meat out it.

AznZOhAn 08-22-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigjumpr
The GP6 models are built for STI (to STI specifications) by Grand Power in Slovakia. The Spartans are built for STI (to STI specifications) in the Philippines by the STI division of Armscorp. All of the rest of our pistols are built right here in Georgetown, TX.

the following is for the STI Eagle STI International - The STI

Nice gun, but that's more than I can afford right now. I'd like to see it in something about the size of SA champion or EMP.

AznZOhAn 08-22-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

My opinion is that it's a great round and smart design. The took a 357 mag and compressed it down to fit in a medium or small semi auto frame. Instead of 5-7 shots, you get 10 to 15 shots. The round is very accurate, I shot 100 yards with a Golcks 32c and Sig 229. At 100 I hit 8-10 out of 13 in the silhouette, I had a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel that would do 6 for 6 center mass at 100 yards. My thoughts are the 357 sig would be good for pistol hunting deer or hogs, personal defense, and competition shooting. I would love to see it on a 1911 frame made one of the major 1911 manufacturers, I know SA, kimber, and para have made 40 S&W, so those would just need a barrel swap.

rigjumpr 08-22-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AznZOhAn

Nice gun, but that's more than I can afford right now. I'd like to see it in something about the size of SA champion or EMP.

Understand. Same here, hell right now I will can only look until the gulf opens up again I be looking at hi-points. :(