1st Detonics MTX 1911 produced + the prototype: PHOTOS/reveiw
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1st Detonics MTX 1911 produced + the prototype: PHOTOS/reveiw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 1st Detonics MTX 1911 produced + the prototype: PHOTOS/reveiw

I've been a total slacker lately, announcing the new Detonics compact pistol, talking about it, but not posting much. Blame my daughter and her high school fencing team (I'm on the coaching staff/weapons repair) and the gun came off the production line right as the competition season started. So I've been really busy!!!

So first up is the first gun off the production line. As a favor to me, my initials are part of the serial number, and they threw in a special presentation case because this is the very first gun. This one is going into one of the gun safes and will not be fired. Other than the test shots the factory ran through the gun, this one is/will remain, a virgin safe queen.

It is a double stack aluminum framed, modular, 1911. The compact grips hold 12 rounds of 45acp. The trigger has ZERO over travel and only about 1/8" of an inch of take up before it snaps. The grip is angled a bit more than a traditional 1911 and has a cutout at the rear for the web of your hand and is relieved under the trigger to allow for a higher grip. The combination should push the recoil down the arm and reduce muzzle flip compared to a traditional 1911. The slide is traditional 1911 design, as is the trigger, hammer, linkage, etc. Its a 1911 but the frame/grip are modernized to allow for a better grip on the gun and the double stack magazine.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is the prototype gun that was used to develop this model. Its engraved with the NEMESIS designation instead of the MTX designation because during the prototype phase that was what they were going to call this gun. As part of the serial number, my initials and 001 have been incorporated into the number. This gun was produced in June of this year and has probably had 20,000 rounds or more run through it at the factory. I have not YET shot this gun, this one will be used by me, since its already been shot, its not like I am going to lower the value by using a used gun.

You may notice in the photos the magazine release is very tall, at first I thought it odd, but it feels really good, I'm not sure if it will snag up in a holster, that is yet to be determined. I don't have a holster that will fit this gun (yet) because none of my 1911 holsters are set up for accessory rails.

The gun is very light, not sure the exact weight, but I'd bet in the 25 to 26 ounce range.

The grip is AMAZING in your hand. The guys at the FFL loved it, the guys in the cigar lounge love it. I love it. Its a bit odd looking but put it in your hand and you'll understand why it looks the way it looks!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

More of the prototype pistol:

Old 11-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

That's definitely interesting. Not really my style though. Thanks for the photos and the write-up!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5984 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

very pretty gun. not my style little too wide for ccw for my tastes. i think your gonna have problems with inadvertant mag ejections with that enormous mag release button.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #6

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Whats the price gonna be on it?

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #7

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
very pretty gun. not my style little too wide for ccw for my tastes. i think your gonna have problems with inadvertant mag ejections with that
Quote:
enormous mag release button
Does it really protrude - like a half inch- or just look like it in the pics
I like the looks overall but mabe again the pics but grip area looks FAT---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To address questions from both PMs and here in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
Whats the price gonna be on it?
The MSRP on these guns is $1500. That puts it in the price range of the Kimbers, etc but well below Baer, Wilson, etc.

The "all black" gun is actually 2 tone dark grey frame under a semi-gloss black slide. The gun that is the prototype gun is a light grey frame under semi-gloss black slide.

Buying these guns is a simple matter of contacting the company and ordering one, they will ship it to your FFL. You can specify if you want the light or dark frame with the black slide.

You can contact them via their website => Detonics Defense Technologies: Enhancing Combat Precision
Detonics Defense
609 S. Breese
Millstadt, IL 62260
Phone: 1-618-476-3200
Fax: 1-(618)-476-3221

They don't even have these guns shown/listed for sale on their website yet so you have to ask!!! Best bet is to call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
Does it really protrude - like a half inch- or just look like it in the pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
i think your gonna have problems with inadvertant mag ejections with that enormous mag release button.
When I talked to Bruce Siddel, president of Detonics, he said that the mag release is intentionally tall, that it was tested by all sorts of operators (police, various government agents, competition shooters) and they overwhelmingly wanted the release to be tall enough to quickly engage in a stress situation. He also said that they've not had any holster issues with the release snagging, disengaging, etc in their testing. I'm sure that some will criticize the mag release, some will like it, some will live with it, etc. But no, it does not protrude a half-inch, but yes it is tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
little too wide for ccw for my tastes
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
grip area looks FAT---
It looks wider than it is. In fact it is the SAME WIDTH as a regular 1911. Seriously, no wider than that which was born from the mind of John M Browning!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:05 AM   #9

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You don't mean it's the same thickness as a standard 1911, do you?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
You don't mean it's the same thickness as a standard 1911, do you?
Yes, that is what I mean. The grip of this new DETONICS MTX is no fatter, and actually ever so slightly thinner, in width, than the grip of a single stack 1911.

They were apparently able to do that by using advanced CNC machining and this gun's grip is machined inside and out on a machine that allows for complex curves.

For those concerned about the grip size, here is some information and comparison that I can release. The new Detonics pistols is designated the MTX, the traditional Detonics is designated the CM.

The grip, by the way, holds 12 rounds of 45acp and is 5/8" longer than the original CombatMaster grip. That makes this grip just about "Officer" size instead of the shortened CombatMaster size which left your little finger grasping for air.

You can see the new gun's grip is actually going to be similar to, or smaller, in most ways that the Glock 26, a traditional 1911 or a Sig 250. Bear in mind we are comparing a 45acp Double-Stack with 2 popular 9mm Double Stacks and a traditional Single Stack.

Hopefully this will help clear up some things.