1st Detonics MTX 1911 produced + the prototype: PHOTOS/reveiw - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1st Detonics MTX 1911 produced + the prototype: PHOTOS/reveiw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I just can't see how a double stack grip can be thinner than a single stack. I'd love to see a photo of a caliper comparison between the two.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I just can't see how a double stack grip can be thinner than a single stack. I'd love to see a photo of a caliper comparison between the two.
Its actually pretty simple, the wood grips on a single stack 1911 are fairly thick, but because the grip is milled into the metal of this gun, there is no additional thickness of the wood slabs, so the thin walls of the metal grip, and the ability to use the machining to contour all angles of the grip, allow for excellent ergonomics.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
Its actually pretty simple, the wood grips on a single stack 1911 are fairly thick, but because the grip is milled into the metal of this gun, there is no additional thickness of the wood slabs, so the thin walls of the metal grip, and the ability to use the machining to contour all angles of the grip, allow for excellent ergonomics.
Oh, I see where you're getting the measurements now. I was thinking a bare frame comparison of the two. In which case, my 1911s measure 0.755" thick on the frame. But adding standard thickness grips increase the thickness like you said. That's why I like slim grips!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a fat grip guy myself, but . . .

As for the grip 'feel' it is better than any of the double stack guns I've ever tried with the possible exception of the CZ 75 grips, and that is my favorite double stack of all time (or it was until now?). This new grip does not feel large, but it does fill your hand, of the people who've tried it, none has said that the grip was too large for their hand. I think the secret is the way they were able to use the CNC machines to radius everything on the grip, add the relief under the trigger guard, and make the cut out for the web of your hand to come up high under the beavertail. All those things add up to a very well shaped grip.

I am curious, however, too see how the grip feels in a wet hand. The triangular cuts are fairly gripping to a dry hand, but it will be interesting to see how it shoots with a wet hand.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Interesting!

Do you have any pics showing it beside similarly-sized 1911's and maybe some other firearms. It is hard to really judge size without something known to compare to.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Interesting!

Do you have any pics showing it beside similarly-sized 1911's and maybe some other firearms. It is hard to really judge size without something known to compare to.
Just so happens that I snapped some of those photos too.

TOP LEFT + BOTTOM LEFT = Detonics DTX
MIDDLE LEFT = Detonics CombatMaster
TOP RIGHT = Para Warthog sub-compact
MIDDLE RIGHT = CZ 75 P-01 compact
LOWER RIGHT = Safari Arms Enforcer (Colt Officer size)

Detonics MTX compact vs Safari Arms Enforcer (Colt Officer Model size)

Detonics MTX 12 shot compact vs Para Warthog (10 shot)

Detonics MTX 12 shot compact vs Detonics CombatMaster (6 shot)

Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #17

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
Just so happens that I snapped some of those photos too.

TOP LEFT + BOTTOM LEFT = Detonics DTX
MIDDLE LEFT = Detonics CombatMaster
TOP RIGHT = Para Warthog sub-compact
MIDDLE RIGHT = CZ 75 P-01 compact
LOWER RIGHT = Safari Arms Enforcer (Colt Officer size)

Detonics MTX compact vs Safari Arms Enforcer (Colt Officer Model size)

Detonics MTX 12 shot compact vs Para Warthog (10 shot)

Detonics MTX 12 shot compact vs Detonics CombatMaster (6 shot)
Hate to beat the horse but i'd love to see a pic of it beside a 1911 with the backs (1911 MSH) toward the camers- Having a hard time wraping the thickness thing around my brain

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Hate to beat the horse but i'd love to see a pic of it beside a 1911 with the backs (1911 MSH) toward the camers- Having a hard time wraping the thickness thing around my brain
I was too Hoss. I had to get the caliper out after mine. What the OP is saying is that the Detonics with grips is slightly thinner than a 1911 with standard thickness grips. Without seeing a picture of the Detonix, I can at least say that the image of the table the OP posted with the grip thicknesses is accurate for the standard 1911 with regular thickness grips. I can see how it would be possible have grips molded so that they are inletted into the frame of the Detonix rather than sitting flat against the frame like the standard 1911.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #19

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
I was too Hoss. I had to get the caliper out after mine. What the OP is saying is that the Detonics with grips is slightly thinner than a 1911 with standard thickness grips. Without seeing a picture of the Detonix, I can at least say that the image of the table the OP posted with the grip thicknesses is accurate for the standard 1911 with regular thickness grips. I can see how it would be possible have grips molded so that they are inletted into the frame of the Detonix rather than sitting flat against the frame like the standard 1911.
Makes sense- Now back to that mag release

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I should probably pull the guns back out of the safe and take more measurements when I get some time. Realize that there are many different places to measure this grip, and the fact that it is relieved for the web of your hand makes for a shorter pull length, that the width measurement is not taken at the very bottom where but rather near the midpoint area and also that the cut under the trigger guard also makes for a more comfortable grip for those with smaller hands. The bottom of the grip, is fairly large, but very little of your hand actually wraps around the bottom of the grip, it wraps around the area directly behind the trigger, and that is where the grip is relieved. Hopefully this makes some sense?

Quote:
I'm a big fan of fancy grips and honestly if they could have shaved in a shallow recess where they have the triangular grip pattern I'd be willing to glue in a fancy wood veneer (not too different that the competition guys who use skateboard tape on their grips but good looking). But hey, that is just me, I like wood.

Quote:
Makes sense- Now back to that mag release
I'll admit that I'm not sold on it. I don't have a holster that accepts a gun with an accessory rail so I had not yet tried to carry this gun. Its on the wish list from Santa. As I wrote earlier, it was tested by all sorts of guys in the pre-production phase and they overwhelmingly endorsed it. But they were not coming from the concealed carry perspective, which is my primary use for compact pistols. I've introduced and help train some guys in IDPA but I don't compete in any shooting sports anymore, I can see its advantages for police, various government types and competitors, but not necessarily for me. Time and testing will tell the story.

Last edited by melensdad; 12-01-2011 at 02:38 AM.