1st 1911...to crimson or not? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1st 1911...to crimson or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4824 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Copernicus

I respectfully disagree with the theme here that lasers are not worth the cost. Anyone who's had to draw down will tell you that in that moment, with the adrenelin pumping, you will "tunnel vision" on the threat and the last thing you will consider looking at are your sights.

My house pistol is a Sig 226 .40 with a Streamlight/laser combo. Adds about 300 to the cost and you need a "rail" gun to mount it but I would not want to be without it if trouble shows up at 2am.

Tack

PS-5" barrel for a 1911 is good advice. The longer sight radius will give you better range results and reliability exceeds that of the "shorter" 1911's

Old 07-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #22

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Copernicus

I respectfully disagree with the theme here that lasers are not worth the cost. Anyone who's had to draw down will tell you that in that moment, with the adrenelin pumping, you will "tunnel vision" on the threat and the last thing you will consider looking at are your sights.
At the average distances for SD issues if you have had any training what so ever you should be able to hit a target at out to 10 yards with or without a laser.

And I am a pretty good example of one that has been put in that position I am sad to say.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in the pro laser camp, especially for home defense. You guys know why, you're half asleep, it's dark and you've got to get on target ASAP.

Besides that, when I started into handguns last year I found that the laser was a great tool in assisting me to see what I needed to do to hit the target. It gave me a line of sight.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 07-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #24

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

How does the laser help you see better? Half asleep you still have to acquire a target. And I can't see a laser help you tell friend from foe.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Lasers also help when you are out of position. You can just look where the laser is no matter if you are laying in bed shooting over someone, on the floor in an awkward position,etc....

I think lasers add a great addition to have in a real self defense situation.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Lasers also help when you are out of position. You can just look where the laser is no matter if you are laying in bed shooting over someone, on the floor in an awkward position,etc....

I think lasers add a great addition to have in a real self defense situation.
+1 I couldn't have said it better.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #27

i would love a set of crimson trace it would just be another toy for me and would be a lot of fun

let no talents go unused

Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #28

Liked 4824 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
At the average distances for SD issues if you have had any training what so ever you should be able to hit a target at out to 10 yards with or without a laser.

And I am a pretty good example of one that has been put in that position I am sad to say.
DJ-I agree with your statement. All I'm saying is that 2 a.m. in bed is nothing like 2 p.m. at the range or on the street. Blurred vision and being out of position can be deadly. Any device that illuminates a possible threat, "really important if you have teen's", and allows an accurate shot regardless of position, is an advantage I'll gladly pay for and train with.

I think we'd both agree that NO amount of ninja gear will save your life if you lack dicipline in your trianing.

TACK

Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #29

I too am pro-laser. Pushing sixty, and with slightly shaking hands, I can no longer hold open sights "on target" well enough for a quick followup shot. In an emergency "do something now" situation, just looking for a red dot is a saviour (sic) if there is no time to assume a proper stance, or if crowded by surrounding items.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
I'm in the pro laser camp, especially for home defense. You guys know why, you're half asleep, it's dark and you've got to get on target ASAP.

Besides that, when I started into handguns last year I found that the laser was a great tool in assisting me to see what I needed to do to hit the target. It gave me a line of sight.
I couldn't disagree with you more!!! Lasers are a crutch true and simple. If it's too dark for you to see your sights, it's too dark for you to see your target and know if your target is a target or not.

There is no replacement for front sight focus!!! No laser in the world will help you if you're looking over your gun to find your little red dot. If you're on target on trigger your focus should be on your front sight. Even if it's only a flash sight picture.

Training... training... training...
Front Sight... Front Sight... Front Sight.

Dutch1911
1/*